New curry house - east dulwich road

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Foxy the interior is looking lovely! I shall

> certaintly be visiting it on its first week of

> opening. Are you aware of any opening week offers?

>

>

> Louisa.

Have PM'd you. Do not want to post anything here that may be misleading ..

Foxy.

It does seem like just more of the same old actually.

Yawnsville, TN.

If anybody wants real and decent Indian (Tamil) food, head down to Everest in Lewisham. I just fed 5 of us for ?30, not a 'Korma' (FFS) in sight. No beer, but no problem with that once in a while.

ED has had a reputation for curry houses the last four decades at least, not everyone wants some bastardised version of 'authenticity' (which usually means paying over the odds). If the formula isn't broke, then why fix it? Multiple curry houses along the lane all busy and most successfully been in business for a decade or even more. If people want something specifically regional or more authentic, then they'll not mind travelling further to find it for a once in a while treat.

Louisa.

It's the only LOCAL Indian / Bangladeshi Restaurant where you can BYOB and with no corkage.

That suits some people..

The large seperate rear space will provide an area for Private parties.. which is what is proposed.

There will be live music evenings.. something different.. ??

Their menu suits a vast majority of people and if you haven't been for a while,(Old Jaflong) you should pay them a visit.

The new kitchen is vast with new Tandoori ovens.. and other equipment.

DulwichFox

P.S. The seaing material and colour was choosen by myself, so if you do not like them you can blame me..

I'm sure you will. :)

We went to an Indian restaurant in Tooting Broadway recently.

There's loads of them there and we chose one at complete random.

The food was cheap and we both thought it was head and shoulders above anything we'd ever had in East Dulwich.

ETA: The service was a bit unfriendly, but we think that was because we had lassis instead of beer. We'd just been to a festival on Tooting Common and had had enough beer for the day :)

ETA: And no, we weren't drunk, so that wasn't the reason for the unfriendly service :))

Well foxy I for one, will be visiting. It looks lovely from the outside and they're trying something different with music and a private area for parties. No corkage for wine and beer either, superb. Sounds like an excellent idea.

At the end of it all, you can't please everyone can you? (Especially on here)

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Well foxy I for one, will be visiting. It looks

> lovely from the outside and they're trying

> something different with music and a private area

> for parties. No corkage for wine and beer either,

> superb. Sounds like an excellent idea.

>

At the end of it all, you can't please everyone can you? (Especially on here)

> Louisa.

That is very true..

Foxy

LOL!! So fish and chips must be served by Jewish immigrants? Pizza's by Italians (but, from which part of Italy? Its a conundrum), burgers and hotdogs by Americans (or Germans?)? kebabs by Turks or Greeks (which is truly "authentic"?)

Pretentious as in believing/ yearning for the pretense that any food is prepared and eaten in the UK is authentic using the "cooked by people from the country who's food the restaurant is purporting to serve" definition.

That the bulk of that food is not authentic but is hugely popular must be wildly annoying.

You will need to stay at home and eat baked beans (American)

Haha yeah yeah.

My comment is regarding the current conversation, which you yourself (in your comment I just replied to!) are identifying "authentic Indian food".

If you now want to drag F&C and pizza into it, perhaps that's an indication you're keen to just prove some point (ANY point !). But I've only been talking about the subject at hand - you can bang on about what ever else you want obviously.

Yes. Fish & Chips lol.

My comments above are merely saying that with 'Indian' food in this country there's more available than we're palmed-off with and having looked around a bit I'm impressed by the authentic fare when compared to the 'trad' stuff - and how disappointing it seems that another High St. curry house will merge into the generic offering available to us in ED (I understand the financial/business reason, that people are generally not interested in real Indian food, that things won't change any time soon, that it'd be unrealistic to expect otherwise).

The reverse snobbery is fun to see though.

Louisa Wrote:

> If the formula isn't broke, then why fix it? Multiple

> curry houses along the lane all busy and most

> successfully been in business for a decade or even more.

Well yeah... I realise that the curry house is a British tradition, and I love an onion bhaji, lamb madras, garlic naan and pint of Kingfisher as much as anyone, so I'm not complaining as such. But there are already so many restaurants doing that, it would be good to have more choice. People don't mind paying a bit extra (and travelling) for food that's a bit more interesting, so I would have thought it would be win/win.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> If you want truly authentic Indian food, you would

> mostly be eating dhal, rice and nan.

