Fake ' Sponsored walk for Red Cross' - back in the area

J27

A young woman claiming to be raising money for the Red Cross knocked at our door yesterday evening (Monday 26 Feb. Upland Rd). She claimed my husband agreed some time ago to give her ?20 for a sponsored walk. I asked him later, and he has no memory of it - and says he wouldn't promise money on the doorstep anyway.

I thought I recognised her from a year or two ago, when someone very similar came round with the same story, but saying she was raising money for a different charity - I don't remember which one. She said my husband had agreed to give her ?20 if she completed the walk. She showed me his name on a long list of names and addresses. As he wasn't in, and she seemed genuine and very sincere, I paid her. I was only suspicious when she came back some weeks later claiming she hadn't been paid and was collecting the last few payments. I said I had already paid her and wouldn't again - she seemed puzzled, but was very convincing so I couldn't be 100% sure it wasn't a genuine mistake. In any case, I didn't pay her again!

Has anyone else had her knocking on their door? Description: maybe early 20s; black British; wearing a red tabard with Red Cross on; very friendly and genuine-seeming. I didn't ask for ID, as I was suspicious straight away and just wanted to finish the conversation - now I wish I had asked for ID, out of interest. I imagine both the tabard and any ID could be faked quite easily. She didn't claim to work for the Red Cross, just to be raising money for them, so I don't think there's any point in contacting the RC to ask if it's genuine. She could genuinely be a concerned member of the public - last time she said she belonged to a youth group who often raised money for charity. Without further verifiable details there's no way of proving anything.

NB I like to give to charity, but I don't like being conned...

Just thought I'd raise the issue in case anyone has any ideas? ...

The red cross symbol is a protected symbol under various international conventions - in the UK it is the responsibility of the Secretary of State for Defence to ensure it is appropriately used and not employed in such a manner which could call into question its validity for its role on the battlefield as a symbol of protection.

Given their lawyers have in the past been extremely hot on any misuse of the Red Cross symbol, to the extent of asking pantomime nurses to not wear the symbol, it is unlikely that the RC would endorse anyone collecting for money wearing their symbol. (The things you learn in obscure jobs!)

I strongly suspect it is a con. If it happens again it may be worth trying to get an image and reporting it to the Red Cross as their lawyers, I suspect based on prior experience, would be keen to pursue.

The British Red Cross do door to door fundraising (see advert below), but that is different to collecting for a sponsored walk.

British Red Cross Door to Door Fundraiser

https://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/british-red-cross/british-red-cross-door-to-door-fundraiser/556255?token=Pjm%2bhF660UA%3d&utm_source=jobalert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=regularjobfiltered&utm_campaign=daily&tsid=3

I have to say that I tend to say I will make any donation through the website. I have no intention of giving my bank details to a complete stranger on the doorstep (or the high street for that matter).

When I lived in Soames Street we were always having various charities knocking on the door. Thankfully they don't seem to come down here.

It's usual to have a list - which your husband would have signed if he had sponsored them.

It does stink of a scam unfortunately.

It is possible that someone sponsored her and she got muddled up between houses - but either way - shockingly poor organization skills and for that alone, I would keep away in future.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm afraid it was a scam - she was back this evening (7.55pm). When I told her (politely but firmly) that my husband had no memory of sponsoring her, she looked surprised. I said goodbye and closed the door. Two minutes later there was a very loud knock on the door. I waited a moment, then went back. She'd upended all my flowerpots on the doorstep,and broken the plants, and gone.

I'm going to report it to 101, as although it's not the worst crime in the world, these things are pretty unpleasant, and I hate to think of people - especially vulnerable people - being scammed.

If she comes to your door, and you agree with me that it's a scam, it would be great if you'd consider phoning 101 (or do it online)- although I realise that in the scheme of things it's not going to be a priority for the police... Thanks!

Generally I don't open my door unless I'm expecting someone.

This evening someone knocked on my door.

He told me there's 51% of households in this area being overcharged by utility companies.

I told him I wasn't interested in saving money... He sounded abit uncomfortable whilst I was talking to him through the door but I didn't care.

I'm really not interested in answering my door to some nonce whilst I'm having family time!

She came to my house in Hillcourt Road last night around 7pm. Was in the middle of dinner so I simply said it was not a good time and she turned away without a word and looking very grumpy!

Left a pretty bad impression of the Red Cross so I was suspicious.

This seems prima facie to be criminal activity and should be reported. As a rule of thumb if you choose never to give at the door under any reason (except, perhaps, to someone known to you, although many years ago I did have a neighbour who used this to scam her own friends and acquaintances - she was also in a position of trust!) you will find it easier to make decisions and immediately turn away people begging or scamming. Giving to charities of your choice through recognised routes (directly to the charity etc.) also allows the charity, if you are a tax payer, to claim back the tax on your donation, boosting it by 20%.

yes seems i was scammed last night around 6.30 7pm on Overhill Road. Same girl as your description. I gave her ?5, it was only as she was leaving and just put it in her pocket that i felt something wasn't right. Was busy cooking so didn't think any more of it till this morning.

Will tell the neighbours, sounds like she may be back. going to report it to police too.