Loud garden party

mynamehere

How late should you be able to party outside? Should private homes have the same rules as pubs for outdoor noise?

Just asking what you think after a garden party opposite went on til 4am and forced our attendance

I think outdoor noise for private homes and pubs should be the same: respect your neighbours

It would depend on frequency to me. If it was once or twice a year and they warned me first, I'd be fine with it.

I find it more irritating when one of my neighbours have loud gatherings during the day most weekend during summer. It might not break the law in the same way a late night party does, but it does mean I never get to enjoy my garden without braying hipsters and screaming kiddies each summer.

Respect is a two-way street, and it also means respecting someone's rights to enjoy their own space within reason.

I agree with live and let live as much as I can WonderCat and Jules. The party was on the next street sharing back gardens with ours. And it was diagonally 500 meters which means there were a large number of back bedroom occupants who didn't sleep.

I had a great deal of time for calculations of people plus summer plus rights

At 4am we walked around and considered how sound does and does not travel. They stopped when we asked.

Yes to telling your neighbours yes to rights to have fun but if everyone uses the right to an all night party even once a year then that's a lot of all night parties.

All day parties? I hear your pain.

Just asking out loud : what should the rules be? To balance rights

There's still a lot of hot summer nights to work this through staring at the ceiling

I use earplugs btw

I still think everyone on your block having one or two late night parties a year is not that much.

Having said that, the law means that you can't have loud noise after 11pm and, if you didn't get any warning of the party, I'd definitely be knocking on doors in your position.

I just wish the law protected me from look-at-me parents and out of control kids, but apparently little treasures running up and down uncarpeted floors from 6am doesn't count as noise pollution. :(

I hate summer.

my sister has an annual summer party - with live band - and invites all her neighbours... it's pretty much an open door policy and we've had a number of gatecrashers over the years....

maybe I'm just immune to it all.

Generally, in terms of what's acceptable - if it's a regular event, then I can imagine that being an issue to address...likewise if there is aggression, fighting, damage, mess.

If it's infrequently then it's one of those things.

Maybe get yourself invited to the next one - then no problem!

Sorry but even in the summer 4am is taking the piss. I shared a flat on Barry Road when I was mid 20s, and we had A LOT of parties, many of which went through the night, but after midnight you move indoors, and if you're outside having a smoke you keep it down. It's just common decency on a residential street.

Yeah if it's just once a year, I'd probably just suck it up.

But I think Otta's right... after a certain time (2am?) you should take it inside, and turn the music down to a reasonable level. Give your neighbours a fighting chance of getting a few hours sleep...

There's just no excuse for it. And I hate to sound like a broken record, but certain young incomers seem to be the main culprits. They are treating a residential neighborhood like some sort of party venue. If the same sort of behaviour went on in the Home Counties towns and villages they hailed from, the locals would be up in arms and they would be in trouble. No one says you can't have a drink and laugh, just keep it down after a certain time and use some common sense behaviour like pre-warning neighbours and only doing once in a while rather than every other weekend.

Louisa.

Actually, though it's annoying late at night we have had a spate of daytime parties in our road during the lovely weather. Which is fine but with all the shrieking, singing loudly to even louder music, breaking glasses etc etc it means most of us can't use our own gardens in the sunshine or invite our own guests as they'll all be driven indoors. It's very antisocial and a bit depressing that they don't seem to care about their neighbors feelings. It does feel a bit like they need to make a huge noise to show they are having a great time - unlike the rest of us.

messageRe: Loud garden party new

Posted by Louisa Today, 03:49PM

There's just no excuse for it. And I hate to sound like a broken record, but certain young incomers seem to be the main culprits.

I don't think the age or the length of residency has anything to do with it. The most antisocial pains in the arse in our block have been here for a long time, some younger and some older.

4am is unreasonable. On a Sunday-Thursday night, 10pm would be a reasonable cut-off for noise. On a Friday or Saturday night, 11pm would be OK. If they've given advance notice then I'd give them an extra hour, but anything beyond midnight is anti-social.

Only had one that was really bad, a couple of years ago, when I called the council at 2am, and they eventually put a stop to the party at 4am. On that occasion, they really didn't care as it was a "going away" party for someone who was leaving the area.

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually, though it's annoying late at night we

> have had a spate of daytime parties in our road

> during the lovely weather. Which is fine but with

> all the shrieking, singing loudly to even louder

> music, breaking glasses etc etc it means most of

> us can't use our own gardens in the sunshine or

> invite our own guests as they'll all be driven

> indoors. It's very antisocial and a bit depressing

> that they don't seem to care about their neighbors

> feelings. It does feel a bit like they need to

> make a huge noise to show they are having a great

> time - unlike the rest of us.

Yeah, I don't mind general noise during the day, but I do get aggrieved by the loud 'gangster rap' that we occasionally have to endure on sunny afternoons. Call me an old git, but I don't particularly want to listen to screams of M*therf*ck'n' this and N*gger that, blaring over my garden fence whilst the kids are playing. Whilst I'm sure the daily travails of South Central LA 'gangbangers' is of direct relevance to those living in Dulwich, I like to keep the pimpin' and hoein' to a minimum on a Sunday afternoon.

Fpr 2.5 years now I've been in a block of low rise flats. My balcony overlooks a rectangular grassy area which has flats on 3 sides. The first summer came as a bit of a shock with music blaring and being amplified by the natural acoustics of the flats. But I've been impressed that by 10pm all goes quiet.

Except when the "middle class" street next to the estate has one of their (all too regular) street parties complete with live music. Selfish fuckers probably think that because everyone from the street is enjoying it, they're not upsetting any neighbours. I imagine they try to put the ghastly flats over the wall out of their minds.

Exactly Otta! It's these loud posh types who think it's acceptable to be anti social if it's something they enjoy. These are the very same people who are quick to judge when I'm swearing at someone on the phone or having a barney with him indoors.

Louisa.

I'm sure all the neighbours on the street were invited, maybe even people in the houses around the corner. They sure as hell weren't gonna invite the estate!

Jeremy, not late, but later than 10pm which seems to be the unwritten "turn it down" time in the flats. And seriously, the live music open air was really loud. Wouldn't mind, but it was the worst kind of bad covers band playing Mustang Sally badly.

Yes I agree a live band playing outside after 10pm is too much, you should probably try to find the organisers and put in a complaint. (and if I were in your shoes, I would probably never want to hear sodding "mustang sally", ever again).

But don't see a need for all these class based assumptions though. Why do you think they look down on people living on the estate? All this resentment seems rather unfounded.

Never said they look down on people living in the estate, I said they don't think about the estate.

And I put "middle class" in inverted commas to show that I was using it as a lazy term as it was quicker than typing "people that can afford the Victorian houses on the next street and arrange street parties". But now I've had to type that anyway.

And yes rahrahrah, you're right, class makes no difference when it comes to being a noisy arsehole.

But I guess the point I was really making, and I stand by it, is that people with more money don't tend to really consider people below them on the social ladder. That is obviously not the case for everybody, but it's more common than you may cre to admit.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But I guess the point I was really making, and I

> stand by it, is that people with more money don't

> tend to really consider people below them on the

> social ladder. That is obviously not the case for

> everybody, but it's more common than you may cre

> to admit.

I think it's more accurate to state that most people are pre-occupied with their own existential worries, whether that's affording next week's groceries or private school for little Johnny. Yet a lot of people at all levels of income help out in their community or make charitable gestures.