German measles

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with german measles? I think my son has it. He was seen by a doc on sat who diagnosed a viral rash but since then it has got much worse on his face (it started on his back and nappy area). Everything I've read says it starts on the face and works it's way down the body, which def wasn't the case with him. But it now looks like the pictures on Internet. He is ok, had 2 days of temp and not eating but seems happier this morning, but I'm just worried about my friend who we were with in the week who is pregnant. I will take him back to the doc's, but just wondered if anyone else had experienced it with their kids. Ta

You don't mention if your son has had the MMR = in which case it would be unlikely. It is a much milder illness than measles so doesn't cause as many problems, as you have expressed is more worrying in pregnancy. Your friends booking bloods will have included screening for rubella immunity.

I thought my 3yr old might have German measles last week and like you was diagnosed with a viral rash - The Dr pointed out that as he had had his MMR this covered Rubella (German Measles) - hadn't really clicked it covered this thought it was just measles. I too was worried about pregnant friends but was assured it was very unlikely that a pregnant woman is not already immune to Rubella.

I didn't remember that they do rubella at your booking bloods, ta. He has had Mmr but only the first one and I know you can still get all of then until u have full immunity with the booster shot. He's ok now anyway his temp has settled was just thinking about friend. I don't particularly want him having a blood test for no reason as it wouldn't change anything anyway. It was just that he had all of the signs ie cold and lymph nodes up but his rash went the wrong way round!! Maybe I'll give him a couple of days and if it's not on it's way out we can go back to doc's.

Ta for ur replies. X

carrieon23, as you say, German Measles are only a risk to pregnant women who do not have immunity (either did not have MMR or German Measles as a child). You are right that as your son has only had one MMR jab he is still not completely immune. German Measles is mild and your son is already feeling better. I had it twice as a child, once on my legs only and once on my torso. Never on my head or upper body. Just thank heavens it was not measles. Ghastly illness, my brother was very seriously ill with this in the 70s.

My little one was diagnosed with rubella a week before her MMR jab was due - she had a relatively mild dose of it, temperature for a couple of days, grumpy/out of sorts and spotty for a few days. My hubbie on the other hand, who had not had it when he was little suffered much much worse - he was laid up for about 3 weeks - it was completely debilitating.....

Exactly the same kirstymac1 with my little boy. His rash mainly covered his torso. Treated the rash with calamine lotion, and him with Calpol for the temp, and we were in quarantine for one week.

We were sent a swab kit and the results were inconclusive - probably because he wouldn't really let me put the swab in his mouth for long enough.

Sure your friend will be fine.

Might be worth trying to speak to your doc on 'phone before you go to surgery. If you do need to see the doc, maybe he or she could come out to you. I went down to ours with my son and was told off because of possibility of infecting other people in the waiting room...

My 12 month old boy was confirmed as a suspected case this morning. Unfortunately never thought it might be German Measles and went to the doctors with him. He seems fine but obviously very worried about pregnant people he has been in contact with. Definitely something to watch out for at the moment. Rash pictures below for those wondering what it looks like:

http://www.skinsight.com/child/rubellaGermanMeasles.htm

Carrieon - pls let us know what doc says. My 12-month-old also diagnosed with viral rash, but have since found out she's been in contact with German Measles. Hasn't had any MMR yet.

I have pregnant friends to warn if it is GM, but since she seems on the mend (no longer has a temp, rash reducing, but still bit grumpy and tired), I'm not sure if there's any need to get it diagnosed. What does anyone think?

Thanks

Well, as its progressed im now not convinced it was german measles. His dots never joined up!! The rash remained little spots alomost like heat rash that just doesn't go away. They are still visible on his face and bottom 11 days later. We went back to the doc's as they said to if it hadn't gone and still no idea other than viral illness. So who knows. His little buddy from nursery seems to have come down with a similar thing so theres obviously something going around as always! He also gave me something as I had temp and felt awful for 4 days last week. Oh the joys!!

Hope everyone is on the mend soon. xx