Lets talk about pubs

scor46

Never really been a fan of the Doves.

It's a big hit among my friends from over that way, that and the cambria, and I'm aware it's active in the community, has art and tha' and used to have the sexiest barmaid in existence a few years ago.

But I've always found the staff disinterested (though occasionally thigh-rubbing inducing) and the food of clock house quality for clock house prices.

Having got all that off my chest, nice garden.

Oh and it's a pub. And the cherry is a bar, and green&blue used to be a wine shop, now I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I like i' alo'.

Bishop? Ooh, I'll weigh in on bar, but juuust.

Not sure it's a dictionary definition thing, more a hunch thing. And your hunch probably changes as you get older.

To Louisa it's probably neither a pub or a bar; purgatory perhaps? ;-)

It may be at the extreme north western edge of Greater East Dulwich but the Sun and Doves is pretty unique and definitely worth investigating.

I don't share Mockney's experience of unfriendly bar staff either.

The owner, Mark Dodds, is an active member of the SE5 Forum and an extremely friendly chap although he does whinge a bit about the trials and tribulations of leasing a pub from Scottish and Newcastle. Sounds like you can empathise though scor46.

I have been trying to get him to shake off his integrity and cash in by converting the Doves into an Elbow Room...

http://www.se5forum.org/forum/index.php/topic,608.0.html

One could make a sliding scale with PUB on one end and BAR on the other. Some places are very clearly one or the other but there are plenty that are somewhere in-between or that slide up or down depending on the time of day or even the time of week.

I think there are a number of factors the affect an establishments pubby or barriness including the smell of the gent?s loos and the amount of hair gel used by the staff.

I quite like the idea of the sliding scale. I think I shall call it the PUB-BAR. Anyone handy with Flash?