Attempted theft of motorcycle

singalto

nunhead_man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My missus says CCTV is overkill - starting to

> wonder

Unfortunately I don't think CCTV deters them anyway. They wear helmets and take off their license plates so can't be identified. They just don't care.

nunhead_man Wrote:

> My missus says CCTV is overkill - starting to

> wonder

To be honest all you're likely to catch is a film of guys with helmets on and false reg plates...if I was still biking (had to give up after my beloved Aprilia was nicked and the insurance became higher than the value of the bike!) I'd invest in one of those motion sensors that texts you if it's interfered with and maybe a GPS tracker.

I have requested that the council look at including a separate section with ground anchors for parking motorcycles at the end of some of the proposed yellow lines at each junction that they insist on installing. Where included that particular section of yellow lines could be a bit shorter while still maintaining the sight lines that appear to be the purpose of the lines.

I think, rh, that the ACTUAL point of that BBC piece was that because of your 'precious' EU laws, the perps cannot be chucked out even if they are caught....but of course you have to take ANY allusion to foreigners committing crime as some sort of extreme right-wing rant -

However, the Telegraph may give a more 'intellectual' slant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/12176689/Law-abiding-rapist-let-back-into-Britain-because-it-would-break-EU-law-to-deport-him-to-Romania.html

No, I don't take any allusion to foreigners committing crime as a rightwing rant; as pointed out, foreigners do commit crimes in almost exactly the same proportions as UK natives. However, when somebody wades into a discussion about bike crime in which not one person has mentioned the nationality of the perpetrators, saying "what are the government supposed to do" and linking to an article about foreign criminals being deported (incidentally if you read the article it's reporting on a highly dubious claim made by the Leave campaign during the referendum) that person is clearly implying that the criminals will be foreigners, even though there is no evidence to that effect and statistically they are far more likely to be UK citizens, then yes, that is a rightwing rant.

uncleglen Wrote:

> I think, rh, that the ACTUAL point of that BBC

> piece was that because of your 'precious' EU laws,

> the perps cannot be chucked out even if they are

> caught....but of course you have to take ANY

> allusion to foreigners committing crime as some

> sort of extreme right-wing rant -

> However, the Telegraph may give a more

> 'intellectual' slant

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration

> /12176689/Law-abiding-rapist-let-back-into-Britain

> -because-it-would-break-EU-law-to-deport-him-to-Ro

> mania.html

Someone who confused the EU with the ECHR, which is nothing to do with the EU and which we're still committed to.

I had an Aprilia RSV4. They more than likel tracked me home, or noticed it from a scotter drive by. It was stolen to ordr,no doubt. You can't have a nice bike in London unless it's locked inside a garage. That's the end of the story, really. My wife had her bike stolen, but got it back as it had a tracker. They found it, and another 20+ bikes stored with it.

Get a tracker if you've got a nice bike. Always ground anchor, always covered, always alarmed.

I also came out of my flat one morning at 3am, as something woke me up (i lived opposite the Actress) an 2 guys were wheeling another bike into a van. I shouted at them, and they dropped the bike and took off. I got descriptions, reg of the van, reg of the scooter. The police traced the van, but said there wasn't enough evidence to do anything. Pathetic.

Any East Dulwich ward residents who want a ground anchor in their front garden can have them installed free paid for by the council in our local attempt to prevent crime.

Email me for the application form with your address as well so I can confirm you're the area of benefit of the current ward boundaries.

Most friends and acquaintances who had their bikes stolen had invested little to nothing in security.

Guys, get a proper chain and try to secure it to some fixed object: a lamp post, if possible, the gate of your driveway, an anchor, etc.

Anything can be cut. If you google it, you'll find a video, dating a few months back, of two gentlemen on a scooter using a portable angle grinder to cut the chain of a Ducati in Soho, in broad daylight. Anything can be cut, but some chains are harder than others. Ignore what you can get from hardware stores and bike dealers, and go for Almaxx or Pragmasis chains; get at least a 16mm chain: it can be cut with a grinder, like anything, but not with bolt croppers.

Get a GPS tracker, but watch out for battery drain if your battery is small and you leave the bike unused for a while. Modern bikes with 12Ah batteries can stay parked unused for more than 2 weeks, without BikeTrac (the most used GPS tracker AFAIK) killing the bike's battery.

Alarms are useless - they simply drain the battery; so are alarmed chains and locks: muffling the sound is all too easy. The only thing which might make sense is the ulock with an alarmed remote, so that if someone tampers with it the remote wakes YOU up - counting on strangers or neighbours intervening won't help. Of course this only works if you keep your remote a few metres from the bike. I don't remember the name of the product, but google is your friend.

James Barber Wrote:

> Any East Dulwich ward residents who want a ground

> anchor in their front garden can have them

> installed free paid for by the council in our

> local attempt to prevent crime.

>

> Email me for the application form with your

> address as well so I can confirm you're the area

> of benefit of the current ward boundaries.

To confirm the last bit it isn't "any East Dulwich" resident, just before people get their hopes up. It depends on ward.

• 4 weeks later...

We had an anchor fitted by Southwark and we're not in East Dulwich ward.....definitely worth looking into.

I would also disagree with DulwichLondoner who says that alarms are useless. They can be the first line of defence and enough to deter would be thieves. I think there are generally 2 types of bike thief: kids who are going after automatic scooters and then the pros who target the superbikes. I would say in the case of the kids they aren't going to be carrying enough kit to muffle an alarm. Also if we're talking about the anchors then we're working on the assumption that a lot of people are keeping their bikes in their front gardens, therefore you would hear it.

I just fitted these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L5P4GAO/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item to both my motorbike and Mrs Willard's scooter. Takes minutes to fit and for ?23 why wouldn't you?

@Willard, all it takes to muffle the alarm in a disc lock or padlock is to cover it with a towel - especially covering the tiny holes where the sound comes from; no specific kit required. Alarms installed on a bike are not as easy to muffle, of course. I don't like them because they drain the battery and can interfere with the electronics of the bike, but we all have our preferences.

Of course anything can be cut; at the end of the day, nothing can resist a portable angle grinder (noisy) or some hydraulic bolt cutters (way less noisy). Btw, neither tool is particularly expensive nor hard to source.

Last December, two distinguished gentlemen were filmed and chased away while trying to steal a Ducati in Soho square, in broad daylight, using a portable angle grinder. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/moment-heroic-bystanders-halt-thieves-bid-to-steal-40k-ducati-superbike-in-broad-daylight-in-soho-a3414021.html

Oh, and the policy not to pursue such gentlemen, especially if they remove their helmets, does not help much: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32904622

@JamesBarber Hi James, I'm on Hindmans Rd so I believe that falls into Peckham Rye ward.

@Dulwich londoner - The alarms I have just fitted are not disc or padlock alarms, but yes I can see how they would be easy to muffle. They are hardwired into the battery and are fixed inside the bike. In order to stop them you would have to bust into the bike or under the saddle. Not really sure how you could muffle it therefore. Like I say, 20 odd quid, 5 minutes to fix, comes with 2 remote key fobs to activate and deactivate, amazing reviews on Amazon. Why wouldn't you do it? In a similar way to house burglaries, every deterrent you can add helps.

If anyone on here wants to fit one but doesn't feel confident doing it, PM me and I will do it for you for free. (instantly regrets saying that).