This is going to make me sound middle-aged and puritanical, but.....

No way am I going to stop listening to Radio 4, its on all day, and the only thing that keeps me sane during the long, long days of childcare when I beg just to hear the voice of somebody who is not screaming at me insanely/wailing for one reason or another (other than during the Today prog, obv).

Oh dear it's a bit of a reversed stance from me (Radio 1 by the way - my OH hates it ). I can't help making up rude versions of the children's TV tunes.

I have a wicked set of lyrics for 64 Zoo Lane!

But as our nearly-3 year old's favourite saying is 'for f**k's sake the pooter's broken again', I think we're down for a parenting prize anyhow. (My husband's fault - honest!)

R4 is fine. Mine have been listening all along and they just tune in and out - mostly out. The 9 yr old suddenly tuned in this morning when David Cameron said he was moving into No 10 today and wanted to know why he wasn't at home packing.

ryedalema - that reminds me of my cousin's kid, who aged 3 and having clearly overheard my cousin complaining about length of time her hubbie spent in shower, asked his dad 'how long does it take to have a f***ing shower anyway?'.

Katgod, I cant stop giggling about "these socks are on fire" wish id thought of that! I generally do a bit of a combination of XFM and BBC london now and can generally switch the radio in the car down quite quickly if i think there is going to disturbing news item.

After a particuarly difficult incident trying to get my car up a very steep hill in Cornwall, where my language was really rather foul ( In my defence I had spent 30 mins not being able to get past the bend in the road,) I pulled over to apologise to my daughter who was 8 at that point. I also did the speech about how sometimes adults are silly under pressure and chose the wrong words but she MUST NEVER use the words at which point she gave me a little smile and told me not to worry as daddy uses those words and worse all the time when he is driving and she knew not to say them !

In the car yesterday I was recounting this thread to my OH. I agree, some of the lyrics on the radio now are quite shocking (although I also agree I had some shockers in my youth too. And just as we were talking, Frankie's 'Relax' came up on the ipod! That was completely banned in the 80's, but listening to it now I've got no clue why...

ryedalema Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But as our nearly-3 year old's favourite saying is

> 'for f**k's sake the pooter's broken again', I

> think we're down for a parenting prize anyhow. (My

> husband's fault - honest!)

I seriously..

..had to "revise" my creative use of language when..

my 3 year old would pipe up " bloody idiot/silly f'in cow " if I "beeped" the horn on my car

( though having "Capitol Radio" on is far, far worse ;-) IMHO )

W**F