Bother on the 12

Bryan Cocksedge

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I got Spotted Dick on the back seat of the number

> 12.

Well that'll teach you for waving it about like that, in an oh-so unsavoury fashion....

I experienced a similar incident last year, although the gentleman said it was was a 'Quiche' on that occasion, after a brief but heated discussion over the recipe I concluded that it was a 'Alsace Lorraine' (onion tart) & not a 'Quiche' This accusation of advertising under false pretences, led to a rather uncomfortable silence for the rest of the journey.

KP, forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of this Alsace Lorraine (other than as a region of great deliciousness). I know of an Alsation onion tart, and I know of a quiche Lorraine, but an Alsace Lorraine? Pray tell, what is it, and do you have a recipe?

It is a name sometimes given to an 'onion tart' that was a classic of that region, it is in effect a Alsation onion tart aas you identified correctly, I have have heard it called and use the term myself Alsace Lorraine.

Assuming that you know the recipe for that I have included a very nice "quiche Lorraine" recipe for your delight instead!

Happy Cooking !

for the pastry

50g/2oz butter, cut into cubes

110g/4oz plain flour

pinch salt

1-2 tbsp iced water

1 egg yolk

a little beaten egg

Blend together the butter, flour and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip into a large, roomy bowl and gently mix in the water and egg yolk with cool hands or a knife, until well amalgamated. Put into a plastic bag and chill for at least one hour before rolling.

Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4.

Roll out the pastry as thinly as possible, line a 20.5cm/8"-wide by 4cm/112"- deep tart tin and blind bake - line the uncooked pastry case with a sheet of tin foil and fill with some dried haricot beans, for instance - for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, reserving the foil and beans. Brush the inside of the case with the beaten egg, which will form a seal. Return to the oven for a further ten minutes, until it is golden, crisp and well cooked, particularly the base.

for the filling

8-10 thin rashers of rindless, smoked streaky bacon (Italian pancetta is perfect) cut into 1cm/12" pieces

1 small packet cream cheese

4 egg yolks

3 whole eggs

400mls/34 pint double cream

12 bunch chives, finely chopped

a little salt and much pepper

freshly grated nutmeg

Lightly fry the bacon in a dry non-stick frying pan until a little crisp and some of the fat has run out. Drain on kitchen paper and spread evenly over the base of the cooked tart case. Whisk the cheese with the egg yolks and whole eggs. Stir in the cream and chives and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Turn the oven down to 325F/170C/gas mark 3.

Pour the custard into the case. Fill it as full as you dare - there is nothing more sad than a half-filled quiche. If you find it easier, fill half the case first and the rest once it is in the oven, using a deep spoon. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until set. Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before eating, as hot tarts tastes of very little.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> KP, forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard

> of this Alsace Lorraine (other than as a region of

> great deliciousness). I know of an Alsation onion

> tart, and I know of a quiche Lorraine, but an

> Alsace Lorraine? Pray tell, what is it, and do

> you have a recipe?

Oh, blinking arse, RosieH, you had to ask.

The chances are the bleeder will only go and pigging well tell you.

And of course RosieH, it Blimey-Nora went and happened.

Didn't spot it coming over the page.

Mind, he's very thorough that KidneyPunch, I'll have to give him that.

And he gave us that 'hot tarts taste of very little' line at the end, which I thought nice.

There's a Jonathan Ross/Graham Norton/James Corden ten minute spot in the making there.

Cheers, KP.