New photos on wall in North Cross Road

Sue

Please see my posting re Did you move to ED post 1945 -we hope to have a photographic display of post 1945 ED at our local history event in October and asking for contribitions from local residents ( copies please of your photo's) also written and verbal stories of ED life.

An excellent selection of photographs.

I didn't know that the tram tracks outside Dulwich Library were lifted as late as June 1953.

Also "good" to see a photo of the great East Dulwich vandalism of 1958.

As a matter of historical accuracy: the architect's view of (what is now) Dulwich Hospital has an impossible 2-2-2 steam engine on the railway tracks. If the LBSCR ever had such a locomotive it would have been scrapped in the 1850s.

John K

The photos are absolutely marvellous, really worth a walk to have a look at. I love trams & was also very interested to see who used to own the shops that are so familiar to us now. Brilliant idea.

We had the official opening tonight. lots of people stopping to take a look and some had made a special trip.

IF you have any old photos of the East Dulwich area or Southwark please do get in touch with me and lets get a copy for the local history library - might be used for the next round of photos to be displayed.

"As a matter of historical accuracy: the architect's view of (what is now) Dulwich Hospital has an impossible 2-2-2 steam engine on the railway tracks. If the LBSCR ever had such a locomotive it would have been scrapped in the 1850s."

That might possibly deserve recognition as the the "Anorakiest Post of 2010".

And I think it's oddly wonderful!

Chener Books Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a matter of historical accuracy: the architect's view of (what is now) Dulwich Hospital

> has an impossible 2-2-2 steam engine on the railway tracks. If the LBSCR ever had such a

> locomotive it would have been scrapped in the 1850s.

>

I've not seen the photo, and probably wouldn't know what made the pic impossible anyway, but according to this the LBSCR was using the Craven 'Jenny Lind' class locomotive until at least 1877 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Craven_locomotives, and more 2-2-2s were introduced and lasted until 1914. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stroudley Lots more, on all the Whyte types, Jenny Linds, LBSCR, etc, etc, on Wikipedia, for thems with anoraks and filled thermoses. ;)

Ian,

At a push the engine could be a Jenny Lind [Engraving of Jenny Lind here] but I don't think so. I'd like to know what you think when you've seen the photo.

It's still wrong though as in 1887 the East Dulwich line had Stroudley, Billington, and Marsh tank engines.

I thought the later 2-2-2s were tank engines.

I'm looking for an expert to write the "railways" section of our next local history book. Have I found him?

John K

John, I'll mosey on up there some time. An expert? Absolutely not. I guess I'm just intrigued by the ontology, especiallly the notion of impossibility. Tomorrow it could just as easily be absolute offences, or carniverous varieties of begonia, if someone mentions them. My expertise never extended further than collecting sightings of steam locos when I got the train to school. I'm still waiting for Channel Packet, 35001.

>It's still wrong though as in 1887 the East Dulwich line had Stroudley, Billington, and Marsh tank engines.

Respeck.

Here is Engine 35001 Channel Packet.

The wheels of a Engine are like this 1724927[1]

Under the Whyte notation for the classification of steam locomotives, 2-2-2 represents the wheel arrangement of two leading wheels on one axle two powered driving wheels on one axle, and two trailing wheels on one axle. This type was named Jenny Lind, after Jenny Lind, a popular early 2-2-2 design, and sometimes Single, although that name more commonly means any kind of locomotive with a single pair of driving wheels. Other equivalent classifications are: In the UK some 2-2-2s were made by James Holden as a result of his experiments removing the side rod from a 2-4-0

East Dulwigh Railway Station was named Champion Hill when it first opened in 1868. It stands where Grove Vale meets Dog Kennel Hill.

I too adore the photos, but continue to have a gnawing suspicion that the Underhill Road one was printed back to front?

The shots of the Odeon cinema and the demolition of the Lordship Lane railway bridge are almost heart-breaking!

Why have the references to bomb damage in East Dulwich been removed from this thread, as some of the photos show bomb damage and there was a discussion about it at the official opening yesterday?

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen the photos today and was really impressed.

My family grew up here in the 1930s/40s and I'd love to show these photos to my Mum.

Are they available digitally anywhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody/some people appear to have tried to prise a number of these photos off the wall - again.

Luckily they haven't succeeded, but some of the photos are now all bent at the top corners.

Incredible :-S

There's an image of the original St Clement's Church (Friern Road) in the exhibition and I've got a photo of the church after the first fire when the tower was rebuilt as well as a view of the original church from Barry Road that also shows a garden party going on in the Vicarage garden. However, I currently only have them as pdfs. Anyone know how I can upload them?

Attached are the three photos I previously mentioned. For anyone interested, the church was dedicated on 19 April 1885 and remained as in the first image until December 1928 when a fire broke out causing considerable damage to the spirette. The second image, showing the square tower, was taken around the beginning of 1932. The last attachment shows the original church as seen from Barry Road. It was taken in the vicarage garden, which formed part of the old Manor House garden and was said to include a hawthorn dating back to the time of Queen Elizabeth I.

Great photos, Ian.

I like the contrast between the lower middle class vicarage tea party at the end of a hard day and the mass feeding of the East Dulwich working classes.

> the old Manor House garden

Interesting. Do you know whether they were refering to the new (c1700) Friern Manor/Farm House, or the original medieval Friern manor house that was at a different location?

John K

Noticed last night, another picture has been stolen. Some others damaged.

It's a great shame, but I did say this would happen at the meeting

in the Palmeston earlier this year when the idea was first suggested.

It was a nice idea that isn't going to work in ED.

There are simply too many scum bags around.

Hi DulwichFox,

Plan is to rotate pictures so I'll ask for replacement.

'scum' should never cause us to live timidly. This is great scheme that's brought a lot of enoyment and we will conitnue to keep it until residents get bored of it.

Where and what next?

Sculpture hanging of off a wall at the junction of Lordship Lane with East Dulwich Grove?

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Noticed last night, another picture has been

> stolen. Some others damaged.

>

> It's a great shame, but I did say this would

> happen at the meeting

> in the Palmeston earlier this year when the idea

> was first suggested.

>

> It was a nice idea that isn't going to work in ED.

>

>

> There are simply too many scum bags around.

xxxxxxx

CCTV?

Or fake CCTV as deterrent?