> I think coach companies operating PSVs (public

> service vehicles) have to be registered with the

> Traffic Commissioner.

>

> this page

> https://www.gov.uk/bus-registration-search goes to

> a search engine which will search for the bus

> operator. The registration number of the coach

> might be sufficient to find them -- I can't tell.

>

>

> There are regulations governing coach companies

> and where they keep their coaches -- they can't

> just leave them lying around in residential

> streets -- that saves them money which undercuts

> their competitors who run their operations

> properly.

>

> After parking enforcement the Traffic Commissioner

> might be the next port of call

Trouble is it doesn't belong to a coach company - I emailed the company whose name is on the coach and they told me they sold it three months ago!

Worth contacting TFL on this one as a couple of issues come to mind. I am not so familiar with passenger vehicle rules but as an operator of an HGV in residential areas the maximum period for parking is normally 2 hrs. This vehicle is also most likely to be in breach of TFLs low emission zone rules as I am guessing it is older than 08 and if originally owned by a operator outside London its unlikely to be modified to be compliant. There is a hefty fine for operating a non compliant vehicle in the LEZ so worth contacting TFL if having no joy with Southwark.

I just noticed the photo attached on the first post showing the coach and reg no. So I did a search and the vehicle as I thought is non compliant for the low emission zone. So aside from the southwark parking issue the owner can only operate this vehicle in the zone by paying a 200 per day charge or cop a fine of 1000 from TFL.

So report it to

[email protected]

or 0343 222 1111

or speak to the owners and they might choose wisely to move it outside the LEZ asap they may have already copped a fine bringing it into London unless they were clever enough to find a route not covered by LEZ anpr cameras,

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can understand dangerous parking being an issue,

> but after that surely ANY vehicle should be able

> to park wherever they want without being stalked

> by locals - don't you agree ?

Not really KK, though my original complaint, as you can see from the photos, was that the coach was parked in a dangerous position on a junction and was sooner or later going to cause an accident. But any vehicle, anywhere the owner wants? So on a street of terraced houses without front gardens it would be acceptable to leave a double decker bus parked for weeks, blocking not only parking for three or four cars but cutting light to the affected properties? It'd be like someone building a two storey house right outside one's front windows! Or say a lorry company had half a dozen artics they needed to stash somewhere, would you be happy for them to use the street right outside your house or flat? Obviously there has to be some give and take amongst residents of an area, but simply depositing very large commercial vehicles for long periods in residential streets isn't really on, in my opinion.

yeah but it's not down to what we prefer is it ?

If it's illegal or dangerous then fair enough, it can't park there. Otherwise it's fair game, no ?

Also we need to keep it real. Where around here has "a double decker bus parked for weeks", or "lorry company had half a dozen artics....to stash somewhere" actually occurred ?!! I'd say not at all, and, surprisingly, there's also been no rocket launchers, submarines or SNR1 model hovercrafts parked around here either, whether in units or "half a dozen"s.

All your extreme examples just don't happen, so why posture them ?!

I'm aware of no bye-laws about where larger vehicles cannot be parked, at least as far as residential ED goes and notwithstanding safety / highway code rulebook.

If someone parks a larger vehicle outside your house for a few days and as you allege 'block your light' (sniggers down sleeve) I think it's just tough luck isn't it ? You seriously think your kids will get scurvy and your indoor plants will die as a result ?!

The curtain-twitchometer is heading off the scale here me thinks !!

KidKruger Wrote:

> yeah but it's not down to what we prefer is it ?

> If it's illegal or dangerous then fair enough, it

> can't park there. Otherwise it's fair game, no ?

> Also we need to keep it real. Where around here

> has "a double decker bus parked for weeks", or

> "lorry company had half a dozen artics....to stash

> somewhere" actually occurred ?!! I'd say not at

> all, and, surprisingly, there's also been no

> rocket launchers, submarines or SNR1 model

> hovercrafts parked around here either, whether in

> units or "half a dozen"s.

> All your extreme examples just don't happen, so

> why posture them ?!

> I'm aware of no bye-laws about where larger

> vehicles cannot be parked, at least as far as

> residential ED goes and notwithstanding safety /

> highway code rulebook.

> If someone parks a larger vehicle outside your

> house for a few days and as you allege 'block your

> light' (sniggers down sleeve) I think it's just

> tough luck isn't it ? You seriously think your

> kids will get scurvy and your indoor plants will

> die as a result ?!

> The curtain-twitchometer is heading off the scale

> here me thinks !!

It was you, KK, who said that anybody should be allowed to park any vehicle wherever they want, so I've just given a couple of extreme examples to see if you hold that position no matter what. Funnily enough a mate of mine did have a situation similar to what I've described in Leeds: a removal firm parked a double height lorry outside her back to back terrace for over a month, completely cutting off all natural light in her home. It's hardly net curtain twitching (a rather cheap way of dismissing perfectly natural concerns, I'm sorry to say) to say that that is unreasonable.

'Where around here has "a double decker bus parked for weeks"' - the coach on Soames Street was there for almost a month, and according to you nobody should have complained even if it was a double decker, given that you think everybody should have a right to park any vehicle anywhere they like provided it's not a hazard.

Larger commercial vehicles (over 1.5 tonnes) need an operator's licence on which the owner has to show an operating centre at which the vehicle will normally be kept, so it's not permissible to leave such vehicles for long periods on residential streets.

OK, so there rules and operator's obligations, but outside that it's open season as far as I can tell.

We may not like it and it may irritate us, but that's tough.

I do have an interest in this because I sense we will see (the greater London area) a huge increase in folks living in large camper vans / converted vehicles as the cost of accommodation is so expensive that renters cannot save to buy. I'm all for it as it's a logical solution for those not wanting to be forced out to the further suburbs/provinces to commute in.

KidKruger Wrote:

> OK, so there rules and operator's obligations, but

> outside that it's open season as far as I can

> tell.

> We may not like it and it may irritate us, but

> that's tough.

> I do have an interest in this because I sense we

> will see (the greater London area) a huge increase

> in folks living in large camper vans / converted

> vehicles as the cost of accommodation is so

> expensive that renters cannot save to buy. I'm all

> for it as it's a logical solution for those not

> wanting to be forced out to the further

> suburbs/provinces to commute in.

Any council can pass a byelaw forbidding sleeping in vehicles on the street in designated areas or across their jurisdiction - this happens quite often in popular tourist spots. Pretty sure that's what would happen if there was an explosion of on-street campervan living.

jmes barber has already posted that old coaches have been dumped all over eest dulwich. we have one at the end of scutari road. been there for weeks. council has stuck a notice on the windscreen. much good it will do. they must come and tow these eyesores away.

Passiflora Wrote:

> Rendel, you advised people that parking on your

> street was ok a while ago so maybe that's why the

> coach turned up?

>

> I remember somebody asking about parking outside

> ED train station and you offered your street?

I said that there was usually space there when someone asked about parking for one night, for a car, when they had to get an early train from ED, yes - oh, must be my fault then. Well, don't I feel a fool now.