Callie

Gloves Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> M&S is only going to be a clothes shop. Selling

> suits and bras'

> I read this online, so beware if you think you're

> doing your food shopping here.

"online"? - show us the link then......

I will be happy when it finally opens and we can all stop going on about the place..

I'm sure people will be queuing around the block when it first opens..

People round here like a queue. Moxons... William Rose ... Franco Manca..

DulwichFox

Yes the M&S store applied for longer times to sell alcohol than their planning permission allows.

I objected to the licence application.

Pretty standard conditions have been added to the approval.

The key will be resisting if they ever seek a new planning application to amend that condition on opening hours to match the alcohol licence.

They've also submitted another licence application to revise the drawings they submitted around the self service tills. No substantive change.

James Barber Wrote:

> Yes the M&S store applied for longer times to sell alcohol than their planning permission allows.

> I objected to the licence application.

Why? (just out of interest)

Indeed, on what grounds? Deliveries? Sainsbury's and Londis don't seem to cause any disruption..

Otta Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes the M&S store applied for longer times to

> sell alcohol than their planning permission

> allows.

>

> > I objected to the licence application.

>

>

>

> Why? (just out of interest)

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I will be happy when it finally opens and we can

> all stop going on about the place..

>

> I'm sure people will be queuing around the block

> when it first opens..

>

> People round here like a queue. Moxons... William

> Rose ... Franco Manca..

and the Gelati, queues on a Sunday across the pavement, also often queues at the weekend outside TCC as people have not yet realised there is a Thai pop up opposite at the Duck Egg Cafe, which is good value. I doubt there will be queues outside M&S when it finally opens, although I imagine there will be queues at the checkout.

>

> DulwichFox

Otta wrote:

James Barber Wrote:

> Yes the M&S store applied for longer times to sell alcohol than their planning permission allows.

> I objected to the licence application.

Why? (just out of interest)

James - I think you answered the wrong question (or at least I thought you did). Why did you object to the licence application? (not why did M&S apply for longer times). I'm also interested in why, as a local representative, you objected to the licence application.

I don't know why or even if he did object to this licence application. It was due to be heard by the sub committee on the 10th of May. M&S originally wanted licensing hours to start at 6am. Before the committee met discussions were held with the police and M&S agreed the licensing start hour should be 8am. This is not unusual for applicants like this to apply for longer hours that they don't use. The Sainsbury's local in Lordship Lane has a licence start time of 6am but the store doesn't open until 7am. I suspect the M&S store will open at 8am for ordinary and alcohol shopping. I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Councillor Charlie Smith

East Dulwich Ward Member

M&S originally wanted to significantly increase opening/closing and delivery hours beyond those of the former incumbent Iceland. This would have resulted in disruption to locals as the delivery area is smaller than ever and the very large delivery vehicles not only block the street holding up traffic but also make a terrific racket as they inch into the delivery bay, beeping as they go. Part of the earlier planning agreement had M&S operating at similar times to Iceland.

The fear was/ is that M&S will use the alcohol licence to impose the extended trading hours they originally wanted and that were rejected in earlier planning applications.

Thanks first mate. Many years ago up in Liverpool I lived across from the back of an Aldi, and was woken early every morning by "BEEP. THIS VEHICLE IS REVERSING" so I cam sympathise with that position.

Hi Robbin,

I objected as I didn't want M&S to have longer licensing hours than their planning permission.

I was trying to avoid them then coming back for longer opening times. I failed. We now run that risk.

The new M&S will already have much longer opening hours than the previous Iceland store.

So whats the problems,longer hours mean more people shopping in lordship lane and that means more cash for the small shops as people will use the others shops when they pop into M&S. So thank you M&S for the longer hours