stealth parenting techniques and triumphs

poppy

This week, amongst the usual chaos that is life with a boisterous nine month old, I had two minor triumphs of which I was rather proud:

1. I have been managing to keep him still and the right way up on the changing mat by offering him various normally forbidden objects to play with: my old mobile phone, a calculator, an empty Calpol bottle (I emphasise the word empty) and a redundant remote control. No longer does he attempt to crawl away with poo all up his back.

2. He ate his fish pie after I cunningly interspersed spoonfuls with random surprise spoonfuls of apple crumble.

I know there are flaws in these strategies (potential choking hazards, not ideal to encourage playing with medicine bottles, apple crumble has sugar in, yadda yadda yadda) but hey, he's supervised and they work, so I thought I would share and in doing so, throw open the floor for other people's stealth parenting tips, particularly of the rather unorthodox variety that you won't find in The Baby Whisperer, Gina Ford etc etc. I'd love to know what other little tricks people have that make life a little easier!

Poppy & Ruth - you might like to try this technique to get you through the difficult nappy changing stage;

To change nappy;

Sit on floor on your bottom with legs out in front of you, in a V shape. Place baby at right angles to you, with your thigh over his chest to pin him down, and his feet in the direction of your other leg. You can then change him quickly and easily, with both hands free, without him moving, and even if he protests it will all be a lot quicker and less frustrating/traumatic than the general baby rolling and crawling away, poo everywhere, stressed out red sweaty Mummy thing....

Usually you only have to do it for a week or two and they stop playing up about nappy changes anyway because they realise you've got them beaten!

One of the best tips I've ever been given, handed down through generations of Nappy Ladies!

I've posted this before, and had many endorsements from other parents who (sometimes cynically) try it out with great success!

Molly

Molly - now that is an absolutely brilliant technique! I so wish I had known that with my first. Nappy changing was an utter nightmare and he didn't potty train till past 3, so basically 2.5 years of hellishness!! Anyway, No.2 still ok about nappy changes, but will implement it as soon as there is a wriggle....

I managed to take back a hideous dolly I'd succumbed to in a 'can't get her out of Toys R Us moment' by saying that her favourite dolly had told me that she was upset because she didn't think she was my daughter's favourite any more.

Bad lie - but she handed the offending toy back to me saying 'I don't want to upset baby'.

Result!