Best Hand Cream - your thoughts?

sledge

Hey,

I seem to be forever washing my hands after changing nappies and taking my toddler to the toilet, doing hand washing and dishes etc and my hands are really really dry and actually quite sore. Can anyone recommend a really good hand cream that does miracles????

Thanks for your advice.

Sledge

Elle Macpherson body/skin products from Boots are good especially the body butter - if your are wanting to buy a big pot and not spend so much as the above suggestions. around ?6.00 for a 475ml tub (you don't need to use much). Works wonders for sore hands caused by the cold and over washing (I've found) and great for psoraisis and similar skin complaints. (tu)

See here

I used to use cream all the time (hands and body) but it all stopped when my daughter was born a year ago. Then my hands got so dry that they were cracking and bleeding. I tried a few creams but the one that work straight away as soon as I put it on was Avon Care Rich Moisture Glycerine Calcium Hand and Nail Cream - which really surprised me as before I had a baby i thought vaseline was the best!

Would second Neutrogena and also if you have little cracks - I get them on my thumbs- try neutrogena instant repair lip balm on them - comes in a pot, sold in sainsbury's. Do wear gloves for washing up and also outside (though probably not the same ones!) cold weather makes my hands much worse. Also try different soaps for washing hands.

I am forever washing my hands as I work as a cookery teacher, and they get so sore and cracked. The only thing that works for me, without stinging, is olive oil! Cheap as it's already in the kitchen! Just apply a small amount to damp hands, and there you go. The don't even feel greasy, and nice and natural too.

S

I found the neutrogena stuff quite sore to use (especially the sensitive one!) stange considerably and had to wash it off quite soon after application.

Does also depend how much you are willing to spend. Expensive does not always mean best.

Shea butter is available widely and cost efficient :)

Not sure if Kiehls Ultimate strength hand salve has been mentioned above. I think this is fantastic, and the samples they give out at John Lewis etc are extremely generous so you can try for a while before you buy!

I also use (and rate) Dr Hauschka (sp?).

The concentrated Neutrogena one (from the "Norwegian Formula" range) is great to rub into your hands before going to bed - you can put a lot more on than you would during the day and it can do its work without being interrupted by you washing your hands and using hand sanitiser. I find it a major pain to keep remembering hand cream during the day anyway so I prefer a nice thick cream at night.

HI Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I've bought some Aveeno to start with, and will work my way through recommendations if it doesn't work. The edges of my fingers are cracked so I will also try the cotton gloves, and lip balm solution.

Sledge

• 3 months later...

get the five quid Hand Balm by Flexitol - made for the purpose sorted my dry, cracked and occasionally bleeding hands a treat...

bit stinky, but never mind...

avail from chemists in ED - Northcross Rd and recently refurbished one on Grove Vale...

Try Tamu's organic fairtrade shea butter based products which are excellent for dry skin. The products are 100% natural and are available at Fortoroama 165 Lordship Lane - next door to the eco shop. I'm there every Thurs, Fri and every other Sat (I won't be there this Sat but the following Sat) it would be lovely to meet you all!

Tamu