Parking around East Dulwich station

The point that has been made (well, and frequently over time, with illustrations and examples) is that the introduction of a CPZ anywhere in a suburban or urban environment will have a strong tendency to shift any parking pressure into any adjacent non CPZ zone, hence cascading demands for CPZs (and the income derived from them by councils). Suggesting (or implying) that only those in any current area under pressure have the 'right' to comment (or that their comments only are 'valid') is ridiculous (but not unexpected, from that source). For the record I live in ED, and have off-street parking for 3/4 cars (that's not 0.75 of a car) - so all CPZs would do is to increase the value of my property - and I'm still agin them.

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well James, we live on one of the closest roads to

> the station (Copleston) and I see no need for a

> CPZ at all. As I mentioned on here before, on a

> normal weekday in the middle of the afternoon I

> observed forty-three available empty parking

> spaces on Oglander and Ondine roads alone. I

> appreciate that over the other side of Grove Vale

> things might be different, but on this side I

> believe a CPZ would be making residents shell out

> to solve a problem which doesn't exist.

Agree with this, am in Oglander Road.

Hi Azalea, rendelharris,

And long may it remain that way for you.

Hi rahrahrah,

I live on Champion Hill. This has been public domain since 2006.

Of course people who are the most materially affected carry more weight in such a discussion.

Hi P68,

Yes knock on effects occur. Weirdly I didn't see anyone complain when the new CPZ at N.Dulwich station was implemented which clearly will push people parking more towards E.Dulwich.

@James, I live about 10 minutes walk from the station. I don't drive and park at the station if that's what you're implying (I usually walk to work (about 35-40 minutes away), occasionally cycle, or get the bus if working on a different site). None of this is particularly relevant of course, or really any of your business, but there you go.

Whilst I accept that people on the street should have their voices heard, so should others who will suffer the knock on impact of any CPZ. Just because you don't agree with my views does not mean that they are 'unprincipled'.

James Barber wrote:-

Of course people who are the most materially affected carry more weight in such a discussion.

That would be the teachers, doctors, nurses, shop workers, who work in ED to support our needs but have to travel in from elsewhere (because ED is now not affordable to many) and may not live somewhere were our curious 'public transport' bothers to serve effectively and who want somewhere to park so that they can continue to serve our needs. As they only come in during the working day they will be using spaces vacated by those living around here who use their cars to get to their work or otherwise get around. But them using their cars is fine, and 'their' parking spaces should be preserved, empty, for their eventual return.

The problem we are finding is that as the demographics shift in the area, and many young families and elderly people are in during the day, taking the car out becomes a major problem. I've lost count of the number of local residents with young families who find it incredibly difficult to run their lives because they cannot park in our local area now - I've met multiple people who have had, quite literally, a multi-hour wait for a single space across 4 roads (the only area that they can park due to CPZ expansion) and are trapped in their cars. There are mobility restricted people who do not qualify for a blue badge, but unable to walk any real distance unable to get out because they know they cannot get back in when they return. There are people we've met who need carers to visit them for essential care who cannot park because there is no space.

Trust me, when your road becomes a dumping ground for people not prepared to pay CPZ fees elsewhere, when you get contractors and companies refusing to work on your property because of where you live, when you get missed deliveries and near physical abuse from people who want your space, and your daily routine is stalked by a stranger who knows when you leave the house so they can have your space, then, then you will want a CPZ - its hell on earth now in Shenley Road for anyone who lives here and has to put up with the parking problems we've got.

It does sound like Shenley is a nightmare, but the situation is probably in no small part, a symptom of CPZs in surrounding streets. This is the problem, CPZs create new problems along their borders. Councillors, as we have seen, think that only those within a proposed CPZ should have a say, treating each area as a discrete concern, with no sense of the bigger picture. The situation in ED is quite different. There are no streets where people are having to wait for over an hour to find a space across 4 roads. Of course, if we introduce a CPZ around the station, those roads a little further out may well start experiencing such problems, as parking which was dispersed across a wider area get's concentrated on a smaller number of streets around the CPZs border.... and so the continual expansion goes on.