M&S on Lordship Lane

Callie

Hi Kibris,

You mean longer opening times when the small indie shops are all closed?

How on earth does that help them?

The Planning Permission condition allows them to be open from memory:

Monday to Friday - 07:00-22:00

Saturday - 08:00-21:00

Sundays & Bank holidays - 10:00-18:00.

Residents are entitled to have down time.

These hours are significantly longer than what went before and almost exactly match the Coop.

The sooner the better! 6pm on a Saturday in the co-op was shambolic..boxes / food and storage crates and cages everywhere throughout the store, usual chaos at the tills and the hopeless self serve tills. Staff seem oblivious to the shoddy-ness of it all...

QZ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The sooner the better! 6pm on a Saturday in the

> co-op was shambolic..boxes / food and storage

> crates and cages everywhere throughout the store,

> usual chaos at the tills and the hopeless self

> serve tills. Staff seem oblivious to the

> shoddy-ness of it all...

Agreed, as it stands the Co-Op will struggle for custom if M&S are even slightly competent.....

QZ Wrote:

> The sooner the better! 6pm on a Saturday in the

> co-op was shambolic..boxes / food and storage

> crates and cages everywhere throughout the store,

> usual chaos at the tills and the hopeless self

> serve tills. Staff seem oblivious to the

> shoddy-ness of it all...

The problem is the management there, not the staff. The staff are, in my experience, very helpful but sometimes clearly struggling because of incompetent management who don't seem to be able to do the simplest things like putting sufficient staff on the tills at peak times.

The Co-op that used to be on Lordship Lane where the Haart and the other estate agent next door are did not survive the advent of Sainsburys in the 90s but Somerfield did. For a while the former Co-op premises became a Job Centre. Co-op returned to Lordship Lane when they bought out Somerfield in 2008. I hope the Co-op survives, I'd miss it more than Iceland, but I guess time will tell.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Kibris,

> You mean longer opening times when the small indie

> shops are all closed?

> How on earth does that help them?

The gelato place is open late - Organic village is open late - you might pop in one of the many drinking establishments on the way back from picking up some milk...

> Residents are entitled to have down time.

> These hours are significantly longer than what

> went before and almost exactly match the Coop.

Don't buy/rent a house next to a busy shopping street then. Its not new concept for Lordship Lane. If the co-op is already open, whats the problem with another?

Cedges it is as busy as you want to make it. The existing opening and closing times are perfectly reasonable and give ample time for those who wish to shop as well as time for residents close by to get some respite and sleep. Why do you feel it is necessary for the shop to be open later than the times agreed with planning?

I have not seen delivery vehicles of anywhere near the same size servicing Londis, nor do those vehicles have to move slowly in and out of a delivery bay beeping as they go.

Why do you feel opening hours of 7 am to 10 pm need to be extended and why does this take precedence over the needs of residents close by? Just saying another shop is open longer is not much of an argument either.

I guess it depends what time deliveries stop, that is the real issue and, as discussed, the delivery vehicles are huge and they do make a lot of noise, the beeping is really intrusive and because the service area is so small the whole process takes longer than it might each time. Not to mention all the clattering and banging that accompanies each delivery as stuff is unloaded. The delivery schedule is going to be greater than it was for Iceland anyway. I am not clear if a stop has been put on delivery and unloading times.

I just don't see why some people assume that because you live close to a street with shops on it that it is a given that those shops can open for 24 hours should they choose and those close by should simply suck it up. Why does consumerism take precedence? Whatever happened to the notion of balance? Surely 7am to 10pm is enough time for most people to do their shopping?

James's objection to the licensing application makes a lot more sense in light of his report that the council planning team have said to him personally they won't do anything about the breach of planning law by the adverts/sign on north cross road.

Now we see the start of another generic high street that will inevitably force up rents for the individual trader, forcing them to move or close. Yes things are good but the way things are going we are heading to a Strpford Wives situation. There will be individual retailers, it will be a mirror of Richmond or Clapham. There will be no individuality, just one and the same whichever place you drive through. The pubs are loosing, well have lost a lot of their individuality, who you see as the landord here today and gone tomorrow, the personal touch the comradarie, yes you got community at present, but for how long. It is all about the community, and without a variety there is no community.

People who criticised the likes of myself and Louisa as not tolerating change are simply getting what they wished for..

It's what one gets when one thinks they are a bit above the rest..

When the big boys move in.. the little man gets forced out...

Gentrification is social cleansing..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox change is brilliant for any place for improving the place socially. But I do not agree with the cleansing. You move into a place you impprove it, but you work as as a community to bring up together. Pleople tend to want this and that for their own selfish goals, but tread on those who do try to work hard to acheive something. It is an inevitable fact that rents will increase forcing those individual business owners out of business, some of whom have been there for years. This is happening at Herne Hill station, Half Moon Lane. Who does this benefit it is us who loose because in a way we have not been supportive of our community. It is not just one store, watch and see, it is live a landslide that is waiting to happen. What happens to them now they are moved out and now we get generic people with the ideas of LondonMix. People have lost their persepective of social life it the basic fact their wish is, of how much can my property increase in price.

I noticed last night that there is new vertical structures on the roof..

I could not determine what they were. They do not look very substantial.

Is this a further floor. which I was expecting from the start..

It's a bit late into the project and I cannot see M&S opening soon if work is still in progress on the roof

DulwichFox