Parking around East Dulwich station

I very much doubt the council will consult on a new CPZ around East Dulwich station for a number of years. The 2012 consultation didn't result in a CPZ and such exercises are very expensive.

For the record. I asked that the council consult on a 1 or 2 hour CPZ period Mon-Fri. So most visitors to the area for part of the day would have been totally unaffected. The shops on Grove Vale would have had customers being able to park. But it would have displaced some commuter parking - not great for those other streets - and seen some parking demand evaporate as the commuters found other routes/places to park.

Several street had a majority fort. A very few residents who attended public meeting from some streets near Lordship Lane wanted a CPZ 24.7 due to minicab parking/coming & goings.

But the North Dulwich new CPZ is likely to increase parking pressures in our pitch and i do believe it is the last Zone 2 station area in London to not have controlled parking.

For those against a CPZ the Southwark Labour group are planning to change the councils constitution which would mean such measures formally bypassing Dulwich Community Council and being decided by the council leader. I can;t imagine this is being done other than to push contentious changes through much more quickly - deliver fait accompli and hope people get on with any resulting changes. We will all have to be much more watchful for dire traffic changes.

I live on st Francis road - so I would say about as close as it gets - and it gets a bit busier in the day, but most of them are builders working on the road. But realistically, it's not that bad, I definitely would never support paying over ?100 for something that doesn't impact me. I've lived in permit parking before and it's awful - in particular, getting fines when you're trying to move into your own house!

Hi Broco123,

For those moving you can get an exception to parking constraints whether Southwark or TfL road. I've done both in the past. Moving from a TfL controlled road with double red lines to a single yellow line on Southwark controlled road. It didn't take much organising. I was surprised but this was some time ago.

Glad to here St.Francis oasis of calm parking. Others on other roads aren't feeling that BUT their are no plans to re consult on a Controlled Parking Zone.

IF someone find it easy or hard to park and it bothers them then best to log it with council officers via [email protected]

What may add extra parking pressures are the council estate parking changes on the East Dulwich Estate and Champion Hill estate locally - see http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/13136/changes_to_housing_estate_parking_-_public_notice_dated_11_february_2016

Estate controlled parking on Champion Hill estate, etc.

Just a little empirical observation on this issue: I just popped out for a breath of air and walked up Ondine Road and back via Oglander. On Ondine at 2PM there were fourteen empty spaces all large enough for a large saloon, and on Oglander there were twenty-nine similar spaces. Nowhere was the gap between spaces further than forty yards (except right at the top of Oglander by E.Dulwich Grove, which may be some evidence of commuter parking, but even there a space was available sixty yards or so down). So unless today is entirely atypical, "Parking in Ondine, Oglander and thereabouts is now almost impossible" should really read "Parking directly outside one's house in Ondine, Oglander and thereabouts is now almost impossible." Having to walk, at most, twenty yards from car to door seems to me, in the grand scheme of things, very little to grumble about.

The current administration has budgeted to introduce emissions based parking permits. They propose to announce the details this summer but anticipate making a scheme that will raise ?350,000 over the next two years. With thousands diving prematurely from air pollution we need to do something to remove the worst polluting vehicles. But deciding how much to raise and then creating a scheme doesn't appear the best way to do this.

So if we were ever asked again locally about controlled parking it would have quite a different context.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The current administration has budgeted to

> introduce emissions based parking permits. They

> propose to announce the details this summer but

> anticipate making a scheme that will raise

> ?350,000 over the next two years. With thousands

> diving prematurely from air pollution we need to

> do something to remove the worst polluting

> vehicles. But deciding how much to raise and then

> creating a scheme doesn't appear the best way to

> do this.

> So if we were ever asked again locally about

> controlled parking it would have quite a different

> context.

Vehicle Excise Duty already does this. What is Southwark playing at?

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Vehicle Excise Duty already does this. What is Southwark playing at?

I think we've already answered this one:

James Barber Wrote:

> raise ?350,000 over the next two years.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Does any other Borough, or local authority tax

> vehicle emissions?

Yes - Google "EMISSIONS BASED PARKING PERMIT" - Hackney, Barnet, Camden, Richmond etc etc

Thanks ed_pete, so I think I'd misunderstood what was being proposed - this will just apply to areas which have controlled parking int he first place as opposed to being something which is introduced universally?

It would be much easier to justify if it was cost neutral / non-revenue raising - so that there was a commensurate decrease in charges for low emission vehicles (as opposed to just raising income on those vehicles that are less efficient).

