-------------------------------------------------------

> Lawn Enthusiasts,

>

> If you have a fair sized lawn and want to take the

> hard graft our of aerating and scarifying then

> have a look at the;

> AL-KO Comfort 32VLE Combi 1000w Scarifier

>

> I recently bought one and it's truly amazing.

>

> Happy Gardening

> David Cheetham MSGD

I only have a smallish lawn so don't really need that.

I'm wondering how to get my lawn free of little bumps. This is keeping me from my work at the moment. Its possibly the most important thing in my life. 2010 is the year when my lawn will come of age. No child shall set foot on it. Helicopters will be supplied to take children from garden gate to the climbing frame at the other end of the garden (journey of 40ft).

I don't have a roller so I spent yesterday dropping this huge paving slab on the lawn from front to back - this seems to have helped a little.

I think it will be impossible to cut the grass really short unless its completley bump free - how is this best achieved David?...

Also I'm ready to buy a new mower - I have a bosch electric rotary one which has been fine but people tell me if you want a really good cut you should go for a clinder mower, even a push one? is this true?

Unfortunatley I missed the Forum drinks on Friday when apparently all lawn issues were discussed in great detail so I was disappointed to miss that. Instead I watched the Masters where I just got more jealous of others achieving green perfection.

On the upside my lawn is looking much greener, but still bumpy. Help...

The Lawn discussion was a very blokey but international affair we had represntatives from Scotland, Ireland, England and even the midlands if I remember rightly. Opinions were standard 10pm in the pub fair - varied, ill thought out, hearsay, contradictory and repetetive but seemed horticulturely sound at the time. My lawn still looks rubbish and my two year old 10 year guranteed Wilkinson Sword rake broke on Saturday to make matters worse. Mines so patchy and bumpy i'm just strimming.

Hi,

David is up to his eyes with design projects for Chelsea at the moment, so as his trusty side kick that manages his maintenance business the Dulwich Garden Company - I hope I'm worthy enough to follow in his footsteps for a while.

With regards trimming and pruning it really depends on how bad the bush looks. If you can't stand it, then give it a light trim at the momen just for shape. However, I know the hot weather has us all out and about in the garden but let's give the weather a bit more time to kick start what has been a late season so far.

Happy Gardening!

Shane Hickey

Dulwich Gardening Company

Me again everyone,

Already I have messed-up as I'm repsonding to questions from page 1 - never even saw the posts on page 2 - apologies! No doubt I'll be on heavy digging for a week.

Mic Mac, I have read all your past posts and really thought you were our lawn champion but hopefully my handy tips might help.

With regards the bumps in the lawn, yes a roller would be helpful to even them out. But, you could also try cutting the lawn around the bump, flip it back dig out some of the excess soil and then flip the piece of lawn back in to position. But remember to water in well after you have done this. Very much depends on how many bumps there are.

And lawn mowers - I have a number of them petrol and electric and yes a cylinder mower does give a good cut but have found that the Bosch Rotak range with combined rollers can do the job just as well. At the end of the day, like most things it really depends on how much you want to pay.

Happy Gardeing

Shane Hickey

Hi Shane - welcome to the EDF.

The UK is one of the few EU countries where phosphate washing powder is sold without restriction. Dreft, for example, contains 15-30% phosphates.

Any ideas about recycling wash water as garden and allotment fertiliser rather than polluting rivers and oceans with phosphate-rich effluent?

Peckham Rose,

Well my advise with regards using cat or dog poop as a fertiliser is to stay well clear. The only poop that can really be used for fertiliser comes from herbivores - cows, sheep, etc. There's too many chemicals, parasites and too much bacteria in carnivore poop.

Hal, I've heard of 'grey' water being used for watering during hose pipe bans but never used it personally. Perfer to stock up on water butts as and where I have the space.

Happy Gardening

Shane Hickey

Had dinner with my neighbours this evening and was amazed at their pond which is not only awash with frog spawn but also perfect for attracting wildlife.

Now I know it's not everyone's dream to have a pond especially in smaller gardens, but if done right they are a mini-oasis.

The success to a wildlife pond is all about a balanced ecosystem and what you plant goes a long way in achieving this. Basically, a pond should have 3 types of plant, oxygenating which grow mainly under the water, floating and marginal.

Any good garden centre should be able to help with varities such as crowfoot, water voilet, arrowhead and flowering rush.

Happy Gardening

Shane Hickey

• 2 weeks later...

sophiesofa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a turf question. I know I need to fork all

> the soil before I lay the turf but do I need to

> leave the soil to settle after raking so after a

> few days rake again then lay the turf? Anyone

> know? I don't want to mess it up. Thanks in

> advance.

Yes I do - you should let it settle, and you should roll it with a roller or stamp it down all over, or all of the above. Make sure its as flat as possible and avoid any depressions as water may settle there once the turf is on. Its worth spending the time to get the surface right before laying the turf as much more difficult to get a flat surface later. Lightly rake the surface before applying the turf so can get some "purchase" to the soil.

Hi Sophie,

To be honest there are a number of methods for laying lawns especially new ones. Preparation is the key in terms of establishing levels and also to ensure that there are no stones/rocks that could tear the turfs. However, I use a sledge hammer and plank along all the joints after I have laid a new lawn. Sorts out the levels, knocks out any air pockets and also helps to butt the joins together.

Happy Gardening

Shane