HOw does one find a good childminder? Desparate!

OK I may have left this far too late but I did have my daughter down for nursery nearby. Trouble is it looks like they won't have a place for her. SO I started ringing childminders from the Directgov list. I've contacted loads now and had no luck. BUt I've just realised that loads of childminders don't actually put their details on the Directgov list. WHich explains why there were so few childminders nearby where I live (Denmark Hill).

I've put an ad on the classified here but apart from that I'm not sure how to track them down. Does anyone have any tips? Are there playgroups in the Denmark Hill area where they congregate for example?

All advice appreciated!

I would suggest that you speak to Childminding Network Coordinator in your area. She runs the Childminder drop in groups and can probably give you advice about those childminders in your area who have vacancies as the Direct Gov list is not always fully upto date because childminders don't always inform the FIS when thay have or don't have a vacancy.

I am a n ofsted registered childminder in Dulwich and yes ur best bet is to contact family informatin services as the waiting list for nursries in this area are approx 18mths long. Grove Vale Library on Tuesday mornings is anther place you might get some info/meet minders etc;.

Go to www.simplychildcare.co.uk - you can place an ad and see ads placed by childminders for your area - many of them are not on council lists, it's where I found my lovely childminder and many friends have too.

Not necessarily - for one reason or another some childminders do not want their details on the direct.gov site.

Up until a a couple of years ago I was on Southwark's list (which is now on direct.gov) but was getting so many phone calls (literally 4 or 5 a day) and I felt terrible having to turn people away all the time, and also because when your're childminding you can't talk properly on the phone!

When I have a space I can usually fill it by word of mouth (or through forums like this) or just by talking to other childminders that I see at different groups.

I think that Southwark are not allowed to give our details to anyone if we are not on the site but they can phone us direct (which they have with me a couple of times) on behalf of someone looking for a childminder.

Exactly as Minder says - most childminders (I think) are Ofsted registered so operate under a very stringent code (all childminders I know do anyway) and I probably should't say this but think 'good' childminders don't often go on the list as they don't need to - their spaces are filled months in advance due to word of mouth. I looked through the council list and was very uninspired then found simply childcare.