Prams, number 63 bus and aggressive driver!

Here Here Ann. Whilst i think its great that buses are accessible at times people do not appreciate that prams need to be folded if buses are busy - something which many are not pre-pared or don't know how to do. I appreciate the example on the 63 the bus was empty. Years ago not folded can't get on but then I think society was more disaplined then.

beaver14uk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here Here Ann. Whilst i think its great that

> buses are accessible at times people do not

> appreciate that prams need to be folded if buses

> are busy - something which many are not pre-pared

> or don't know how to do. I appreciate the example

> on the 63 the bus was empty. Years ago not folded

> can't get on but then I think society was more

> disaplined then.

I totally appreciate that prams need to be folded at busy time, unless it is mandatory to fold prams at all times (which to my knowledge it is not), then its not unreasonable to allow a sleeping baby continue to sleep and not fold a pram. If the bus was busy it would be a totally different situation.

Prior to having my daughter I regularly used the 185, 40, 12 and 176, I didn't come across any unpleasant drivers at all. On the few occasions I have used these bus with the pram, ive had no problems at all - but then I have only travelled by bus with a pram a handful of times in the 6 months since my daughter was born. I have also only travelled at quiet times.

I started this thread because the new design is very restrictive for many buggies, not just "large" one's. Also the driver concerned was not simply 'doing his job' he was was unnecessarily unpleasant and aggresive, he was not provoked in any way shape or form and there was no reasonable explanation for his behaviour. As mentioned I have purposely not provided any description of him as I specifically did not want to risk starting a "witch hunt".

Do London buses really want to encourage those with prams who have car's to drive rather than take the bus, increasing congestion and pollution?

Following the appalling manner in which I was treated for no apparant reason I would think twice about taking the 63 again, far more appealing to drive!

I have twins and a toddler, now even if I have the twine on their own who are now coming up to 12 months old how on earth would itbe possible to hold them both and fold up a pram? My twin pram normally goes in the space which is reserved for wheelchairs. Now I have actually gotten off the bus with the pram when we came to a stop with a young man in a wheelchair who wanted to get on and adjust waited for the next bus and I would be happy to do this every time. Seriously though should I get off to let more people stand in that that same space and then what walk for an hour to get home. Began forbid us mothers should use public transport. Last time I travelled on the bus I was told to get a car and that I should indeed not be on the bus with my ginormous pram, heaven forbid they should just move down the isle to make more space for themselves or I don't know wait for the next bus! Apologies for the rant but the amount of times I have encountered avoids on the bus I have lost count especially the sucking throughout teeth thing - what is that all about. I now have a car, a ginormous gas guzzling tractor as it is the only thing that would fit all the car seats and pram in. Pay congestion charge - now settle for huge diesel bills and abuse for having a bug car - at least I can just put the. Windows up ;) people should just be a bit bloody nicer on public transport, a few years down the line and it could be you!

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, im not at work now so i will say my peace.

We all need to co-operate whilst on a bus. I do except that it can be hard for a parent and baby on a bus, but we all need to work together on this. The limit for pushchair is two, and we must remember that the rear doors are a emengency exit for everybody. Nobody will remember that this was a design for the disabled who have priority of this facility. Maybe suggestions made to bus designers might be a better idea. I do not approve of rudeness from drivers, and this should be dealt with. We must remember that the responsiblilty of the bus is the drivers, and in this day this can be a heavy responisbility. Lets try to think about the whole picture, drivers can have trouble pulling into stops as people park there thoughtlessly. Passengers need to be allowed to secure themselves before the bus moves off. please remember that the bus driver does not know how many passengers are at the next stop, so even an empty bus might suddenly get full, so can the driver let on that extra buggy now, and cause discomfort in loading later? I have seen the biggest most inpratical buggies attempting to get on buses, its a bling culture, so maybe a little more thought when purchasing one maybe worthwhile. I mean that someone with a buggy must have trouble in other situations, maybe around town or access to shops and building. I feel that we must all look back and see how OUR transport system was, and how it has improved. I know that it is not perfect, but it is more accessible. So lets think of how we can improve it for everyone! Let all be more patient with everyone, and maybe, just maybe that bad temper driver might be a little bit more understanding next time.