Up with the lark - shopping bags

• Administrator

Please remember that most people think that you posting is simply about buying handbags, however now we know there were a few hundred people queueing at the East Dulwich Sainsburys to buy one that's a different matter. Moved back.

Are they nice handbags and did you manage to get one?

Ah. I see.

At first it sounds a bit silly, but then I suppose if it encourages those who wouldn't otherwise have used a bag for life or avoided using too many placcy bags to start doing so then it's probably a good thing.

(Whether that's actually the case, though, I don't know...)

Am glad that Sainsbo's etc. are 'doing their bit' but I would much prefer that there be a tax put on placcy bags, as in Ireland. But the govt. won't do that as it thinks people are more put off by such a proposal than they are, say, its decision to invade a sovereign nation on the pretext that it had deadly weapons ready to fire off at us at any moment. My name's Ben Elton, etc...Nero

The plastic bag tax has worked well in Ireland & I've got used to carrying around a cloth bag in my handbag since living there. Although I do get odd looks in shops in London 8 times out of 10 for saying i don't need a plastic bag.....time for a change methinks.

Er, what's your logic Jeremy?

Dub may use bin liners so he/she should have to use plastic bags from shops too?

The less plastic used, the better I'd have thought.

For the record, (self righteous mode)I use biodegradable bin liners and take my satchel to the shops.

We have cloth bags from SMBS and Ed's, maybe other traders could join in and get the green brownie points as well as free advertising.

Sorry, probably didn't explain very well. A lot of people use carrier bags as bin liners, hence no need to buy additional bin liners. If they didn't get plastic bags they'd have to buy bin liners, so they're not cutting down their plastic consumption.

Understood.

The thing that pains me about re-using plastic bags in this way, which I agree is recycling, is that the contents are sealed in a plastic sarcophagous that inhibites the potential breakdown of waste thus adding to landfill. Or thats what I think anyway, unless someone knows better?

Anyway, I'm straying off topic.

Whilst I'm here, if anyone buys a newspaper or single item and puts it in a plastic bag in front me, I apologise for bringing you to task in advance. I'm sure you have a very good reason :)

Yes, I no longer use bags if I can avoid, ie I have my gay bag on me and I'm just buying a CD or some tooth paste, but sometimes its unavoidable. I'd have no objection to my Sainsbury's bill going up by 50p if they used biodegradable ones.

Let's faces it it's absurdly pricey anyway!