Attacks over recent days - arrest made

Hi all,

A number of residents have contacted me and my fellow councillors about several seemingly connected incidents over recent days. We have been in contact with the police and they have just informed us that an arrest has been made and that they believe all the incidents were committed by this same person.

I hope that this is some reassurance. I will let you know if I receive any further information.

Best wishes

James

James,

Thanks for this update and your attention on this matter. Is there something that can be done to follow up on why it was the police did not respond to the first attack?

I know from experience when a friend was badly attacked how much the fear and impact is greater if you seek help from the police but it does not arrive. In some ways, that can be almost as bad as the attack if you had faith that the police would be there to help.

In this case, it may be that the failure to respond also meant that several other people then suffered attacks as well. It would seem important to learn lessons here. Clearly the police face competing demands with limited resources, but it seems important to work out whether that was the issue or not in this case.

Thanks

Alice

The police are underfunded, undermanned have some seemingly crazy priorities and simply don't bother with theft and even assault anymore in my experience. All the police stations in south London closed down except for Brixton. Unless you present them with cast iron evidence they won't even bother investigating.

Just epitomises what has happened to the UK generally over the last 20-30 years.

Better hope things don't go downhill economically or it's going to quickly become quite a significant problem.

I know nothing about the identity of the assailant just to be clear, but what people need to be aware of is that even if this a male who identifies as female without having had transitional surgery and hormone therapy, these crimes will be recorded as having been committed by a woman. I'm not saying this is what has happened in this specific case, but it is what is going on now in the light of the GRA. Male violence is recorded as female violence if the offender identifies as female no matter their physical body.

@thewitchofdullness the Met, along with many other forces, have stated that they will record the sex of anyone they arrest as whatever that person chooses, regardless of whether any meaningful transition has occurred.

But as others have said - this could end up being a male crime recorded as female. And that matters, a lot.

We know that men increasingly ?identify? as women on arrest in order to enter the women?s prison estate.

The police are facilitating this. But self ID is not law in this country (thank God).

Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But then they have time to write social media

> posts about wpc walking around and talking to

> women about their safety. See Met posts from

> yesterday. I?m fed up with this patronising shite.

Ironic that you have the time to use social media too. If you are that bothered I am sure that the police would welcome you as a 'special' (PC) https://www.met.police.uk/car/careers/met/police-volunteer-roles/special-constable/special-constable-overview/?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=MSC-Recruitment-2020&utm_content=marketingimage

oimissus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We know that men increasingly ?identify? as women

> on arrest in order to enter the women?s prison

> estate.

> The police are facilitating this. But self ID is

> not law in this country (thank God).

Genuinely interested if you have data to back that up. I think I have seen that claim refuted by trans activists elsewhere. NB for me, I infer that you are talking about a significant and therefore worrying uplift in the numbers here

Here are the results of an FOI request which show the disproportionately high number of sex offenders identifying as women, and the general increase in numbers of prisoners in women's prison who aren't legally or biologically female. It's easy to see the motivation if this gets you into a women's prison. https://fairplayforwomen.com/prison-data-confirmed/

It's also worth looking up the case of Karen White, a convicted rapist (a crime which, by definition, involves a penis) who went on to rape and assault women in prison.

Thank you for the update, James, but could you perhaps give us a little more information? The woman who was attacked said the perpetrator was a young man in his 20s or 30s, so the arrest of a woman in her 50s is not very reassuring. Many thanks for any further details you might be able to give. I walk down Wood Vale most days, but have been avoiding it entirely since the attacks were reported.