help all bugaboo users - shall I buy carrycot or cocoon for new born?

Thank you!

Not sure whether to invest in a carrycot or buy a cocoon.

With a carrycot, it strikes me as being easier to set down the baby whilst you're putting the pram in and out of the car for example. Also the baby would be fully flat and wouldn't they be less likely to wake up where as moving them around in a cocoon may disturb them? But some people say it's actually very unpractical to carry. Plus a cocoon is much cheaper!

Your experience would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I don't think there was an option of carrycot for the Bee when we bought ours. But I had no issues with the coccon for general travelling around (no car, so we did fair bit of walking with it!) my kids were both 6lbs+, I imagine that smaller babies might be better off in a sling until they don't seem so swamped by the straps though.

Used the cocoon from birth here too. I don't think you would necesarilly put the carrycot on the ground when getting in and out of the car - you'd simply put him in the car seat, and fold the pram and then do the same in reverse. In fact one of the plus sides of the cocoon is that you simply fold it as part of the pram - you don't detach it at all.

I had big babies though.

Cocoon was the only option we had when we bought - what I didn't like was having to do/undo straps to get baby out. Even in the early days this invariably woke up the girls whereas a carry cot would have allowed sleeping baby to be put down more easily. So I would buy the carrycot with the full buggy if that works out better and then look for a second hand cocoon or footmuff for when baby is 4-5 months old and can be propped up slightly more in the buggy (and presumably it'll be winter by then? Good luck!

Thanks devsdev - yes that has been my main train of thought, that I will be disrupting the baby is sleeping by fiddling around with the straps etc.

Decisions decisions!

As an aside, it's incredibly difficult to find second hand bugaboo carrycots on ebay!

I (admittedly 4.5 years ago now) had the cocoon, as the carrycot wasn't an option at that time. I don't remember any fiddling round with straps? The cocoon was strapped into the buggy, and I left those straps done up all the time, they weren't round the baby.

Anyway, baby used to fall asleep on the school run and I used to transfer her to her cot when I got home, so it was never an issue for us.

It's only a few months, then you move to using the buggy by itself anyway.

you can do without, but i would have liked the cocoon and would definitely buy one if i had the option.

i don't know if you are supposed to our not, but i had to strap mine in - he was a wriggler and i once found he had wiggled right down into the bottom of the cocoon (he had all naps in pram)

edited to say i didn't realise they are so expensive though! a couple are for sale in the 'for sale' section btw.

The carrycot didn't exist with my first either and I found the cocoon fine. If my baby was asleep when we got home I just parked her up in the kitchen. I ummed and ahhed about buying the carrycot this time around as I thought it might be better but the price tag put me off and I never got around to it. Good thing too as it turns out my second baby MUCH prefers the sling to the buggy (and it's also helped to carry her upright due to reflux)and at 4.5 months she's only been in the buggy about half a dozen times.

I would personally say buy a cocoon and a good sling. I used the cocoon until my first was about a year before switching to the footmuff and on reflection a carrycot is only good to about 4/5 months I think before the baby will want to look around and at that age they'd be swamped by the footmuff!

We had the carry cot for our daughter and I really liked it. I particularly liked that I could lift it off the buggy and carry her into the living room or wherever if she was still asleep when we got home from a walk. We also occasionally used it instead of the moses basket for day time naps when she was tiny too as she hated or real moses basket!

It was also great when the weather was bad over the winter. I felt it offered more shelter/protection from wind and cold than the cocoon.

That being said, we moved her out of it far earlier than I was expecting - 4 months rather than the 6 I was thinking it would last for. She got to a point where she was clearly frustrated that she couldn't see out.

Hope that helps with your decision x

I had a cocoon with my Bugaboo Cameleon but I honestly used it once. I had a Maxi Cosi basket/car seat that my baby loved and made my life easier moving her from pram to car especially when she's asleep.To add, the convenience of not having to bring both sets. I just had to buy adaptors but was well worth it. And now I'm stuck with a cocoon that's just taking space.

Thanks all! Love this forum for tips and advice. I think we will go with the cocoon, just for space saving and also as the carrycot may not last too long albeit useful as a replacement moses basket. So difficult to decide but everyone's tips have been very helpful.

Thanks all.

Bought the Cocoon and Bee from my BIL and SIL... Initially, felt a bit nervous for my baby, as everyone else seemed to have lovely, snoozy, cosy bassinets or giant prams for their babies, without having to strap their tiny arms in, but from about 4 months I was thrilled... And now I'm the one laughing as my baby's a big 10 month-old and I have to drag him up and down stairs and buses. Carrycot will seem lovely in the very beginning, but quickly you'll be fine with the Cocoon!