Orange mobile reception in SE22: Problems??

Today I got an email from Orange that is enough to send me into the arms of AN Other mobile provider. If it wasn't for that pesky 87 year contract (well, ok, 18 months then). They confirm they're doing maintenance but not when it'll finish. I'm still having problems with my reception but I guess I'll wait till 17 July before asking again about their work around East Dulwich. Grr.

Thank you for your email regarding coverage in the SE22 area.

We are currently experiencing a large number of queries that have caused a back log of emails, making it very difficult for us to respond to you in a timely manner. Please accept my apologies for the lack of response and the delay you have experienced.

I am also sorry to learn you have been experiencing coverage problems. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I can confirm that maintenance work is being carried out and trust that normal service will be restored as quickly as possible.

I can advise the network and services may from time to time require upgrading, modification, maintenance or other works. This may result in some or all of the services becoming temporarily unavailable. In such cases, we will do everything we can to keep the period of non-availability to a minimum. However, some interruption may be inevitable.

Orange are committed to improving the network, with numerous sites planned to be installed across the UK. You may if you wish visit the Orange website at www.orange.co.uk and view under coverage.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still having trouble with my phone coverage (although I am not entirely sure it is not the Iphone as well as the provider). I rang Orange on Friday evening and they told me that work is continuing on the masts until at leat the 23rd July and that if I still had problems I should call them again. Have had the phone for two months and had problems with it since the start - driving me crazy. Am going to work out how I can get out of the contract. I saw that apple were offering full refunds if not entirely happy - so don't see why Organge wont except my phone back!

Hartvl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am still having trouble with my phone coverage

> (although I am not entirely sure it is not the

> Iphone as well as the provider). I rang Orange on

> Friday evening and they told me that work is

> continuing on the masts until at leat the 23rd

> July and that if I still had problems I should

> call them again. Have had the phone for two months

> and had problems with it since the start - driving

> me crazy. Am going to work out how I can get out

> of the contract. I saw that apple were offering

> full refunds if not entirely happy - so don't see

> why Organge wont except my phone back!

Hartvl, hate to say this but the full refund is only offered to those with an iPhone4 not 3GS.

Perhaps call Orange and state that you entered the contract on the basis that they would provide you with a service, and you pay for said service, you are keeping up your end of the contract but they unfortunately are not.

Can but try

Well, my reception is still rubbish, and has been for two months now. It's definitely getting worse - first it was just in my house (Copleston Rd), now I can't get decent reception at work (Bellenden Rd) or in the street either. My HTC's reception was okay until the last couple of months. If Orange can't fix this soon, I'm buggering off to another network - my contract's up for renewal soon anyway, and I don't see any reason now to renew it.

I had this problem with a new orange phone (although not an iphone) and it was because it was set to automatically use 3G and apparently the 3G coverage in the area isn't great. If you change the network settings to GSM (I think that's olden-days style signal) it works fine. Or mine did anyway! Not sure if it's the same with new iphones though so might not be any use at all..!

I have the new iphone on the orange network and have had no end of problems with the reception. I am also going to see if I can get out of my contract via Apple's commitment to refund all 4g iPhones before September. As I see it they will have no choice but to pay off the contract as well.

I have had an Orange mobile contract for years, and have had very few problems.

But isn't it the case that work is being done to Orange masts at the mo, which has a knock-on effect on other masts, and that this is due to be completed in a few weeks?

My husband's Orange iphone 3G had this problem a few weeks ago, and on contacting Orange, we were given the same information about transmitters being down etc. However, I have an old "ordinary" mobile with an Orange Pay as You Go sim which I keep for emergencies. To my great surprise, while my husband's phone had no signal, I could make and receive calls on the Pay as you Go easily. He therefore rang Orange and told them that, and after a lot of huffing and puffing, they eventually put him through to their dedicated iphone team who told him how to temporarily turn his phone into a 2G. It then worked perfectly. I'm not sure what he did, and wouldn't want to recommend anything myself anyway, but you could try ringing Orange and asking them for instructions. Eventually the 3G system came back on again, and today seems OK so far, but I will warn him that others are having recent difficulties.