Dulwich Park Rubbish

Seems the people cleaning Dulwich park are struggling to cope.

Not surprisingly given it's the only place to go outside for a lot of us.

Seems to be one guy doing it alone this morning.

What can be done to help?

The other thing is for you to pick it up and take it away and dispose of it correctly. Yes, it?s not your job, but writing on here will make only very little difference at most. And yes, I pick up others? litter and have done for years. I just did so on Dawson?s Hill and Donkey Alley. Have a go - you may like it!

MrWB, there is already a thread on this on the gossip section.... I and Nigello have already contacted our councillors so you could do the same. The more people who voice it, the more likely they are to see it as a problem that needs addressing... I have also contacted Plastic Free East Dulwich to see if there is merit in reviving a more virtual or socially distanced version of their litter collection events, although you'd need an army to touch the sides if they don't sort out the lack of bin capacity...

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Huge recycling bins are ugly but they seem to be

> necessary as the good citizens of Dulwich seem

> unable to carry their recyclables (let alone other

> rubbish) home with them. Big sigh.

In addition to being very ugly I doubt bins by the gates would be used by the feckless. Much of the rubbish was simply left where people had been in the middle of the lawns and open spaces so they hadn't even bothered to find a bin, let alone carry rubbish back to the entrance. It's happening all over the UK not just here in SE London unfortunately.

Need something like this (from New Zealand).

It's just so selfish, you carried it there full, carry it home empty! My kids when as young as 3 would point to rubbish and say "that should be in a bin Mummy" so it's not difficult to teach.

Hi all,

I have written to the council asking for more frequent collections and bigger bins in local parks.

I cannot promise anything - council staff are already very stretched at the moment - but hopefully this will have some effect.

Best wishes

James

James, thanks for this update. Picking up on Ginster's sign, can the council look at doinga campaign that actually gets the message across. I have seen Southwark council tweet that they are asking residents to do their bit to keep parks clean but I have seen nothing from the council that will achieve this. Surely if this was done properly it would save resources as there would be less clearing up to do.

rachp Wrote:

> James, thanks for this update. Picking up on

> Ginster's sign, can the council look at doinga

> campaign that actually gets the message across. I

> have seen Southwark council tweet that they are

> asking residents to do their bit to keep parks

> clean but I have seen nothing from the council

> that will achieve this. Surely if this was done

> properly it would save resources as there would be

> less clearing up to do.

How absolutely disgusting that they have to tweet to ask 'residents' to keep 'our' parks clean- how do they know it's 'residents'? Do people really destroy their own open spaces- judging from the number of cars parked in Eynella, Eastlands Crescent etc I doubt if it's 'residents'.

If you are capable of dropping rubbish anywhere apart fron a bin, I don't know why your moral compass would suddenly kick in because you are in the area where you reside. Dropping rubbish does not become less wrong because you are not near your home. So yes, I think it's highly feasible that some residents are to blame.

singalto Wrote:

> Lots of people are using the bushes in Dulwich

> Park as loos. I was playing hide and seek with my

> little granddaughter and had to rethink where to

> hide in view of the used tissues and smell in the

> bushes..

Yes- ever since we were told we could travel, some people have been going far afield and everywhere smells like a toilet...