Sainsburys etc no staff to bag up at checkout V poor effort imho

pop9770

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> And, if you are a Sloe Gin maker, their gin is

> really cheap and of good quality!

Thanks Loz, great tip!

I love Lidl, despite their (its?) faults.

Just find it a bit of a trek to get there ....

tomskip Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

>

> In Peckham Lidl just before Christmas, I saw an

> opened box of tissues on the shelf! For some

> reason that really rattled me. Someone going round

> the shop obviously had a nose blowing emergency

> and instead of just buying the whole bloody box

> for 95p or something, they thought it was ok to

> open the box for a handful of tissues and leave it

> there.

95p?!?!?

What were they made of, silk?

You can get tissues much cheaper in Sainsbury's. And even cheaper than that in Tesco's.

:))

I have used Lidls in Peckham, Sydenham, Southend Lane, Beckenham, Catford, and further afield. I rarely see out of date or rotting food ( seen more out of date/rotting food in our local independent shops).I think it depends on the time of day you visit as to how busy they are and how many tills open.

Personally I've never come across rotting food on the shelves of Lidl or Aldo.

And as I say, they do VERY good business, I am pretty sure they won't lose any sleep over a few people not rating them. I always find them friendly in the Sydenham / Pange Lidls, and Catford / Penge Aldi's, which are the ones I use.

I've never bought fresh produce in there, and TBH I probably never will. But it's useful for some things... coffee pods, chocolate, breakfast cereals, all cheap and perfectly OK. The selection of beers is OK too.. their own range of ales (described as 'craft beer', ?1.50 for a large bottle) and some Belgian ones too.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I've never bought fresh produce in there, and TBH

> I probably never will. But it's useful for some

> things... coffee pods, chocolate, breakfast

> cereals, all cheap and perfectly OK. The selection

> of beers is OK too.. their own range of ales

> (described as 'craft beer', ?1.50 for a large

> bottle) and some Belgian ones too.

and some Nuts and Cheese OK

and Olive Oil.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> How hard is it to bag up your own stuff?

It depends on whether you have a full large trolley load.

By the time you have emptied it at one end, stuff is building up at the other end.

Unless there are two of you,it holds everybody behind you up, especially when you have to pay as well

I use one (or two if required, they stack) of those large garden bucket / container thingies.

Cart it round and fill it on shopping trolley, empty onto conveyor at till, reload on trolley, push to car, at home lift into hallway and unload from there / drag to kitchen. no bags, no aggro.

KidKruger Wrote:

> I use one (or two if required, they stack) of

> those large garden bucket / container thingies.

> Cart it round and fill it on shopping trolley,

> empty onto conveyor at till, reload on trolley,

> push to car, at home lift into hallway and unload

> from there / drag to kitchen. no bags, no aggro.

They are round, aren't they? How do you fit things into them without wasting a load of space?

Not saying you can't, just interested :)

I generally use the containers as, well, large containers.

There may be some spaces between items, but conveniently that doesn't add weight and I don't mind my purchases having a bit of space around them - after all they do have feelings.

I leave the geometric / topological analysis to clever folks, while I innocently get my shopping sorted.

to be fair rahrah I don't actually go to supermarkets anymore, especially when buying cheese. Why breeze arund in 2mins when you can prevaricate and pose or HOURS outside a trendy cheese shop, fish shop, butcher, flower shop, bakery ?

(Jeez, starting to sound like a modern day high street there , eh ?).

You can tell times have moved on when finally, after ED High St has rebuilt itself after being devastated by Sainsbury in the early 90s, people complain about the what is basically the return of a normal run of shops again at long last.

Some people are now conditioned into believing supermarkets trump local shops.

KidKruger Wrote:

> to be fair rahrah I don't actually go to

> supermarkets anymore, especially when buying

> cheese. Why breeze arund in 2mins when you can

> prevaricate and pose or HOURS outside a trendy

> cheese shop, fish shop, butcher, flower shop,

> bakery ?

> (Jeez, starting to sound like a modern day high

> street there , eh ?).

>

> You can tell times have moved on when finally,

> after ED High St has rebuilt itself after being

> devastated by Sainsbury in the early 90s, people

> complain about the what is basically the return of

> a normal run of shops again at long last.

> Some people are now conditioned into believing

> supermarkets trump local shops.

I don't think most people take issue with having a useable high street, maybe a minority. It's clear from recent trends that larger supermarkets are end of week 'big shops' are not as popular now. The growth of indepdent shops locally is to be celebrated, but they have to be relevant for everyone. Retail diversity is incredibly important. Rye Lane is a classic example of this. Segregated retail options are not healthy, we should have high streets with independent options for every income bracket.

Louisa.

I feel pretty disconnected from Rye lane, there's little I do/would use there

There's lots of shops for sure, just not that many for me to make a 'shop' viable. Mind you, I feel the same about Surrey Quays, and Bromley Town Centre,

Horses for courses I suppose.

I'm not sure about this 'for every income bracket' bit, nice conceptual idea, it just doesn't pan out in real terms. For instance, take Camberwell Road.

It's got lots of shops, Cash Converters, Piri-Piri Chicken etc, but no Giorgio Armani or Apple Store or Waitrose or Channel.

KidKruger Wrote:

> to be fair rahrah I don't actually go to

> supermarkets anymore, especially when buying

> cheese. Why breeze arund in 2mins when you can

> prevaricate and pose or HOURS outside a trendy

> cheese shop, fish shop, butcher, flower shop,

> bakery ?

I buy from supermarkets, I just do everything online and get stuff delivered. I never managed to 'breeze round' Sainsbury's in 2 minutes, it was always a long and tedious activity which is why I stopped going a few years back.

My point was just that I haven't been in Dog kennel Sainsbury's for a long time so don't know whether they still sell packing boxes, but I always found them helpful.

It's weird that you stripped my comment of context and then jumped to some imagined scenario of me posing outside the butchers (as though avoiding walking around a supermarket with young kids is some sort of self aggrandising pretension.