What do ED'ers pay for house contents insurance ?

My premium slowly crept up over the years and then one day I rang them. Random adjustments that I had not requested had been added automatically by their computerised system. It's well worth ringing them to register your concern and ask for the quote to be lowered. I only had to call once, now it only goes up by pennies each year.

Just reread that you wanted only contents! That is expensive.

CONTENTS - ?150,000 = ?87.92

Personal Property away from home to ?2,000 = ?18.75

Pedal Cycles to ?3,500 = ?60.84

Specified Articles of ?13,000 = ?75.13

My expense comes from valuable items and bikes.

If you stay with the same insurance company, my experience is that they keep increasing your premiums year on year, and you don't realise how expensive it has got because you never compare it.

I was horrified to find out how uncompetitive my car insurance had got, a few years back. Half an hour on comparison sites and the money saving expert site helped me get a far cheaper quote.

Generally I think it's cheaper to get combined buildings and contents insurance rather than separate policies.

Anyway, it's immaterial to me as I'm stuffed. My premium has gone up 40% this year due to a subsidence claim, and I doubt anyone else will insure me.

Ridiculous, as due to the remedial work it's now less likely that I'll have subsidence. But hey, the insurance company has to recoup the money it has spent, grrrrrr.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you stay with the same insurance company, my

> experience is that they keep increasing your

> premiums year on year, and you don't realise how

> expensive it has got because you never compare

> it.

>

> I was horrified to find out how uncompetitive my

> car insurance had got, a few years back. Half an

> hour on comparison sites and the money saving

> expert site helped me get a far cheaper quote.

>

> Generally I think it's cheaper to get combined

> buildings and contents insurance rather than

> separate policies.

This is true for most services these days. They offer much better prices to new business, if you just renew blindly they increase the cost every year.

Went direct to Legal and General....

And then added engagement rings, wedding rings, watch etc.

Bikes similar... Added to the policy.

Hiscox can also be quite good as well...

Gorse Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sheff - Can I ask who you use for your specified

> items? Ours is with M&S and that is what really

> stings us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• They have. They asked in the original consultation. I’ve talked about it above. Around 3000 people (57% of a self selecting sample), were against the scheme. But the point you seem to be struggling with is that it wasn’t a referendum. We don't routinely have referenda on matters public policy in the UK (Brexit aside). We elect people to make decisions and then we judge the quality of those decisions in the round, and either re-elect them, or kick them out. That’s representative democracy. It’s not a good idea imo, but happy to listen if you do want to make the case for the routine use of referenda in matters of public policy. Not so much if you just want to use it selectively for a single issue you feel strongly about. Still ducking the question I’ve posed to you more than once now on claim of inadequate signage and intimidation of emergency services I note.
    • Sounds like you are running scared of the idea Earl, come now with so much debate over what is a consultation /referendum surly it's a simplel way of settling the argument 🤔 
    • Pot holes feel like they’re becoming more of an issue (based purely on my perception, don’t know what data there is). Even worse outside London imo. I suspect as Mal says, heavier vehicles are part of the problem (both SUVs, but also EVs which are generally heavier than ‘conventional’ cars), but regardless the council need to be more on it.  You can use the fixmystreet app to report them (and other street maintenance issues). 
    • Prior to the LTNs do you have many examples where the results of consultations were not acted upon? Seems to me the council is picking and choosing when they action the feedback from their constituents.......   Have you looked at the results from that, if not, tale some time to have a look, its quite enlightening..it seems the majority do not think the changes will have the desired effect....but you know it's not a refendum so the council has chosen to ignore the feedback of constituents. They must be assuming full responsibility for ignoring residents feedback- clearly they think they know what's best for us. If it all goes wrong let's see if they take responsibility!   Earl, here's a question for you (and i know you wont answer it but lets see)...why do you think the council has never asked a yes/no question to local residents about anything to do with the LTNs - wether they exist or whether we think the changes they have suggested (using our money) are needed/worthwhile? Or a consultation with a yes/no answer but we all know why. I still laugh that the council had to re-run the CPZ consultation with a yes/no answer and finally had to listen to their constituents...they took a hell of a spanking! They have been cheating the system for years and getting away with it. So does that not apply during consultations then? (P.S before you answer take a look at the definition of a consultation as provided by the Local Government Association).
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In