Camberwell Grove bridge closed for at least 6 months

gm99

• 3 weeks later...

Please see attached link below as to the current position. I'd urge you to forward to all your contacts and get them to write in as individuals and not one e mail per Familiy to Southwark on the address attached - [email protected] and come to the consultation in September. The surrounding streets can't cope and it wont be long before theres one Mexican Stand off too many...

http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200083/roadworks_and_highway_improvements/585/bridges_subways_and_walls/2

Many residents on Lyndhurst Grove and the surrounding streets are very concerned about the levels of traffic and pollution on the road, caused by the diversion of traffic from Camberwell Grove, because of the closed railway bridge. We have been petitioning for the bridge to be opened - but the people on Camberwell Grove are campaigning for it to remain closed. A number of us have been in conversation with Southwark Council, and we have said that the increased traffic on Lyndhurst Grove is extremely dangerous for parents taking their children to school, and most days there is a stand off, and huge arguments as due to all the parked cars the road doesn't allow for two-way traffic. It's also affecting the wider area of Bellenden Road and adjacent streets as all the traffic is funnelled down one route.

There is a meeting on September 20 to get local people?s thoughts and we want to spread the word. A high attendance is needed at the meeting to prevent the bridge being closed for ever. All the information is here.

http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200083/roadworks_and_highway_improvements/585/bridges_subways_and_walls/2

What the precious residents of Camberwell Grove should remember is that the road was a major road long before they pitched up.

This road did not appear overnight and all those purchasing properties in this road would have known this before they bought.

It is all about them and increasing the value of their properties, no more nor less.

This closing nonsense was thrown out at the last meeting when the neighbourhood turned out is force because they knew of the meeting.

Apart from this post I have not seen any official notification about the 20th September meeting. Why? Like most things with Southwark you have to be in the know and the fewer the better who know it can be passed on the quiet.

Avondale Rise has definitely been busier since the bridge was shut. It can get a bit fractious sometimes if the P13 is squeezing its way up or down. The crossroads with Copleston can get a dangerous for pedestrians in the rush hours. I guess this is one of the 'longer' diversions to avoid Camberwell Grove entirely as a roughly north-south route. It really does need to be re-opened; streets are neither the property of, nor the private indulgence of, those who choose to live on them.

What about one of those temporary bridge decks that would sit over the existing road? One of those kind of military things?

Where/what time is the meeting on September 20th? - I don't see details on the links on previous messages.

I also live on Lyndhurst Grove, right where the road narrows to one lane, and the increase in traffic has been absolutely terrible - I have seen two arguments that have almost come to blows - and get horns beeping outside constantly. With the primary school just one block down - that has to be the main concern for everyone surely.

Personal view - the solution for Lyndhurst Grove is to intervene there as well - traffic calming and/or banned turns. Through traffic belongs on "A" and "B" roads, which are properly engineered for it. Residential streets are for.. well, clue's in the name.

Has Southwark Council anything to gain by failing to get the bridge opened? Seems a great way to put pressure on surrounding areas, perhaps with a view to limiting parking etc...? As others have noted, 17k is not so much- 3 bike hangars- perhaps it suits council officers to keep the bridge closed.

This seems like saying that taxes are what people richer than us should pay, with the threshold defining "rich" moving in line with our earnings! Lyndhurst grove, which then changes name to McNeil road, is a half-mile relatively straight stretch of road. Why ban it? Because it's not an A road? But wouldn't banning most traffic from non-A and non-B roads cause even more congestion? Btw, NIMBYs will be affected too, because they might see less congestion in their own road, but worse congestion down the road means more pollution - even for them.

Also, the structure of roads in London is extremely irregular, certainly very different from the orthogonal structure of other European cities. Closing a single road may mean long detours, which, again, mean more congestion and pollution, even for those who don't use a car. And, before anyone accuses me of being an evil motorist, let me say I do not own a car, and that I started commuting by motorcycle when the Southern Rail fiasco made my commute by train impossible.

The dispute between the residents of Camberwell grove and those of Lyndhurst Grove seems a dispute between two sets of NIMBYs: no one wants traffic on their road, but there is no consideration whatsoever for what might be best for the city as a whole, nor why...

"The dispute between the residents of Camberwell grove and those of Lyndhurst Grove seems a dispute between two sets of NIMBYs: no one wants traffic on their road, but there is no consideration whatsoever for what might be best for the city as a whole, nor why..."

I do not think it is a case of being a NIMBY, apart from the Grove residents as most other people just want the bridge to open to get traffic flows back to how it was before this recent closure.

Until the bridge closed there was not a problem regarding traffic flows in all the surrounding areas.

Bridge open..no problems, bridge closed.. massive problems.

Whatever your thoughts about the advantages and disadvantages of closing Camberwell Grove, I'm attaching a link which explains the council's current position and shows you where and how to have your say. Please circulate as widely as possible and make sure your own voice is heard on this! http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200083/roadworks_and_highway_improvements/585/bridges_subways_and_walls/2

Whatever your thoughts about the advantages and disadvantages of closing Camberwell Grove, I'm attaching a link which explains the council's current position and shows you where and how to have your say. Please circulate as widely as possible and make sure your own voice heard on this! www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200083/roadworks_and_highway_improvements/585/bridges_subways_and_walls/2