1-11 Pytchley Road development

Jeremy

I got a letter through the post the other day about a design consultation for the redevelopment of this site (and others nearby). I was out of the country at the time, but am interested to find out what the plans are. Both in terms of design, and in terms of the council/private mix.

Did anyone go to the consultation? Or have any further info? The contact on the letter is Cidi Greenaway, but I can't get through to her number.

So glad you posted this Jeremy, was going to myself but have a mind like a sieve!

I couldn't get to the presentation at the Albrighton on Saturday unfortunately so am no clearer than you, but obviously something needs to happen there. The council have left it as a dangerous eyesore.

The letter also mentioned redeveloping the old Gatebeck and Southdown sites which I am really against, Gatebeck House on Pytchley Road was demolished in 1999 and has been a car park ever since, where will all the cars park if they put a new block there? Southdown House, also on Pytchley Road was demolished in the late 70's, My husband remembers playing on the rubble! There was apparently a huge fight from the residents at the time to leave it as a much needed play area, which is now 'the cage' opposite the top of Quorn Road, it is in permanent use by local children from the estate and the surrounds and is essential in my opinion.

Please let us know if you manage to find anything out Jeremy.

i too couldn't make it but am very interested. recently the cage has been increasingly used by some people who seem to be playing a version of bike polo, if that makes sense. it's been really good to see more people using it, but if there's an opp to get it into better shape.

however, i don't understand, do the plans that they posted through the door represent an extension across the whole stretch from car park to abandoned block? surely that would be totally out of character and take out a load of trees. it seemed odd that no actual map was included in the invite but instead a digital image of the design and some addresses that didn't mean anything to me (i only moved in over 5 years ago).

this was why i wanted to attend but with 2 kids it was not an option.

i have posted before about the abandoned block but in now way want to lose play space or trees etc... therefore any feed back anyone? thanks.

Have either of you tried calling the phone number on the original letter? I have tried a couple of times, but there was no answer.

I have also tried emailing Councillor Peter John and his PA Janice Miller - as well as Katherine Pitt (Community Council Development Officer), who has been fairly helpful in the past. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Also... what do you both think about the new houses which have been built next to the railway, through the archway next to (I think) 119 Ivanhoe Road? Both the design and location seem rather unusual to me.

I got the following info from the council:

The proposal is for a 4-storey block with 18 private/sale units consisting of 7 one-bedroom, 10 two-bedroom and 1 three-bedroom (wheelchair) flats.

The proposal, which includes 2 affordable housing sites on Pytchley Road known as Southdown and Gatebeck, are undergoing final revisions to take in stakeholder feedback prior to our making a planning submission this year. If planning consent is granted, the sites will marketed for sale next year.

So yes, It looks like in addition to the corner site (current derelict block), they will be building on the "cage" and the adjacent car park.

I have some drawings, but unfortunately the forum won't let me attach any files right now!

Diana Hall (0207 525 7724) has taken over from Cidi Greenaway as the lead officer for the project.

I don't think it's too late at all. I spoke to Diana Hall who suggested filling out the attached form and sending it to her at [email protected] - even if you were unable to attend the event.

I'm also rather concerned about car parking, both because the plans appear to build over an existing car park, and because the new flats do not seem to incorporate any parking of their own.

I have lived and brought my family up in this small area since 1970.

The reason Southdown was demolished was bad subsidence and bad/poor drainage,the overflow from the drainage system flowed into the road. The 'Pen/cage' has been a well acknowledged safe place for children from the area to play, whether they lived on the estate or outlying roads/streets.

If the council agree to this development the following questions concern me:

a) Is the ground area of Southdown really safe to build on?

b) Where will the children of the area play safely?

b) The drainage system of the area will go into overload with this amount of new flats, the bottom of Bromar Road into Ivanhoe Road already gets flooded with drains overflowing.

c) Where are all the cars from these flats going to park,plus where are car owners that use the current car parks (to be built on) supposed to park.? There is very limited parking now.

Also at one time the drains were cleared regularly by a slurper lorry.. how often does that happen now? The drains are still of the Victorian time and the large number of houses in the Ivanhoe area have been changes to flats,with less of the larger family the over load on the system will not be good.

I am sure if the time factor had been longer instead of trying to rush things through there would more concerns, hence they are rushing to stop people asking questions...Please don't fall into a false sense of security that these developers know what they are doing...Not everyone is being notified !!! I wonder why???

Mojo, have you fed these concerns back to the council?

Of course, airing your concerns on the forum is fine, but won't acheieve anything in it's own right. Please contact Diana Hall and/or complete the form I attached. (same goes for vik, plimsoul, chrism).

Generally I think the new development is good news, but I am concerned about possible parking problems.

