No parking on Crystal Palace Road

Narnia

The point I'd would make is that these people are being paid by the council with our money (I assume you pay council tax). In any normal working environment you would expect the work to be done as efficiently as possible. If you were a plumber and we agreed you would fit a new shower for me on a Monday and told me not to use the current one in the meantime, and you didn't turn up until Wednesday, would you get many jobs if that's how you operated?I doubt it. Meanwhile I'd be very smelly.

I would hazard a guess that you have absolutely no idea as to what's is involved in renewing a road surface?

(i for one don't!)

In which case how can you possibly comment on their progress??

All i'm saying is chill out and give them a wee bit of a break, it's not like they've been laying about for weeks...

Jeebus, they only started on Monday!

I really don't think it's anything to do with the guys renewing the road surface but those who organise the said renewing. My complaint is that for two days the road (or part of) was effectively closed off without any work being done on it.That's poor management. No further comment to make as it is a really boring subject.

What hacked me off was the lack of notice given. I had a skip delivered at 10am last Friday (March 19th) and the notice came through the door later the same morning announcing that road resurfacing would commence the following Tuesday.

Three weeks prior to that Southwark council had issued me a permit (which you must have to put a skip on the street, at a cost of ?50) valid for four weeks.

In other words, Southwark expected me to forfeit four days use of the skip which I'd already paid them for permission to have there, and it's hard to believe this isn't a regular occurance.

Don't worry about it mate just fill your skip.

But be sharpish the heavier it is the tougher it is to move.

And if they give you any grief you can wave the permit in their face, in fact you may want to copy it and paste a copy to the skip or nearest lampost for their info.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Presumably if the money WASN'T spent it could be

> used in the next financial year and possibly

> reduce our council tax in the meantime.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

No, it's my understanding that normally if money isn't spent in one financial year it's lost.

Not only that but probably the departmental budget for the following year will be cut as often it's based on the previous year's spending.

So a double wammy.

^Narnia, The theory goes that if they didn't need so much money this year, they won't be given so much the next.

So presumably instead of us getting nice new smooth roads only for Thames water to dig up three days later, the money might /could end up going to other things like wars or the NHS or other boring stuff like that:)

Politics eh!

Thanks for that Pearson though I believe I did have an idea how that worked. Thus if money wasn't spent needlessly less would be required next year and council tax could be reduced. So, no department is going to say their budget was too much and we get loads of roadworks at this time of the year to make sure all of it is spent. CPRd was not in a particularly bad condition that I'm aware of. Seems like there is noone to have to justify this to. Politics yeah!

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No, it's my understanding that normally if money

> isn't spent in one financial year it's lost.

>

>

> Lost where? Someone has it.

xxxxxxxxx

It's "lost" to the department who didn't spend it.

That's how things work in the public sector, apparently.