Swimming Pool and new Gym

Met the new (only been in post a week or two) manager of Dulwich Pool at Goose Green Fair - she said the gym is scheduled to open in July and will have machines as well as free weights in one huge room. She wanted opinion/feedback from locals re gym and pool so i pointed her towards the forum (expect her to start posting soon!) as a way of getting same.

The absolute key for me is some decent heavy dumbbells going up to at least 30kg. I'm not a hardcore freak but most gyms do not cater adequately for even average guys because they only contain light free weights that limit progress.

July opening would be great news as the development has played havoc with my waist line. I do hope we get more free weights space than in the old gym as it was very cramped under the old viewing platforms especially if you are tall.

would be great if it would reopen soon as I'm annoying my other half by clogging up our bedroom with all my dumbbells, medicine balls, mats etc!

hope they have a decent free-weight selection with smith machine/bench and some mirrors so you can at least check your form while lifting!

if they do open by July I'll be extremely surprised... but equally quite overjoyed! :-)

fingers crossed!

The Gym will open Saturday 25 June at 10am. I'll even get to make one of the speeches at the grand reopening - you lucky lucky people!

The grand opening will include refreshments, magnificent speeches, and announcement of 3 x free year membership - enter the competition at www.southwark.gov.uk/Dulwich

If you like to see detailed world exclusive 3D pictures of what the gym will look like then pop along now to the Dulwich Leisure Centre to view A1 3D pictures in the foyer.

You heard it here first.

Hackblade Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The absolute key for me is some decent heavy

> dumbbells going up to at least 30kg. I'm not a

> hardcore freak but most gyms do not cater

> adequately for even average guys because they only

> contain light free weights that limit progress.

Check out Hamlets - there's some pretty big chunks of metal in there...

The pool temperature does vary considerably, mostly it's ok, but I've had a couple of visits

where it has been freezing. A recent Friday evening for example, it was so cold I couldn't stay in with

my child who usually doesn't mind if it's a bit chilly. I think it's fine if you're swimming lengths, but

not enjoyable if bobbing around with a non swimmer.

There must be a reason why they can't maintain a consistent temperature.

Hi cactus,

If you (or anyone else who experiences this) ever find the poll on the chilly side please do complain.

I've had lots of assurances that the pool temperature is now fixed and anyone finding it cold should ask to speak to the manager. If it's ruined your swim then ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK.

Hi Natalie f,

Throughout the main gym closure a temporary gym has been in place - but the importan thing is the full gym reopening is in 4 weeks and 6 days time - 10am Saturday 25th of Jne can't come quickly enough....

I like the new pool but can't stand the way people hog the limited number of changing cubicles by leaving clothes in them.

I was there the other day in the family changing room when ALL the cubicles were empty of people but had clothes in. Someone used one regardless, and the woman who had left clothes there while she went elseswhere went mad, banging on the door and shouting. She seemed to to think you can reserve the cubicles just like people 'save' sun loungers on holiday by leaving towels on them.

Can't the management stop people doing this?

Thanks James - signs are a good idea. With a limited number of cubicles, the only way to maximise use of them is for people purely to use them for changing, not for storing stuff while expecting other people to keep out.

It's obvious to most of us.

But a sign saying 'Do not leave clothes in unoccupied cubicles' might be an idea

How about just chucking the clothes outside the cubicle onto the wet tiles?

That would stop people leaving clothes in the cubicles!

Or even better... hand in clothes left in the cubicles to the front desk as lost property!

Nicholas Spears Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like the new pool but can't stand the way people

> hog the limited number of changing cubicles by

> leaving clothes in them.

> I was there the other day in the family changing

> room when ALL the cubicles were empty of people

> but had clothes in. Someone used one regardless,

> and the woman who had left clothes there while she

> went elseswhere went mad, banging on the door and

> shouting. She seemed to to think you can reserve

> the cubicles just like people 'save' sun loungers

> on holiday by leaving towels on them.

> Can't the management stop people doing this?

The new General Manager of the Dulwich Leisure Centre has been appointed - Kay Skelton.

Sounds very enthuisiatic.

They've told me that people leaving stuff in cubicles is quite common. That she will ensure signs are placed in cubicles and that when staff find unattended items they will remove them and place them in lost property.

She also told me that the preperations for the grand gym reopening 10am 25 June are progressing well.

Hope to see lots of you there.