>

> Well yes, I thought he was worthy of a mention if

> only because of 'Colours' even though he was a

> drug imbibing 'head'.

>

> Chuck Berry is responsible for many big hits over

> a lifetime Johnny B Good and Roll over Beethoven,

> to name but a few.

Quite right SteveT, Chuck Berry is a wonderful musician and a lyricist par excellence, as it were.

But not perhaps the nicest of individuals who ever walked the earth, and I suppose why should he be?

Read his autobiography, it's amusing at times, but as dreadfully self-serving a tome as it's possible to write.

That whole, taking an under-age girl over county lines? A bit of a misunderstanding is all.

As Keith Richards (who not just idolised him, but pretty well built a career around him) remarked after he worked with him on the 'Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll' film "I couldn't warm to the man if I was cremated with him".

Yes I have most of Joe Jackson's albums. Classics of their time. Interesting anecdote there HB!

And we have not had the wonderful lads from fIREHOSE ex Minutemen, yet, with the lyrics

"I am aware there are definite errors in my thinking. Example? Knowing I can't know."

And of course the whackily beautiful David Byrne "This is not my beautiful wife!"

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a question- why can't women write good

> lyrics? Or can they? If they can why no mention of

> any here?

>

> Answers? Theories?

No reason to expect the world of songwriting to be any different to any other kind of workplace.

That said, I'd guess that a majority of people prefer male 'voices' (ie both the words and the actual voices) in songs to female. They just do. Women are drawn to men for obvious reasons. And a lot of men just feel more comfortable with men singing.. perversely, even if they're singing (as they often are) about crying, love and other hurty stuff,

There's an A-level essay in there somewhere for someone.

If you twist my arm I'd have to settle for Joni Mitchell. Just because it is so hard to settle on one songwriter whose words have penetrated your consciousness in a telling way and she has such lyricism. However, that was a long time ago and far away. Currently? I'm listening to Elbow and some of their words seem quite apposite: "There's a hole in my neighbourhood down which of late I cannot help but fall." Could that be EDF? I feel a new thread coming on.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a question- why can't women write good

> lyrics? Or can they? If they can why no mention of

> any here?

>

> Answers? Theories?

I mentioned Rennie Sparks of the Handsome Family - she's female (just has a deceptive name)!

But you've made a good point.

Good point.

So - Joan Armatrading.

Minnie Ripperton (did she write 'Lovin' You'?)

Janis Ian

All in my LP collection!

Corrine Bailey Rae, not, but I like her.

And let's big it up for that quiet shy type who nevertheless wrote a few great songs - Courtney Love.

But easties has some point in that in the main I like rock/pop music for the tunes and Some of the narrative....in reality, with a few exceptions, without the music the lyrics are poor and often pretentious, within a song they often work...I think Bowie is a good example of this say.