Madly orange munching pregnant mums!?????

Anyone else out there who is pregnant and craves oranges like some sort of citrus lunatic???

I could easily polish off 5 or 6 a day, and my reflexologist said it is a craving to counteract the metallic taste in your mouth that the surge of estrogen can cause.

Seems plausible, or is it just that I am odd?

My mum craved oranges when she was pregnant with me :-) She went on to crave doughnuts with my sister !?!?! To this day she blames herself for my sister having fillings whereas I have none!

I craved chips in pitta bread, chocolate and pizza with my daughter...... best I get her some dentures now ;-)

Salt and vinegar crisps and "zinger" burgers from KFC were my cravings. Fruit & veg in general turned my stomach, so yours sounds like a very healthy craving (but be sure to eat plenty of high fat/sugar foods as well while you still have the pregnancy excuse!) :)

Oh that's just one of my cravings. I also eat Maldon Sea Salt as is (for a little snack), and could virtually live off those Organix kids' crisps. Oh and popcorn (with salt of course) for morning, lunch and dinner if I could get away with it.

Anyone know any science behind salt cravings?

I could go a donut right now too..........

Not that it probably helps but...craved seafood with first (who is convinced he is a pecsatarian and won't eat red meat) and fruit (esp strawberries) with 2nd. 2nd is not very fond of strawberries. Not sure that tells you anything. At least you are not craving coal, although crunching on ice was very nice.

Ok, since we're at it, during my first, I once ate a few dog biscuits. I knew it was wrong, but I wanted more.

I suspect I could go there again but fortunately, we no longer have a dog.

I once also wanted to eat one of the bath balls in Lush. Or just lick it. So wrong.......

Apparently, freshly squeezed orange juice is a very common craving- I drank it by the gallon. Probably to counteract all the salty and cheesy food I was craving (and eating), especially prosciutto (hmmm) and M&S cheese curls.

I also had a mad crush for oranges when I was pregnant 23 years ago. They had to be the huge oranges and I used to eat about 6 a day. Funnily enough my daughter, who I was pregnant with during this orange fest time has a wierd allergy to oranges. Her skin goes all red and itchy when she touches the pith or skin......

I lived off oranges when I was pregnant, especially freshly squeezed orange juice. Was very sad when I had to stop this with a small baby (just in case citrus caused colic - it didn't work though!) My baby loves oranges now.

Oranges make the morning sickness worse for me. It was sausages at the beginning, now I'm averse to most meat. But cheese, in particular cauliflower cheese, but anything cheesy is what's grabbing me right now. And lots of carbs - toast, cereal. But generally, simply cannot believe how much I'm eating! Will be the size of a house by the time I hit 4 months!

You're not odd! There is some science behind it... apparantly citrus helps the body absorb iron so if you are slightly lacking in iron, your body will crave oranges (more tempting than other citrus fruits like lemons or limes) to help with iron absorbtion.

I'm still craving liqorice allsorts!

Oh my, Little ED family those are some weird cravings you?ve had! Although apparently it is perfactly normal to crave weird things and some people even crave eating ash! It?s called Pica acording to pregancy books..

As far as I am concerned at the beginning of my pregnancy I just wanted fruit amd veg (strange in me, or maybe subconsciously I was just trying to do the right thing and give my baby lots of vitamins)... but it is all gone downhill since then..chocolate, red meat, Ben & Jerry?s Cookie Dough ice-cream by the tub...although the truth is that has always been a passion of mine, now I just have a good excuse to eat it..I always tell my husband "don?t you dare to have a go at me for eating all this junk food, after all I the nice things I am having to give up!"

The weirdest thing is that I use to love drinking beer, almost on a daily basis, but since I am pregnant I dont fancy it a bit. Again I have heard other pregnant friends say they don?t feel like alcohol, so it must be subconsccious way of protecting our babies.

My mother reported craving oranges when pregnant with my brother - sounds rather healthy - but with me it was gallons and gallons of condensed milk, consumed secretly from a stash under her bed. Mmmmm...

OMG!!!! When i was in my 1st and 2nd trimester i had a serious citrus fruit craving!!! I was eating like 10 satsumas in the space of 2 hours!! And they had to be the lovely sweet ones from the vine!! Vals shop (opposite library) was doing lovely satsumas at the time....think she thought i was mad, the amount i was buying!!

I am now 38 weeks pregnant, and love passion fruit!! So glad ive only craved fruit, no bad stuff!! :))

Simone

Hee hee, glad am not the only one. Had serious citrus cravings with my daughter and have them again this time: oranges, (bags of) satsumas and lemon and limes, at one point was eating whole limes!

My daughter loves oranges and satsumas.

Late on with my daughter I also loved extra strong mints, eucalyptus and anything menthol: would deeply sniff Vosene shampoo.

Condensed milk option sounds nicer.

prm: If only I had gone off alcohol. I have the odd sip of my husband's various alcoholic drinks and it is like nectar from the gods (esp beer)!!! I mustn't have enough of the maternal 'baby protecting' gene.

KateW - funny you should mention the iron, as apparently I am pretty anaemic (forcing meat, fluoridix, and preg supplements down my gob in desperate attempt to sort it out!).

I suppose maybe diverse range of cravings (although citrus does seem a common one) is a highly sophisticated individual response to lacking nutrients. I am telling myself I am lacking salt. I must give my body salt (dipping fingers into stash of Maldon).