Personally I'm not hung up on authenticity. But at least cooking a regional style is one way of differentiating yourself from everyone else, and it becomes a bit of a destination as people are interested to try it (Ganapati and Silk Road are good examples). And also "authentic" needn't equate to simple/everyday food.

KidKruger Wrote:

> If anybody wants real and decent Indian (Tamil) food, head down to Everest in Lewisham.

To be fair.. you gotta laugh at a Southern Indian place called "Everest"...

If you want truly authentic Indian food, you would mostly be eating dhal, rice and nan.

In India whether you eat the majority of your starch/ carbohydrate as bread (or breads) or rice tends to be a regional choice - so it's likely, amongst the poor, to be either rice or nan, and for slightly wealthier people perhaps a small amount of one with a majority of the other. And you shouldn't confuse what a majority of people in the sub continent would eat (based on their disposable wealth) as the choice of the middle classes in the subcontinent, which we on the forum would mainly qualify as (yes, even those screaming out their 'working class' credentials).

Clearly there are those who for religious reasons will be vegetarian or vegan (Jains, for instance) and there their diet will be much more restricted - but for those middle class without religious sensibilities the range and variety of their food (even if 'only' vegetarian) will be far more varied and tasty than simply dhal and rice/ nan.

So an 'authentic' 'Indian' meal in ED terms would not be restricted to what the majority of those living in the subcontinent might be able to afford. It would be a meal as eaten by those in similar circumstances to us would be eating. Which would be damn nice.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> If you want truly authentic Indian food, you would

> mostly be eating dhal, rice and nan.

>

I'm not sure that's true?

Certainly in Nepal dal bhat is many people's staple diet, or at least was circa 1990, but I don't think it's true of India except maybe one or two regions?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well foxy I for one, will be visiting. It looks

> > lovely from the outside and they're trying

> > something different with music and a private

> area

> > for parties. No corkage for wine and beer

> either,

> > superb. Sounds like an excellent idea.

> >

> At the end of it all, you can't please everyone

> can you? (Especially on here)

>

> > Louisa.

>

> That is very true..

>

> Foxy

Ah, good. so i presume both your new found universalism will mean say. ooh any new Pizza places will be welcomed and we won't see any negative comments?

*coughs, Franca Manca etc*

???? Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > Louisa Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Well foxy I for one, will be visiting. It

> looks

> > > lovely from the outside and they're trying

> > > something different with music and a private

> > area

> > > for parties. No corkage for wine and beer

> > either,

> > > superb. Sounds like an excellent idea.

> > >

> > At the end of it all, you can't please

> everyone

> > can you? (Especially on here)

> >

> > > Louisa.

> >

> > That is very true..

> >

> > Foxy

>

> Ah, good. so i presume both your new found

> universalism will mean say. ooh any new Pizza

> places will be welcomed and we won't see any

> negative comments?

>

> *coughs, Franca Manca etc*

Just wait and see.. New (second) Franco Manca opening soon on Lordship Lane.. :)

Trust me..

Fox.

Jeremy, it would seem a bizarre move to me for a restaurant chain to open a further branch in a neighbourhood with only limited footfall most of the week. After conversations with Nandos and Tortilla (who both looked at ED), it seems they concluded the neighborhood wasn't economically viable.

Louisa.

And yet not bizarre that yet another non descript curry house is opening where the usual offerings are served up as all the other places?

I love a curry, and the generic curry houses certainly have their place........but how boring to have another!

Would have been great to have something different........better for business too

Louisa Wrote:

> Jeremy, it would seem a bizarre move to me for a

> restaurant chain to open a further branch in a

> neighbourhood with only limited footfall most of

> the week. After conversations with Nandos and

> Tortilla (who both looked at ED), it seems they

> concluded the neighborhood wasn't economically

> viable.

>

> Louisa.

binkylilyput Wrote:

> And yet not bizarre that yet another non descript

> curry house is opening where the usual offerings

> are served up as all the other places?

>

> I love a curry, and the generic curry houses

> certainly have their place........but how boring

> to have another!

>

> Would have been great to have something

> different........better for business too

>

>

> Louisa Wrote:

> -----

> > Jeremy, it would seem a bizarre move to me for

> a

> > restaurant chain to open a further branch in a

> > neighbourhood with only limited footfall most

> of

> > the week. After conversations with Nandos and

> > Tortilla (who both looked at ED), it seems they

> > concluded the neighborhood wasn't economically

> > viable.

> >

> > Louisa.

But it isn't actually a 'new' curry house is it? It will surely be replacing the other curry house of the same name? So in fact, it's just a relocation if anything.

Louisa.