Turkish Delight

Ron&Tom

I was just wondering if anyone had eaten at Hisar on Lordship Lane?

Recently become quite partial to Turkish cuisine after going on holiday there and attempting a few dishes myself.

I would like to try it out this Sunday.

Your views please.

Cheers.

We eat there a lot. Good value. Our children love it. The mixed meze (they do a veggy one too) at 7.50 to serve two people is very good and we also like the borek, the grilled halloumi. I'm a veggy but Mr F enjoys the mixed grill thingy.

Puddings are disappointing though and it's something like ?3.50 for two little pastries!

I do like it..

..& the meat is lean & tender. Cooked over charcoal, tastes authentic. As for the pitta, it lets it down, very average, try harder

W**FScoreTM

However, the Humous is bland, cardboardy & flavourless. It lacks texture, plus they should make it them selves as a house special, even charge a premium & I'd happily pay for it but don't fob me off with that mush & expect a smile

W**FScoreTM

The "Taramosalata" is on the same parallel. It's cheap bucket bought fatty gloop, over salted, even gummy. Really it's an insult to it's roots & better quality is easily available

W**FScoreTM

Lastly, the fat in the chip fryers is bitter & cheap, change it to clean rapeseed oil & the whole taste will improve ( not to mention my arteries )

W**FScoreTM

In short.....

"Hisar" is good but could easily be soooo much better.

It's tough-love as I do love you. I just don't like some of the things you do

W**F

* someone work out the mean average, I can't as I'm fanning myself with a polystyrene container lid *

My and my partner went there a few weeks ago. It was really nice. The staff are polite. I am a massive halloumi fan, and there's was spot on. The mixed grills could feed two in my experience. Worth the money I believe... I'd advise anyone to at least try it. I know alot of people who use Hisar regularly and never have a bad word to say.

Have never had a bad meal at the Hisar, and the service is good too.

They do a set meal - you can choose meat, fish or veggy based - which is extraordinarily good value, large range of cold starters, hot starters, main dishes ..... we were full after the cold starters but if I remember right they gave us doggy bags :))