House safety check list for crawling babies

Saila

My baby has just begun crawling

I'm trying to think of things in advance but wondered if you had any tips

I'd rather not learn the hard way....

1. Sash windows (open top half not bottom)

2. Stair gates

3. Wires and plug socket covers

4. Bleach out of low cupboards and into high cupboards

anything obv i've missed?

thnx

was it on here I read that you should pretend that you've had a three foot deep flood and move everything up accordingly?

Also have found that I need to vacuum almost daily as my toddler will eat ANYTHING he finds on the floor that looks like it could once have been edible. Might be an idea just to get down on your hands and knees and see what you can see... You'll feel silly maybe but it helps to see things from the right perspective :o)

- blind and curtain cords (shorten them)

- radiators (when in use)

- toilet seat (apparently nice to get your chops around when your know no better!)

- doors (might slam on baby so get those things that wrap round door edge to prevent full closure)

- heavy books that can be pulled off shelves and land on little toes (actually anything heavy..ditto)

- freestanding lamps (that can be pulled over)

- drawers (that can shut on fingers)

- floorboards - make sure there are no little nails sticking out as that's not kind on little knees

- lightweight furniture that might tip up/over when grabbed

erm...pretty much the list is endless but since you can't keep baby in am empty room you just have to be there to teach baby what is safe and what is not and maybe after the 1000th time of saying he/she might just remember not to teeth on that wire!!

best of luck, and just think how much more fun it will be when baby can reach up higher!

Think I remember Buggie (our resident senior A&E nurse) saying that the most common injury she sees for babies in the home is pinched fingers in doors, so the non-close things seconded.

Once baby starts pulling up, a stovetop guard is useful.

We moved a few obvious things (like the nasty sharp chopper attachments for the magimix) out of low-down drawers etc, put up stairgates and fixed tall bookcases to the wall. Also bought a playpen/room divider and never used it as a playpen - have one half in front of the fireplace and the bookcase that has most valuables on it, and one in front of the drinks cabinet (!). The rest we kind of learned as we went along.

Someone else on the forum recommended this a while ago so I'm now passing the info on. Southwark Council has a scheme whereby for ?10 someone will come to your house and do a safety assessment, and give you ?60 worth of safety equipment. They even install baby gates and cupboard locks for you. Brialliant! Just ask your health visitor to refer you to the service.

-A

• 1 month later...

Yes, I was the one who said about pretending you've been flooded (though others may have said it too). It's a good way to think about what needs to be moved up out of reach.

I understand socket covers are no longer needed (someone posted a link on to here to an article that explained why). Modern sockets are designed so actually very hard to electrocute yourself.

I have to say I never did all the stuff they recommended, and it does depend a bit on your child & your lifestyle DD1 was at a childminders 5 days a week, and only home for an hour pre bed time. Then at weekends was well supervised and never bothered with kitchen cupboards etc. though I did move cleaning stuff up high, didn't have locks or anything. Some children seem way more prone to mischief than others. You can childproof as you go along to a certain extent, though obviously some stuff, like fireguards etc. are essential.

What I did was make one room totally baby proof and have a babydan play pen opened up across the exit to form a barrier so I could contain her and let her play freely in a good sized space, whilst I could also sit and relax, or leave her safe whilst I answered the door etc. This worked really well for us with both children.

It can be good to have some stuff which can't hurt them but they can get to, either as entertainment (little ones will spend hours pulling books off a shelf for example), or to start to understand that not everything is OK to touch...the sooner they learn about leaving stuff alone on command the better - need not be by saying 'No' you can practice diversionary tactics, or have a 'sound' you make like 'ah ah' when they mess with stuff they shouldn't. Believe me this is worth its weight in gold later when you go to houses that are not baby proofed!

You just need to ask your health visitor to refer you. That's how I did it after another forumite recommended it and she knew exactly what I was talking baout. They contacted me fairly quickly too. Failing that, I suppose you could ring the council.

-A