Double Standards - Smoking while pregnant and complaining about another's parenting skills

cate

No thanks Bob. Keef is the only one who admitted to smoking near his child so I was responding. PGC said she smoked while pregnant but she didn't say about afterwards. This is a forum isn't it?

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cate - you should nip round and show Keef and his

> Missus where else they're going wrong,

> parenting-wise.

>

> I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

*sniggers*

I used to babysit for a little girl and both parents smoked around her. She suffered badly from respiratory problems and glue ear. The ceiling in their flat was yellow from nicotine.

cate Wrote:

> No thanks Bob. Keef is the only one who admitted

> to smoking near his child so I was responding.

> PGC said she smoked while pregnant but she didn't

> say about afterwards. This is a forum isn't it?

No he didn't, he specifically said 'well away from' (his daughter)!

Brendan Wrote:

> Can I make a request that we keep the

> sanctimonious opinions regarding other peoples?

> parenting restricted to the Family Room please?

Can I request that we don't? Really not welcome in the family room either.

ClareC Wrote:

> cate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No thanks Bob. Keef is the only one who

> admitted

> > to smoking near his child so I was responding.

> > PGC said she smoked while pregnant but she

> didn't

> > say about afterwards. This is a forum isn't

> it?

>

> No he didn't, he specifically said 'well away

> from' (his daughter)!

I think if you are smoking in the vicinity of your child or any child then that is near. Your clothes absorb the chemicals as does your breath. Unless you are changing your clothes and then brushing and rinsing your mouth then your child is still exposed to the chemicals.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I keep our child in an air filtered glass box,

> lest a stray whiff of smoke might catch the

> breeze, curl up his nostril and kill him dead in

> an instant.

Good for you. Do you smoke?

Brendan Wrote:

> Can I make a request that we keep the

> sanctimonious opinions regarding other peoples?

> parenting restricted to the Family Room please?

Brendan, if there aren't divided opinions about the OP we would all be sitting on a fence, some smoking and a bit further down (depending on wind direction),others not. Besides the Family Room is all sweetness and light isn't it?

cate Wrote:

> Good for you. Do you smoke?

Occasionally.. assuming I can get 100ft clear of any child, out of line of sight and the prevailing winds are right.

Sweetness and light? Wouldn?t know, I never go in there. My assertions are all based on hearsay.

I don?t suppose anyone can tell me if I need to get a car seat professionally fitted or if I buy it online I can secure it myself?

cate Wrote:

> ClareC Wrote:

> -----

> > cate Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > No thanks Bob. Keef is the only one who

> > admitted

> > > to smoking near his child so I was responding.

>

> > > PGC said she smoked while pregnant but she

> > didn't

> > > say about afterwards. This is a forum isn't

> > it?

> >

> > No he didn't, he specifically said 'well away

> > from' (his daughter)!

>

>

> I think if you are smoking in the vicinity of your

> child or any child then that is near. Your

> clothes absorb the chemicals as does your breath.

> Unless you are changing your clothes and then

> brushing and rinsing your mouth then your child is

> still exposed to the chemicals.

Don't be ridiculous, the carcinogens are in the smoke itself and are released when tobacco is burnt, they don't hang around in clothes, only the smell does and although it might not be pleasant that is hardly going to harm your child.

Brendan - I can save you the trip into the FR.

You can buy one and fit it yourself but you may need to have the seat belt professionally shortened for it to fit properly.

Be sure to get a seat with a removable fabric cover so you can easily wash it when it starts to smell of smoke too much.

That's a myth - mine was 8 14 and I smoked all the way through.

What's a myth? If you admit to smoking all the way through your pregnancy then it is hard to take anything you say seriously about health. I take it you also smoke(d) in the presence of your child. Someone I know also smoked during her pregnancy and she had a very low birthweight premature baby.

So that's one (PGC) who had a big baby, and one (someone cate knows, and has probably lectured regularly) who had a little baby. Blow me, these figures are mind boggling!

cate, perhaps you should write a parenting book, people need to be told what to do, by other perfect people. If my daughter gets very ill, you can smile knowingly at me, and tell me you told me so.

PS. I never smoke in my house, I do out in the garden. I shall be sure to start hosing myself down before re-entering the house in future.

Keef, you should be ashamed of yourself.

People like you shouldn't be allowed to have children. They should be at taken - once reaching masturbatory age - held down, and have their knackers smashed between two half-enders.

well if as I am sure Keef smoke naked in the garden, hose himself down before he puts on clothes the child is properly relatively safe 8-)

I take it there will be no children outside on Lordship Lane where I have seen people smoke?

Wow, so defensive Keef. You and Bob should form a club.

I have no desire to write a parenting book. But, while we are on the subject of parenting, I do know someone else who drank steadily through her pregnancy and gave birth to a child with many problems. He was eventually diagnosed with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome. It's very common to babies born on American Indian reservations where there is a huge problem with alcoholism.

I don't remember lecturing my friend who had the premature baby. My feelings on smoking weren't as strong then as they are now. But while with her one day she did have a man come up to her in a pub who scolded her for smoking while pregnant. After the baby was born she banned any smoking around the child.

Eunuchs for England

This could also improve England's chances of winning the world cup again.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Keef, you should be ashamed of yourself.

>

> People like you shouldn't be allowed to have

> children. They should be at taken - once reaching

> masturbatory age - held down, and have their

> knackers smashed between two half-enders.

I wasn't being defensive cate, I was taking th p!ss, because your attitude makes me laugh.

My feelings on smoking weren't as strong then as they are now

Why, prey tell, has your attitude changed?

No one on here has suggested that smoking is big or clever, but I wonder if you realise just how patronising and judgmental you sound.

Try this