Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

http://avakitchens.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageWhat do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by intexasatthe moment February 07, 02:56PM

We're in a 3 bed flat ,conversion and this years quote is over 400 . Is that an average price ?

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by LanaJade February 07, 03:23PM

Mine was 70 this year including accidental damage ... with the AA intexasatthe moment Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're in a 3 bed flat ,conversion and this years
> quote is over 400 . Is that an average price ?

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Penguin68 February 07, 04:27PM

Unless you have a lot of high value items, or collections, that (400) does appear high - try a comparison web site to look for a lower premium. You should easily find one.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by DulwichFox February 07, 04:53PM

I pay 340 for contents insurance.. + 393 for Buildings insurance.

I get a small reduction ?? on contents insurance due to having a Burglar alarm which is serviced yearly.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Herne Hill Guest February 07, 05:13PM

My premium slowly crept up over the years and then one day I rang them. Random adjustments that I had not requested had been added automatically by their computerised system. It's well worth ringing them to register your concern and ask for the quote to be lowered. I only had to call once, now it only goes up by pennies each year.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by sheff February 07, 05:56PM

570 all in for building and contents.
That has accidental damage on contents and high value items away from the home (rings, watches, bikes etc)

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by sheff February 07, 05:59PM

Just reread that you wanted only contents! That is expensive.

CONTENTS - 150,000 = 87.92
Personal Property away from home to 2,000 = 18.75
Pedal Cycles to 3,500 = 60.84
Specified Articles of 13,000 = 75.13

My expense comes from valuable items and bikes.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Sue February 07, 11:12PM

If you stay with the same insurance company, my experience is that they keep increasing your premiums year on year, and you don't realise how expensive it has got because you never compare it.

I was horrified to find out how uncompetitive my car insurance had got, a few years back. Half an hour on comparison sites and the money saving expert site helped me get a far cheaper quote.

Generally I think it's cheaper to get combined buildings and contents insurance rather than separate policies.

Anyway, it's immaterial to me as I'm stuffed. My premium has gone up 40% this year due to a subsidence claim, and I doubt anyone else will insure me.

Ridiculous, as due to the remedial work it's now less likely that I'll have subsidence. But hey, the insurance company has to recoup the money it has spent, grrrrrr.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by worldwiser February 08, 09:16AM

Our entire house, buildings contents with accidental damage and away from home cover is less than 300. Skipton. You're being rinsed!

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by ed_pete February 08, 11:47AM

You're paying over the odds. Go to Money Saving Expert, MoneySupermarket, Confused.com, ComparetheMarket. You'll find better cover for a lot less.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by mrwb February 08, 02:10PM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you stay with the same insurance company, my
> experience is that they keep increasing your
> premiums year on year, and you don't realise how
> expensive it has got because you never compare
> it.
>
> I was horrified to find out how uncompetitive my
> car insurance had got, a few years back. Half an
> hour on comparison sites and the money saving
> expert site helped me get a far cheaper quote.
>
> Generally I think it's cheaper to get combined
> buildings and contents insurance rather than
> separate policies.

This is true for most services these days. They offer much better prices to new business, if you just renew blindly they increase the cost every year.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by intexasatthe moment February 12, 08:22AM

Thank you all for your helpful posts .I used a couple of comparison sites and now have a new policy and a saving of 100s !

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Gorse February 12, 02:03PM

Sheff - Can I ask who you use for your specified items? Ours is with M&S and that is what really stings us.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Sue February 12, 02:16PM

intexasatthe moment Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you all for your helpful posts .I used a
> couple of comparison sites and now have a new
> policy and a saving of 100s !


Excellent!

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by sheff February 12, 05:15PM

Went direct to Legal and General....
And then added engagement rings, wedding rings, watch etc.
Bikes similar... Added to the policy.

Hiscox can also be quite good as well...



Gorse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sheff - Can I ask who you use for your specified
> items? Ours is with M&S and that is what really
> stings us.

messageRe: What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?
Posted by Gorse February 14, 03:37PM

I'll give them a try when we renew - thanks v much


Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum