Naming of new health centre

Residents within the catchment area for the new health centre in Dulwich are being invited to send in their suggestions for naming the new health facility.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/your-chance-to-name-new-health-centre-in-dulwich/?fbclid=IwAR2cvn6ex0K2juzr0nOKE7Jl9lIjS3YD4o17ktSvo3x2kRjQqn_hAj1Ay9Y

'Please be as creative as you like, but do bear in mind that the final name needs to be suitable for an NHS community health centre'

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the original building?

Melbourne Grove/Concordia, who won the bid for this, currently has problems recruiting and retaining GPs for their existing surgery, so how are they going to recruit for this place?

Rosetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know what is going to happen to the

> original building?

>

> Melbourne Grove/Concordia, who won the bid for

> this, currently has problems recruiting and

> retaining GPs for their existing surgery, so how

> are they going to recruit for this place?

Once the new health centre building is complete and commissioned and the services that are currently run from the hospital building transferred, the central "chateaux" is being retained as part of the Charter School (God knows why but that's my opinion) and the remainder will be bulldozed to make way for additional school buildings / open space.

I seem to vaguely remember that it could take until 2021 for the existing building to be decommissioned.

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Residents within the catchment area for the new

> health centre in Dulwich are being invited to send

> in their suggestions for naming the new health

> facility.

>

> https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/your-chance-t

> o-name-new-health-centre-in-dulwich/?fbclid=IwAR2c

> vn6ex0K2juzr0nOKE7Jl9lIjS3YD4o17ktSvo3x2kRjQqn_hAj

> 1Ay9Y

>

> 'Please be as creative as you like, but do bear in

> mind that the final name needs to be suitable for

> an NHS community health centre'

How about the "Can-I-have-some-of-the-?350-million-a-week-please-Boris Health Centre"

I find this sort of activity a real waste of time and money - presumably it requires employees to administer this when nhs resources are already stretched beyond limits.

Call me miserable, but i'd rather the nhs spent its limited funds on more important stuff.

?East Dulwich Medical Centre? is not only obvious but very dull! The linked article states they are looking for a name that demonstrates a connection to Southwark?s community and history. I just hope it doesn?t become the Alleyn Medical Centre.

The Mary Seacole Centre - it is on the site of the old Dulwich Maternity Hospital and Mary Seacole is credited with good quality maternity medical care.

In Jamaica in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, neonatal deaths were more than a quarter of total births, at a time when British-Jamaican planter Thomas Thistlewood wrote about European doctors employing questionable practices such as mercury pills and the bleeding of the patient. However, Seacole, using traditional West African herbal remedies and hygienic practices, boasted that she never lost a mother or her child.

Her links to Southwark, it has to be said, are tenuous, but not to London itself and there is a statue to her outside St Thomas'.