We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.nannycentral.co.uk

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
messageRe: Council parks to charge £2ph parking fee from 1 April
Posted by first mate February 17, 04:53PM

But itís not suggested there should be free parking for everyone, and the selfishness of those who drive to the park without genuinely needing to should mot be used to penalise those with genuine need. As you now seem to acknowledge, many with genuine need are being refused BBs by the Council, who are responsible for that decision; the same Council that will further penalise them by charging them to park. There is a genuine issue here that should be properly addressed.

The option of free parking on roads nearby is almost certainly short-lived as CPZ creep intensifies.

Posted by richard tudor February 17, 06:02PM

It would make a great deal more sense if parking charges are to be introduced, if they have to be, to impose them on weekends.

During the week many of the people using the park are elderly walking their dogs and meeting up with similar people, a sort of mobile social club which saves Southwark money. There are not many other users during the week unless the schools are on holiday when it turns into a circus.

Which I do not have a problem with. I would never consider going to Dulwich Park on a sunny weekend at my age.

How many so called Southwark experts have stayed in the park for a full day for a full week and to see what goes on?

It does seem that many of the decisions are made by, in my view, by children who have no concept of real life outside the classroom for another age group.

For a good few years now Southwark has been reorganising and making redundant people who had real life experience and how Southwark really works i.e through the old system of Housing Offices and local Housing Officers. All now gone.

Large offices only now Tooley Street and Queens Road, North and South Southwark.

Now it appears that spreadsheet decisions are the norm plus consultations.

From experience very few people using the park car park are commuters during the week. Did anyone ask the parks office for their take on the matter?

Again this idea will impact on many who cannot afford to pay. If such decisions regarding parking are made it should consider those who cannot afford the charges.

It appears that many on here support charges who do not have a problem paying, have no problems with mobility or public transport. Wait till they find their street jammed with cars.

Posted by exdulwicher February 17, 06:33PM

richard tudor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> For a good few years now Southwark has been
> reorganising and making redundant people who had
> real life experience and how Southwark really
> works i.e through the old system of Housing
> Offices and local Housing Officers. All now gone.
>
> Large offices only now Tooley Street and Queens
> Road, North and South Southwark.
>
That's cuts to council budgets for you - all the "local" staff with local knowledge made redundant, everything run from centralised offices to save money, day-to-day "experience" of those staff lost in favour of consultations and modelling. To be fair that's not really Southwark's fault, they (and every other council) have had those cuts imposed on them by Tory Government.

> It appears that many on here support charges who
> do not have a problem paying, have no problems
> with mobility or public transport. Wait till they
> find their street jammed with cars.

As I mentioned a page or so ago, I suspect that there's going to be some very undesirable knock-on effects of this - namely that residents of Court Lane, Eynella, maybe Eastlands Crescent and possibly Gallery Road are suddenly going to find that there's an awful lot of cars all trying to park as close as possible to the gates. One other possibility might be that people drive into the park, unload kids/bikes/scooters/prams/dogs and then turn round and drive straight out again (to park somewhere else or to go home and then return later to pick up again) leading to MORE traffic.
I assume that if we've all thought of that then Southwark Council must have thought of it too but it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out and what the response is...

Posted by wulfhound February 18, 02:48PM

Quote:
It does seem that many of the decisions are made by, in my view, by children who have no concept of real life outside the classroom for another age group.

How very patronising. Most Cllrs and Officers are in their 30s, 40s and 50s; many likely to have lived experience of both young children and ageing parents. I'd put it to you that those in the busy middle of life are best placed to try and walk the difficult tightrope of balancing the needs of one generation against another.
Quote:
Large offices only now Tooley Street and Queens Road, North and South Southwark.

True. But on typical Council Officer salaries (barring those at the very top), how many do you think can afford to live there? I'd suspect most have to travel in from the southern fringes of the borough or even further afield.

Posted by peckhamside February 19, 07:02PM

Well said

Posted by chars March 14, 07:53AM

Well said Richard tudor🙏

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum