Stabbing on Peckham Rye Lane this afternoon

Jaws

I apologise if you thought I was being serious, and I am sorry you do not like the area.

Many of us do, and have no problem with it. It is terribly sad when violence breaks out but it is not a common occurrence and when it happens it is also a product of poverty / poor education / ignorance. So it's a class issue.

And read any history book of London and mostly you'll see any similar situations in poorer areas.

But I have lived here 26 years and walk down Rye Lane regularly.

Again, I was kidding when I joked I would thump you. I don't know you but felt your post rather provocative and antagonistic. Best wishes, Peckham Rose x

Thewinglessxbird, how can you make sweeping generalisations about an area that people live and feel loyalty to, without expecting an argument. You have a very strange attitude for someone living in an urban area and if you do ever feel that you are targetted in some way when walking in 'scary' areas, it may well be your attitude that attracts that kind of unwanted attention.

I go to Peckham almost every day and have never been harrassed, molested, attacked, mugged etc, and unless you are a youth, or your attitude stinks, then you are very unlikely to have any of these things happen to you either.

thexwinglessxbird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Moos,

>

> Peckhamgatecrasher wouldn't have stopped there.

> He/she can go on for a fair bit. >

> I'm not looking for an argument, but clearly these

> two are.

xxxxx

Eh? Had a bad day?

thexwinglessxbird Wrote:

> Clapham really doesn't suprise me.

>

> I got off the bus by the station & within 10

> minutes a womans bag was snatched infront of my

> eyes. On my second visit, a man was jumped on by

> police in roughly the same place, outside the

> station. Weird...

>

xxxxxx

Ever thought of moving out of London?

Saila Wrote:

> on a lighter note....

>

> I love this scientific approach to crime statistics

Out of boredom and mild curiosity I ran those searches again via MS Live using the 'show all' and 'UK only' options:

Search string Google Live (all) Live (UK only)

> Peckham stabbing 15,800 16,300 6,290

> Clapham stabbing 218,000 19,500 7,290

> Brixton stabbing 23,500 41,500 7,130

> Islington stabbing 14,000 29,800 18,200

> Westminster stabbing 149,000 187,000 28,900

> Chelsea stabbing 180,000 264,000 57,600

The figures for Chelsea might be skewed because of extra news coverage of football hooliganism.

Westminster and Chelsea also because other places overseas share the same name (that Live hasn't properly categorised, perhaps).

Clapham looks like a search anomaly restricted to Google.

As for Islington, well, it is a pretty rough area - but almost as bad as Brixton, Peckham and Clapham put together - not sure about that.

But Hal....surely you realise that the numbers you quote bear no relation to content.

So for instance a sentence stating "The number of stabbings in Peckham has significantly fallen in the last decade" would feature in your results.

You can put any number of ludicrous suggestions into google and get results - hardly conclusive proof of anything.

Exactly!

Hal - it means nothing. In fact it says peckham has the least number of stabbings according to your theory of google no. Of hits

We're not sure what point you're trying to make here?

Surely if a stabbing in a very wealthy, well-to-do area, was a huge shock more papers would write about it and there'd be a huge no. Of hits?

Islington as a borough is a much larger area than smart Upper Street and takes in Archway, Hackney borders, some of Kings Cross, Holloway, Finsbury Park so I'm not surprised that it comes up more stabby in statistics. Finsbury Park always scared the beejesus out of me.

hilarious

'Hits on Google' is meaningless. Please stop justifying areas of london

Saila's post was a joke to illustrate that it doesn't mean anything

E.G. google 'Tsunami London' - Over 12m hits

now google 'Tsunami Sri Lanka' - just 2.4m hits..

Does that mean London has had more Tsunamis than Sri Lanka?

R&A Wrote:

> Does that mean London has had more Tsunamis than

> Sri Lanka?

In all fairness, a proper Google search (with the search string in double quotes) does yield a more sensible result (meaningless as it still is):

> "Tsunami London" - 672

> "Tsunami Sri Lanka" - 6,510

Brendan Wrote:

> I?m not surprised. Didn?t their wives force them

> to go live in the market place in barrels?

>

> Were they by any chance shooting fish when they

> came up with this question?

Don't be rediculous man! Shooting them? With what?!