1-11 Pytchley Road development

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Agree with you that they're not great, nor the worst, just bland. My problem is also with density: a block with six flats is being replaced by one with 19. The proposed block is four storeys high at the front, whereas the original one is three.

If you're interested in signing a petition asking Southwark for further consultation (most people in Bromar seem not to have been aware of the proposals), will you pm me your address.

Thanks

Chris

• 5 months later...

ok, so has anybody else spotted the 'for sale' sign now adorning this site (hard to miss)

has the council given up? before they leave it to fester for another few years i'd like to point out the escalating pigeon population that now lives in the ripped out roof.

james any news from the council? anyone care to tell the people who actually live by the dump, sorry site, within a 100 metres?

They haven't given up, the plan was always to sell the site!

The council may have drawn up the plans, but it was never their intention to do the development themselves. After all, these aren't council flats. Personally I am glad that at least something is moving.

Badminton House (the block above/behind the lovely "Payless Food & Wine") is also for sale, presumably for refurb followed by private sales.

thanks jeremy, that makes me feel a lot better. i'm just fed up with being surrounded by empty houses and the never ending building of the 'luxury' houses. i wonder who will buy in these turbulent times?

the pigeons are loving the abandoned site and wish the council would clean up the corner at least once a month. But most of all it's the near car crashes that I see everyday that really concern me... but that's a whole other story/thread.

• 3 weeks later...
What's going on with Badminton House, too? I live in Cowdray House, on Quorn Road (the bit facing the train line, just off the road). There's a sign saying for sale. I always wondered about Badminton, the other flats are lovely but that block seemed left to rot. People had been living there til very recently, too.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Planning permission has been submitted for 6 x three storey, four bedroom houses. They look OK - pitched roofs and bay windows to (sort of) blend in with existing buildings. All rather uninspired, but could be worse, and a much better option than a big block of flats.

I saw this too, look fine. My only concern is that if the corner on bromar/pytchley becomes a blind spot agin transport for London (or whoever is responsible) will have to look at how to improve vision lines. I keep meaning to email the application people but otherwise I agree, all looks fine and they're clearly looking to benefit from bromar prices!

• 4 months later...

The next planning committee 26 March will decide on application 12-AP-3563 "EAST DULWICH ESTATE SITE BOUNDED BY DOG KENNEL HILL QUORN ROAD PYTCHELEY ROAD AND ALBRIGHTON ROAD SE22"

A proposal for "Erection of two blocks of flats accommodating 27 flats (comprised of 'Gatebeck' a three storey building located to south west side of

Pytchley Road, between Felbridge and Gatcombe House with 9 flats, being 3 x 2-bed, 6 x 3-bed, and 'Southdown' on north east side

of Pytchley Road to east of Melbreak House, of four storeys with 18 flats, being 8 x 1-bed, 2 x 2-bed, 8 x 3-bed); and conversion of existing drying rooms across the Estate into 18 flats (12 x studio flats, 3 x 1-bed, 3 x 2-bed); (TOTAL 45 new flats in new build/conversion) and external landscaping work across the Estate as part of an overall regeneration programme; alterations to existing car parking areas in the proximity of the proposed new flats, and additional car parking to land adjacent to Wilton House and altered access and parking provision to Wheatland House."

Hi James,

Thanks for letting people on the forum know about this planning committee meeting. However, just to clarify, this application does not include the 1-11 Pytchley Road site (the derelict yellow brick block on corner of Bromar Road discussed on this thread). The two sites being discussed next week are:

1) the parking area on Pytchley Road near the traffic lights at the junction with Dog Kennel Hill. This was the site of Gatebeck House, which was knocked down 14 years ago to reduce the density of the estate.

2)the caged football 'kickabout' area and parking area on Pytchley Road opposite the junction with Quorn Road. This was the site of Southdown House, which was knocked down by the GLC in the 1970s because of problems of severe and persistent damp. The problems with water can still be seen today - in the permanent lake on the parking area, and the water trickling through the boundary walls and over the pavement around the P13 bus stop!

• 4 months later...
Looks like work is finally underway on the site (corner of Pytchley Rd and Bromar Rd). Good to know that the existing eyesore will be gone soon. I believe there is asbestos in the building, so I don't fancy getting too close while the building is being demolished!