What's it really like to live in Dulwich?

'They loved Peckham Rye and now we're in Streatham - way to go Phil' - genius Kirsty quote on location!!!

Have to say I LOVE living centrally in ED. Think we will extend extend rather than move out - the countryside absolutely NO way (scares me), and I think I'd really rather not compromise and get 'more for my money' in Forest Hill etc (not being mean, I just love being near all the ED shops). Since having naughty baby snowboarder I appreciate being close to the action so to speak all the more - at first he screamed so it was great the shops were nearby and I could bail pretty quick if things got too hairy, now he's super wriggly so glad not to have to walk far or get on a bus with him squirming in the buggy.

LLL did come to Nunhead a few years ago Molly, but they filmed Phil outside The Green on ED Road! Glad to see tonight's episode actually was in ED.

I'm also in the SE Corner of Nunhead. Yes there's nothing EDish over here but that's why we could afford to buy our flat and I loved the walk through PRye Park every day with my baby. You can even walk to Brockley/bus to New Cross Gate in 15 mins now the East London Line is back too.

Yorkie Wrote:

> I'm also in the SE Corner of Nunhead. Yes there's

> nothing EDish over here but that's why we could

> afford to buy our flat and I loved the walk

> through PRye Park every day with my baby.

Tee Hee - I know what we've got that is EDish - half the former

residents of ED!! Oh plus Ayres Bakers and Sopers for Fish, but

other than that, we are much quieter over here it's true, but that

is partly why I like it - with the park, the cem and the railway line

we are almost cut off, with few roads in, and few people come here

unless they need to, so we have cleaner air and less traffic - hurrah!

I agree about the walk over the park - 15 mins to Northcross Road, and

a lovely walk, I imagine it would take around the same time from the

Underhill Road end of ED.

Anyway, sorry, not meaning to hi-jack the thread. What I do think is good

though is that with the 'gentrification' of ED the surrounding areas have

changed too, which most of us feel is a good thing (there are always a few

who disagree of course). I think all the areas mentioned in the posts above

are very nice and well worth looking at.

Molly

Agree with you Molly. There are other equally desirable leafy, child friendly areas in south east London which are also perfect for bringing up a family other than East Dulwich. Having lived in the area for 7 years the closest to ED we'll be moving to, to raise our brood is Wood Vale because we still like being close to Forest Hill.

On another note, what an anti climax the couple on LLL loved ED SO MUCH but made an offer on a property in Forest Hill!

There are several Dulwich's

East Dulwich you have heard about.

Dulwich Village- traditional area- close to good state schools until age 11 and then still good state secondary school charter- and many private schools too. Not much vibe though and more established. Good for Dulwich Park

West Dulwich- this is an area with no real heart- but several shopping parades- was more popular than east dulwich with bigger gardens but has lost out in the last 10 years to east dulwich - and was more expensive.Possible better transport links

depending on where you work. good for belair park and close to west norwood-

North dulwich which is the area north of half moon lane - with North Dulwich station to the east and Herne Hill to the west. Again no real centre ( compared to Lordship Lane in East Dulwich) but good for transport and brockwell park.

yes we know our neighbours and quite a few other people on our road, plus lots of other people whom we have just started talking to when out and about. its very easy to get to know people! you get to know the local shopowners etc too. we also have a lovely residents association where everyone is very friendly.

lots of nice pubs, bars, delis and coffee shops. one of the best things is the parks - dulwich park and peckham rye. both beautiful.

Because they probably got a better house for the same money, and everything they loved about ED is still on their doorstep. That is best of both worlds.

EDIT: Sorry, hsdn't seen page 2. The above was in response to the post about the coupl choosing a house in Fozzy Hill, despite loving ED.

Yes I guess we're lucky because of Aisha at WW who opened up new pastures to us when we were on the verge of putting an offer on a property in ED and while I'm not going to share how much we saved by moving to FH, our wise decision at the time made us a good return in the long run so I guess like that couple on LLL we used our heads over heart..

All of the previous posts go to show that this is a great area and there is choice for everyone depending on your budget and prsonal preferences. If you like being in the middle of the action go for a smaller place in central East Dulwich on top of Lordship Lane. If you prefer a bigger house and still be within easy access to the ED amenities go to Forest Hill, Peckham Rye, Honor Oak etc. I first moved to central ED about 10 yrs ago and loved living there (although it was a much different place to what it is today). Now I live on top of Forest Hill and love it just as much, I live in a much bigger place, lovely road. great neighbours, better transport links and can still be in Lordship Lane/Dulwich Village/Dulwich Park/Peckam Rye within a few minutes. Any of the areas mentioned I think are great for families.