Group of people riding quad bikes

Anyone see the big group of people riding quad bikes and scooters? They just went down Lordship Lane doing wheelies, speeding, etc.

Surely it's illegal to drive like that? because it's the 3rd or 4th time I've seen them and I'm surprised the police haven't somehow stopped them. It's at best anti social and at worst very dangerous.

Seen them a few times- On Church Road in Crystal Palace, the narrow end by the shops, a group of about 60 scooters and quad bikes, weaving in and out of other traffic, doing wheelies, riding on the pavement- people had to duck into side streets, front gardens etc. Following them were two police bikes but not chasing them or getting them to stop, more keeping an eye on them.

I think scooter gangs are quite a big thing now in this part of London.

The scooters must have licence plates so the cops could track them down if they've got the registration. I don't think the cops can chase them because it is dangerous for the scooter maniacs and passers by and anyway, cops in cars cannot nip onto estates and into parks etc. If they track them down they should confiscate the scooters imo

titch juicy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Following them were two police bikes but not chasing them or getting

> them to stop, more keeping an eye on them.

Were they wearing helmets? I'd guess not. Police are not allowed to chase people on motorbikes if they aren't wearing helmets. So they don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32904622

Nuts. Just nuts.

Wonder if this is related to the guys on dirt bikes, who were tearing around the area around this time last year?

It was discussed on this very forum... apparently they're good kids really, it is society's fault for not providing a local off-road bike course for them.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> titch juicy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Following them were two police bikes but not

> chasing them or getting

> > them to stop, more keeping an eye on them.

>

> Were they wearing helmets? I'd guess not. Police

> are not allowed to chase people on motorbikes if

> they aren't wearing helmets. So they don't.

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-329046

> 22

>

> Nuts. Just nuts.

Indeed a lot of them weren't. If memory serves it was more hoods and face scarves. My memory is notoriously bad though.

It's happened a number of times and there have been various threads on it, including this one: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1666994,1666994#msg-1666994

The point I made before (and which I'll make again) is that the ability to act with impunity and to stick your fingers up to the police is dangerous in and of itself. The gathering at Tower Bridge, was so similar to the prelude for the London Riots in terms of atmosphere it was scary. I saw this article the other day also:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/05/conditions-that-caused-english-riots-even-worse-now-says-leading-expert?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The police need to get a grip on it.

The scooters must have licence plates so the cops could track them down if they've got the registration

A lot of them don't, or have tiny plates (so as not to be legible from a distance / ANPR camera / passing police car). And if they're not wearing helmets, hard for the cops to pull them over.

Unfortunately they've learned from the 2011 riots (where so many of the perps were ID'ed after the fact thanks to CCTV) & now all wear masks or scarves.

There's a documentary on the BBC iPlayer at the moment, Britain's Most Wanted Motorcycle Gand?

Most of the footage and interviews are from the Thamesmead estate. The guys involved seem to think that being part of 'Bike Life' is a healthy outlet for their energies and stress. Better than alternative lifestyles in the estate, like violence and organised crime.

Questions like, "Do you have a driving licence?" were sadly unasked.

This is beyond ridiculous, they put pedestrians and drivers in danger and obviously don't care about their own lives. Strict measures should be taken instead of pointing at excuses like they were not wearing helmets, which is another violation in itself...