Scans at Kings

ratty

Just thought I would mention this....

had our 12 week scan at Kings on Friday for our second bundle of joy. The people carrying out this were, in one word, delightful. Both called Ana, both ladies were charming, polite, cheery and seemed as excited as we were. They even had a go at guessing the sex with us - saying that they were 70% sure.

Kings gets bad press on here from time to time. But chatting to people in the waiting room Friday afternoon, it was clear that people had come from far and wide to use the unit. It really was a delight!

Hmm my recent experience was not quite so 'delightful' - I felt very prodded and poked, and I do think they don't make it very clear whether what they are doing is nec for the NT scan or whether it is part of their research. Nevertheless I do think we have an amazing unit on our doorstep - I did not realise the Nuchal scan is not even offered in some areas, and yet not only do we get it as a matter of course, we also get the results the same day. Oh also - I was called in exactly on time!! Hurrah!

I've had loads of scans during my pregnancy due to a couple of things. One of the only scans my hubbie couldn't make I came out feeling like I'd been a bit of a spare part, that things hadn't been explained to me (they'd repeatedly taken the same measurements without thinking to explain to me that they were having probs getting results they were happy with) and so even though on paper things were still going ok I didn't feel reassured and was worried.

Anyhoo, roll on 4wks and I'm back for another scan (with hubbie) and the same research fellow comes in to do the scan - well, I couldn't hold back and made it clear how uncomfortable I'd been last time (felt a little bit bad at how much of a go I had but hubbie thought I'd not been too bad :-$).

To be fair to him he took on board and explained what had happened and went on to very clearly explain everything he'd been doing.

Don't think it's their intention to leave Mums and Dads in the dark so do question/ask for explaination if unsure of what their up to/why.

I think it's really hit and miss, depending on who you get. I had a dreadful experience at my 20 week scan, where they did find something slightly unusual which can be a marker for other health issues for the baby. Honestly the Research Fellow treated me like a slab of meat on a trolley. Didn't give me eye contact, got grumpy because the baby was in the wrong position, didn't explain once what he was looking at, asked me whether I had had the chromosomal tests (I had chosen not to) while still staring at the screen. When I asked "why?" he said very bluntly 'would you keep the baby if there was anything wrong'. I mean how unbelievably tactless is that?! I was 23.5 weeks at this point. I was utterly panic stricken. After the scan he explained the problem in a very vague way leaving me to look it up on the internet and freak myself out even more. It totally ruined the rest of my pregnancy and I couldn't enjoy it until the little thing was born and I could see for myself that he was absolutely perfect.

I phoned up and made a complaint and spoke to one of the midwives in the department, who was very reassuring on the phone. At a follow up scan I asked if I could be scanned by a midwife and I have to say she was amazing. 2 students were also there helping and they were great too. They knew how worried I was and explained everything to me. Every little detail and did some 4D scans just to put my mind at rest. It makes such a difference having a bit of humanity and someone realising that it is a concerned woman lying there carrying a baby. Having someone say 'there is your beautiful baby' makes such a difference!

Rememeber that one's experience of the scanning procedure is very coloured by the outcome. When all is rosy it's laughs and joy and guessing the baby's character traits, when there's an indicator for an abnormality, there are long silences, extra measuring and probing, trying to ascertain the full details before presenting them to you....when something's wrong or potentially wrong you are frightened and angry at everyone - but it's not necessarily the scanner's fault.

Horrible to hear about buggie's and cuppa tea's bad experiences :-( Poor you two. It must be most of the most emotional wards in the hospital, so words really need to be chosen carefully.

I think I had Ana for my first scan - lovely I seem to remember! Second time there wasn't much communication and it went on for an hour and a half - suddenly, the hard bed seemed very comfy and I started to snooze...

gwod Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rememeber that one's experience of the scanning

> procedure is very coloured by the outcome. When

> all is rosy it's laughs and joy and guessing the

> baby's character traits, when there's an indicator

> for an abnormality, there are long silences, extra

> measuring and probing, trying to ascertain the

> full details before presenting them to you....when

> something's wrong or potentially wrong you are

> frightened and angry at everyone - but it's not

> necessarily the scanner's fault.

I'm afraid this wasn't the case. He was totally rude and non-communicative before we even found out anything was 'wrong'...which wasn't until after the scan was over. It was guess work up until that point. The bit where he told us what this meant actually wasn't as bad, as he was at least very matter of fact and didn't dramatise it. It would have been professional to have looked at my notes and known that I had not had the nuchal scan, rather than ask me while I am lying there with an image up on the screen. I had several precautionary scans after this one and the sonographers who did them were very professional, polite and informative and I felt like an actual person. To be in such a people related profession and have such dreadful communication skills just seems crazy.