Sand in Peckham rye park

The sand that has appeared on Peckham rye- childrens sand play area or dog toilet? Currently being used as both. You put sand in the middle of a park kids are going to want to jump in it (mine included) & dogs will poo in it (mine tried but I didn't let her unlike other dog owners) Pretty disgusting & a little confusing..

Definitely there for the pitch maintenance but currently brilliant for children. Gutted as had so much fun there yesterday so went back today and found so many dog poo's. Completely aware that it's so appealing for dogs but just, naively hoped owners would know that children would want to play in it too and would clean up as they would else where.

Dogs are allowed to roam free on that part of the Rye. Owners should be picking up solid waste but dogs will still wee in sand and not all dog owners behave responsibly. This is not the first year that this has happened, so I would have hoped these lessons had been learnt.

How about putting the sand for groundsmen in the picnic area? This is contained and dog free, so would mean that kids could play in it safely. Surely a cripplingly bureaucratic "risk assessment" by Southwark should have picked this up?

How about some parents acting responsible and not allowing their children to play in sand that has clearly not been allocated to their play area? If parents want sand provided for their children to play in, why not request it, and have it safely put in the child playing area, whereby it is protected by high railings and a dog free area.

Simple sense really.

That's fair enough, but I think people weren't really clear why it was there perhaps (whether it was intended to be 'play sand' or not). Either way, doesn't justify people letting their dogs do their business there (or anywhere else) and not then clearing it up.

I have watched the children enjoying the sand. And think it would be really nice to have a sandpit for children in the park in the summer months. When I was a child growing up here we had sand in the playground. a dog free zone!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Ha ha, some people really don't like an opinion that differs to theirs do they! Bravo One Dulwich - you're magnificently rattling the cages of people who don't want to hear a differing opinion and the fact they get so irate about it is the icing on the cake! Some spend so much emotional energy trying to convince themselves One Dulwich is some shadowy, agitator state-funded lobby group when all they are is a group of local residents giving a voice to the majority of residents impacted by the measures.
    • @Earl, Be assured, it is purely a local group. In fact it is a genteel group of Dulwich area residents, mostly ladies , who are a little  reluctant to publish their individual names as they do not wish to be targets for hostility from internet trolls. Local residents who attended the anti-LTN gatherings in Dulwich would have easily recognised the active members of the group. Should you have any queries about funding, it is quite easy to send them an email.
    • Hi  I have a spare old wheelbarrow that you could have for free. You’d need to come and collect it from Telegraph Hill, so drop me a message if you’re still looking and we can arrange a time best wishes carrie
    • This is quite a serious allegation. What evidence is there of this? Pressured how and by whom? This is quite a spin on ‘it’s been agreed with the emergency services’. They think the vehicles pictured driving through with partially covered plates are the result of ‘poor signage’ 🤔  If it is as they say ‘small numbers’ driving through the square, that doesn’t suggest that the signage is unclear. I mean who honestly believes it’s possible to drive through there without noticing the signs / planters (assuming you’re driving with due care and attention)?! 🤨  Also, haven’t ‘One’ opposed any improvements to the layout / landscaping and signage proposed by Southwark? It’s all a bit desperate. At the height of the LTN ‘controversy’ a number of co-ordinated ‘One’ groups popped up across London. It doesn’t feel like a local grassroots movement, but has all the hallmarks of astroturfing. The lack of transparency about it’s funding / sponsorship and structure does not help with this impression. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In