Hi there

I have emailed Diana Hall, and will talk to our neighbours - I'm pretty sure no one in Bromar Road was made aware of the presentation. I also wonder how the development stands now that the government has changed the planning laws re building on back gardens? The proposed development looks as though it covers all the garden at the back of the existing block.

As for building on the cage, I think that is appalling. Kids have nowhere to play safely, this side of Dog Kennel Hill; it is a much-needed resource for older kids/teens that would otherwise be hanging around.

I have called Diana Hall and left messages,I looked at the questionnaire survey and it is for the 'Presentation' and I don't feel the form was of use so I will email Diana Hall.

Yes agreed, the block on the corner of Pytchley and Bromar needs dealing with, for the Council to moved the residents out, and left it this long it should have been dealt with sooner rather than later. But for youngsters to lose the only area they can use and NOT get into trouble is not good, at least parents are aware of where the youngsters are and they are not roaming the streets causing problems or getting into trouble.

Also, as there are a large number of new comers into Ivanhoe Road and Bromar Road, they do no know the history of this area, that is why I put up my comments.

Just read all the comments from this post and we are really concerned as we are just about to purchase the property next to the development and the proposed development will block the light into our garden. Is anyone able to tell me about what the process is for protesting against this planning permission. No planning permission showed up on our property searches and the planning office advised us that they would not get permission to build that close to the properties on Bromar Road. Our vendors have told us nothing about this development. Help!

As far as I am aware, the process at the moment is to contact Diana Hall. Planning permission has not been applied for yet, they have wisely decided to consult with the local residents first.

Bear in mind that the proposed building appears to be 'L' shaped, there will still be grounds behind it, no portion of the building would be directly adjacent to your garden. And surely whatever they build can't be worse than living next to a derelict site?

Thanks Jeremy. Definitely agree that the site needs to be developed and L shaped would mean that hopefully it won't overshadow the garden too much. Just want to make sure that we are involved with the full consultation period so we have a chance to have a full picture of what is going to happen and make our views heard if needed. Thanks for your help. We will get in touch with Diana tomorrow - appreciate the updates because we aren't completing on the property until the end of the month so don't want to miss anything!

• 2 weeks later...

sadly there was an accident on the junction of pythchley and quorn at the weekend. since i have lived on invanhoe road more and more cars park on the stretch by the empty block/cage and sadly i think that this highlights the increased risk of accidents when people are parked on the end at the junction with pythchley/quorn/ivanhoe.

i have told the council plenty of times that this is a traffic danger spot and now i will add that it will only be made worse if proper parking is not considered.

properly considered does not mean a car park space within the other blocks, people will naturally try to park their car outside their property.

i shall email the council about this as well.

i hope that this all makes sense!

I must mention I am a new comer to the area and will be massivley affected by the development. I agree something needs to be done but about the plot at the end of Bromar but am very keen for more information from the council, planning dept and developers as I have a number of concerns and as I have mentioned have heard nothing back from Diana Hall.

Hitchno1, there are no developers yet. The council are looking to sell the land to a developer, but not until they have planning consent.

Have you tried phoning Diana, or just emailing? You could also try contacting Nnenna Urum-Eke (Estate Regeneration Coordinator) or of course one of the councillors. PM me if you want contact details.

I would have thought they will listen to residents at this stage, because it's not in there interests for these things to crop up after they've applied for planning.

I also have not heard from Diana Hall, though I emailed several queries and asked for a response. Jeremy, is she contactable via the main Southwark switchboard?

I was out when the councillors called round, but my partner mentioned the development, and was told it was very early stages and there were no plans. They mentioned the facilities of the 'cage' being moved somewhere else but could not specify where. My concern is that they would have to build on the green spaces in between the blocks.

The site at present is an eyesore, and cars should really be prevented from parking around the junction of Bromar / Pytchley / Ivanhoe, as it is very difficult to see oncoming traffic when exiting from Bromar.

chrism Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also have not heard from Diana Hall, though I

> emailed several queries and asked for a response.

> Jeremy, is she contactable via the main Southwark

> switchboard?

I don't know... I have direct numbers for her and Nnenna Urum-Eke, but not sure if I should just post on here... PM me if you want me to send them to you.

Alternatively contact a councillor (e.g. Peter John).

traffic needs to be seriously considered on these streets, apparently there is a TFL grant available for the surrounding streets but not sure where anything stands. i understand that the p13 trials proved that it only really works on ivanhoe. although i guess it would be hugely unpopular what would people think of a one way system? up bromar but down malfort?

or i still think a round about at junction with avondale and bottom of bromar night improve things. ultimately the problem will never change that these are narrow streets yet a regular rat run to and from peckham/se5.