Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messagethe mystery of the vanishing small brown bin
Posted by civilservant August 11, 11:24PM

I used our small brown bin for the first time yesterday morning to dump old teabags and vegetable peelings, neatly done up in a compostable wrapper

later that day, i see that the brown bin had mysteriously vanished - but its contents were left sitting in the front garden

has this happened to anyone else?

messageRe: the mystery of the vanishing small brown bin
Posted by DulwichFox August 12, 09:24AM

I fear a lot more of this is likely to happen.

I keep my small brown bin indoors until the night before collection.

DulwichFox

Posted by bloodoranges August 12, 09:50AM

But they're free from the council?! people are bizarre ha

Posted by DulwichFox August 12, 10:01AM

bloodoranges Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But they're free from the council?! people are
> bizarre ha

There are people that will steal Anything. It's an illness.

Posted by Charles Martel August 12, 10:33AM

bloodoranges Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But they're free from the council?! people are
> bizarre ha

Unfortunately our council cares more about charging for a service than it does about providing that service. My large brown bin was taken away and no smaller replacement was provided. This is despite requesting the smaller food waste bin twice online. If others are in the same position it may be they are tempted to help themselves to their neighbour's food waste bins.

If the aim of this whole scheme is to separate food and garden waste, then everybody will need to have a food waste bin, regardless of whether they were also using the garden waste collection service, paid for or not. It should have been obvious to any competent person that there needed to be a number of food waste bins equal to or greater than the existing brown bins for this to work.

Posted by JohnL August 12, 10:35AM

There are charges in some councils - so maybe they steal them here and sell them somewhere else.

Posted by Penguin68 August 12, 10:50AM

Just a thought, but is it possible, in the high winds we've been having, that the bin was simply tipped and blown away, with the contents falling out? I know that I've had the large bins (if not fairly full) overturned by the wind before now, and I've certainly seen the small kerb side and kitchen caddies blown about on collection days.

Posted by claresy August 12, 04:34PM

I have ordered a small brown bin twice and not received so forced to put food waste in the green bin, which makes me uncomfortable. They're making it very hard for people to be environmentally friendly just when it feels particularly important to do so.

Posted by Sue August 12, 07:07PM

I have always had a small brown bin rather than a big one.

Mine got cracked. I recently ordered a replacement online and it was delivered very quickly.

Posted by skylorikeet August 12, 07:23PM

This could be a really stupid (though genuine) question but why are we separating our garden and food waste now? I thought the recycling facility could manage them both together?

Posted by jeanne August 27, 09:38AM

To be honest in this weather, I think you are better off without it. My bin is in my front garden and has so many maggots in - it is awful and now this morning though the bin has been emptied there are just so many flies around the front of the house and bin.

Try to be a good citizen and recycling food waste may not be the most hygienic way to go.

Posted by Townleygreen August 27, 10:03AM

In this weather, my daughter was telling me, she keeps the food waste bag in a small bowl in her freezer. Keeps smells and rotting away! Haven't tried it myself.

Posted by tracymcdavis August 28, 01:23PM

I second that TownleyGreen - but we just put all our meat waste (just cat food in our household) in a box in the freezer and transfer it across on bin day. The rest of our waste doesn't seem to attract any "fly babies".

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum