Grannies baby club

My mum is looking after my (will be) 1 year old from September for 3 days per week when I go back to work. She has set the stipulation that I sort activities for them both on each day... but then made the comment 'will that mean I'm the only granny if its a room full of mums?'!!

It just got me thinking really - not that my mum really minds, but is there anything locally specifically aimed at grannies who child mind - I guess a mother and baby club that has a lot of grannies in it! Its not really the social aspect she craves as she has lived in the area for 40 years odd, but I would imagine that maybe granny childminders will have similar things in common?!!! (this is not meant to be a patronising post btw!) Or alternatively does anyone here have parents who help with childminding, who might be interested in play dates...(with a 1 year old from September)....

Ha ha - my mum is embarking on a similar three day a week gig, and we were just talking about that! The odd afternoon activity would go down well as I'm already concerned my noisy 15 month old will be a bit full-on for her. Well, we're seeing how it goes. She's been living abroad, and loves a chat so let me know if a g-group gets together.

How bizarre - my mum was up last week and I was suggesting just the same thing - she is looking after my (then) 8 month old from October for 2 days a week - she wants stuff to do but doesnt want to stick out like a sore thumb, so I have been trying to convince her that there are a fair few grannys looking after little ones in ED.

Perhaps we should put them in contact with one another, as I think as soon as there is more than one of them going to caterpillar music or whatever it may be, they will feel less conspicuous!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Just been looking through the forum for exactly what you have been searching for! I used to take my eldest to the Coppleston Church Centre (Coppleston Road runs North from near ED train station and is near corner of Danby Road SE15) play session on Tuesday mornings 10-12 where there were always a few activities set up - playdough/ painting, baby soft mat area, biscuits/coffee and songs towards the end of the session. it's a big hall so enough room for the kids to move around in without stepping on each other! Always very friendly with a good mix of childminders/ mums&dads and grandparents. I am going to suggest that my mum takes my (will be) 1 year old there in September/October. I live nearby, so any other grandparents who might be local to us would be welcome to meet for a playdate or meet up at nearby Warwick Gardens where there is a small but fun playground or even Goose Green play area. Please PM me if interested in arranging something for the autumn. Mrs Wiggle.

My mum will also be doing a two day week for us starting in a couple of weeks times for our nearly 7 month old :)) she will be here looking after baby paps on a Thurs and Fri - anyone fancy trying to establish a first meet up for them and then letting them sort it out from there??????

My Mum looks after our 14 month old on Tues, Wed & Thurs every week. She does Monkey Music on Tues, Sing & Sign on Wed and Gym Babes on Thurs ..... she would definitely be up for coffee / play dates (if she has the energy after our little girl runs her ragged!!). Any grannies up for anything .... drop me a line.