Moral maze

RosieH

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Haha, Hal, you looked it up?

Yes, but it didn't do much good - I misread the time stamps of all those bids - fifteen, no less. I've just had another look.

The winning bid was placed at 22-Feb-10 20:38:28 - just before the other bid was cancelled at 22-Feb-10 22:00:16 but someone else had already bid ?35 on 20-Feb-10 05:00:00! What on earth was s/he thinking?

As you say, no cigar - but something definitely spooky going on - the mystery deepens.

BTW, the search for 'body lotion' found 13,117 items currently listed on eBay - mind-boggling!

karter Wrote:

> i wonder how hal saw it on ebay tho.

Nothing sinister or particularly clever - the OP contains enough details to enable anyone with an eBay account and familiarity with eBay's powerful search engine to find it easily.

HAL9000 Wrote:

> karter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > i wonder how hal saw it on ebay tho.

>

> Nothing sinister - Holy Mary that Hal's quite sinister.

or particularly clever - Mother of God he's terrible clever.

the OP

> contains enough details to enable anyone with an

> eBay account and familiarity with eBay's powerful

> search engine to find it easily.

Jesus, he has familiarity wit' a search engine, 'tis the work of the divil, he's doin' the divil's work I tell you.

Recently a 'green' shopping bag from Sainsbugs was sold on ebay for 1500 quid as they had sold out and no more production was likely.

You Rosie are a tenner up on the deal that's business, and some especially me would argue good business.

If you expect to lose money on all transactions I would say stop any further transactions.

Not everyone shops at lidl they also go to waitrose tescos and sainsbugs all of whom are more expensive on most items.

You have made a tenner and now you can't live with yourself, it is only that you are not used to being on the winning side and if you did this regularly you would get used to being up on the deal.

Some years ago I bought and sold antiques and watched some of the traders buy furniture at a price they could not recover when the article was placed in their shop, but they did this to take the floor and be the centre of attraction during the bidding for some strange reason they got their fix during this process a kind of showing off and being the 'star man'.

If you buy a bottle of something with your proceeds I am sure it will taste every bit as good as another bought with your hard earned. All I can say is you won one, many happy returns now live with your success.

SteveT Wrote:

> Recently a 'green' shopping bag from Sainsbugs was

> sold on ebay for 1500 quid as they had sold out

> and no more production was likely.

SteveT, I have not seen the auction you speak of, but, and I mean this in the pleasantest possible way, if you're asking me to believe that a Sainsbury shopping bag sold for one and a half grand, then you're asking me to believe the most gigantic arse bollocks nonsense since Miss McGuire told me my thumbs would

loosen if I carried on winking.

She was wrong, I've winked all my life and my opposable thumbs are intact and functioning.

But surely SteveT, that was just a flight of fancy on your part?

Edited, to correct the spelling of the word 'would' and not the word 'wink'. I mean, go figure.

ruffers Wrote:

> No dilemma here for me. They bid what they were

> happy to pay for the product, job done.

> If I bought the same thing from Tesco and they

> found it it was cheaper in Boots I wouldn't be

> expecting them to be chasing me down to refund me.

xxxxxxx

I agree with this.

I also think, if it's keeping you awake at night, send them back whatever you think is fair (though I'm sure they'll be absolutely gobsmacked as they probably don't even realise they could have got it cheaper), and next time sell on eBay at a "Buy It Now" price if you're not happy to benefit from an auction.

We were on holiday in France some years ago and went into a local bank to change pounds into francs whereby they gave us ?2,000 worth of francs back for the ?200 we had given them. I bought my wife a watch with the extra cash we had.

I bought a flat in 1988 in a good area and lived there for 8 years upon which i sold it for ?20,000 less than I paid for it.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, if you happily accept the losses you should also accept the gains.

Keep the tenner and by your loved one something nice with it.

I had a similar moment once. I sold a Marshall 4x12 for as much as it was worth new. I felt especially bad when I dropped it off, and found out the buyer was a teenage kid, and I'd just taken several months of paper-round money off him.

I momentarily thought about giving him some cash back, but instead chose to offer some important advice in the ways of rock. Far more valuable, and I left with a clear conscience.

The whole of the world is run on profit and many people on this forum and the general public are embarassed at making it.

It's as if profit is a dirty word,

well I love profit,

and although we are never gonna make what the bent bankers (1.4 billion in bonus's radio4 this am)

and thieving politicians have made in recent times I still see advantages in the 'greed' system, over the alternatives.

Giving cash back when the price is agreed and money has changed hands is called 'luck money' and is quite commonplace when buying livestock at the cattle markets.

One pays for experience.