Dulwich ballet school term dates - help!

• 1 year later...

Maybe I should have started a new thread but I just wanted to ask- we are looking for quite a serious school(in as much as you can be serious as a child) for the girls. The reason I say this is that three generations of the family have been serious about ballet and my mother was, in particular. She considered it as a career. Anyway, we want somewhere that puts children in for RAD exams and where the teaching is, well again, serious.

Do you think that DBS is the answer and, if not, where would you recommend?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

I hace experienced both DBS and Chelsea Ballet school which holds classes in St Barnabus Church Hall in the village.

DBS seems the most serious - RAD syllabus, regular large scale productions of real ballets and lets the children know about auditions eg for the London Children's Ballet.

Chelsea Ballet doesn't seem to link the children to the wider ballet world and follows the Cecchetti method.

How interesting. Thank you so much, Trinity. Funnily enough, I did Cecchetti for a few years myself as I very much wanted to have a particular teacher who swore by it. I found it much harder to get good grades than with RAD and the actual exercises and barre-work were more challenging eg holding developes for much longer etc. However, this teacher was rather an outlier hence why I would like the girls to follow a more mainstream syllabus.

I think I'll get in touch with DBS this week - thank you again.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear 'new mother',

South London Dance Studios in Herne Hill is my dance school and we cater for the 'once a week hobby child' as well as offer an all round training for the child who wants to take dance more 'seriously'. We regularly enter dance competitions and our students can audition for West End Shows and children's dance companies such as NYB and LCB.

My advice is that you should focus on finding the best ballet teacher rather than choosing a syllabus then finding a teacher. In the past I have (like many other dance teachers) taken my own examinations in and also taught all the main syllabi, so I know that it makes no difference which syllabus you follow as long as the teaching is excellent!

My chosen examining body is Imperial Ballet (ISTD) because I find the syllabus much more useful in terms of preparing my students for auditions and a possible career in dance. This is because, alongside the usual set exercises, there is also a lot of 'free work' in the examination meaning that the children have to actually use their brains and put steps together in the examination. So ballet classes at SLDS and the ISTD Imperial Ballet examinations are mentally as well as physically challenging!

I hope my point of view helps.

(Miss) Zoe