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy Wrote:

> Johnjohn Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I still find it odd that someone would drive to

> ED

> > Station to park and catch a train from there.

>

> The south/east of SE22 is a bit of a public

> transport black spot... I suspect quite a few

> people from round there drive to the station,

> rather than walk for 20+ mins or using the bus.

I will switch to bussing it to work and suspect that more people might be tempted to bus it to work once Sadiq's one hour fare comes in. .

Fafanoo Wrote:

> I will switch to bussing it to work and suspect

> that more people might be tempted to bus it to

> work once Sadiq's one hour fare comes in.

From my experience of attempting to get the bus to/from work, that one hour window often won't be long enough...

As far as I understand it you will actually be able travel for more than an hour with the second journey free, provided the transfer is made within an hour of the start of your original journey, so board a bus at 18.00, the next one will be free provided you board it before 18.59, then you can ride your second bus to the end of the route, if desired. By 2018(ish) apparently there's going to be an as many buses as you want in a hour ticket, but machinery upgrades mean it'll just be the one free transfer for now. Still a big thing, especially for lower paid Londoners, and well done Khan - Johnson told the Greens in 2009 that it was far too complex and costly and he wouldn't introduce it, SK's got it sorted within a couple of weeks of taking office!

rendelharris Wrote:

> board a bus at 18.00, the next one will be free

> provided you board it before 18.59, then you can

> ride your second bus to the end of the route, if

> desired.

Yes this is also my understanding, but my comment still stands. I tried to commute by bus for a few days earlier this year (I'd broken my foot and couldn't use the train), and I found the service absolutely pathetic. A 30 min wait for connecting services was not unusual.

After a while it is hoped/envisaged (yes, this is politico-speak, so don't hold your breath) that it will be possible to make multiple changes within the hour window, so you would be able to use three buses, for example, for the price of one.

The ?6.40 (?) cap on Zone 1 and 2 for all forms of transport is pretty good so the added bonus of a "free" bus ride is welcome. Thing is, though, where will the shortfall be felt?

Will the Peckham--Aldwych--King's X tram ever be resurrected?

Will people ever learn to not congregate around the doors/pram area/go upstairs?

Will the 176 ever become slightly less quiet than a sonic boom?

• 2 weeks later...
In the Shenley/Crofton Road area of Camberwell we have just successfully lobbied the council for another consultation. The reason the parking has got so much worse is the introduction of 5 new CPZs around King's College Hospital in the last 6 years. These are in both Lambeth and Southwark. If we get one I'm afraid the issue may get worse down the road in Peckham Rye/East Dulwich. The major problem is commuters to the hospital and also to the local train stations and bus stops on the main road. No one is keen on them, but our adjacent CPZs do have more parking capacity during the day.

Most people of course, don't choose to drive to the train station (it's easier to walk or get the bus), but for some, either due to mobility issues, or time constraints, it might be necessary, or simply convenient. There seems to be a prevailing view that cars should be restricted to only main roads, that they should only be parked outside the drivers house and shouldn't be used for travelling to places. This seems crazy to me. When the whole of London is a CPZ, the streets will just become storage spaces for people who want to own a car but not use it.

To back up Drolers point, as a resident on Shenley, the parking has got much much worse since other CPZs were introduced, and the motorists flocked to our roads instrad. Add to this the crazy level of building (such as builders parking on our street and taking the bus to their sites at Elephant & Castle!) and you've reached a situation where there is almost no parking 7 days per week.

A few years ago there was a resounding rejection of a CPZ - this time round the support for a CPZ is incredible - we have had hundreds of local residents across 6 affected roads sign a petition asking for the consultation, and a CPZ cant come soon enough.

Also worth noting that you don't need to buy books of day parking permits now - it can be done online on the day. Frankly, in our area saying free parking makes it easier for visitors ignores the reality that there are no spaces on the street all day - the horror stories we've heard of just how bad it is now make this abundantly clear.

Fingers crossed we get a CPZ ASAP!

Hi rahrahrah,

Do you live near East Dulwich station? or do you live somewhere else and want to maintain your free parking options?

I've asked you this before on this thread and you've blanked the question which I assume means you fall in the latter category.

Your argument to me would carry more weight, would appear principled, if you were from the former category.

Well James, we live on one of the closest roads to the station (Copleston) and I see no need for a CPZ at all. As I mentioned on here before, on a normal weekday in the middle of the afternoon I observed forty-three available empty parking spaces on Oglander and Ondine roads alone. I appreciate that over the other side of Grove Vale things might be different, but on this side I believe a CPZ would be making residents shell out to solve a problem which doesn't exist.