Lowlights of 2016

titch juicy

the description of the 40 year decline is spot on. but I fear the hope of transfiguration from populist reaction is infantile.

nothing structurally has or will change. the Tories are already plotting to neutralise the judiciary given the likely verdict on parliamentary approval for leaving the EU. Trump already has that power. In the UK, social services, the nhs, and the prison service are in terminal crisis. brexit will mean anything but brexit (you can tell this immediately from May's bluster) but will no doubt involve immigration controls that will severely constrain the economy. an already reactionary government will get more reactionary in the hope of appeasing populism. dark days ahead.

Am I allowed to say Uncleglen? or does that cross the political line.

I think that I can say Farage drinking in my pub because he is an rrrssss irrespective of his politics.

I'd have the Daily Mail in this except the loathsome publication would be a low point of every year.

Can I have a highpoint? Hillsborough/justice. Although that could also be seen as a lowpoint of the last 30 years (ie that the authorities' cover up and the hatred expressed by some of the media)

Brian Eno is 68; 19 years ago he would have been 49- old enough to know what he was doing with regards to his taxes.

Yu can say what you like about me- I have personal experience of the loony left and its fascist attitude to the people of the this world who create wealth and jobs. The way that the educated left have crapped over the real dispossessed working class of the UK whilst persuading them to vote labour. And it is interesting to note that the ONLY people who support open door policies are people who,like Brian Eno and all his cleb pals, have made their money and are totally insulated against the negative aspects of the ridiculous policies of the EU.

Angela Merkel (and Adolf Hitler) would be proud that the EDF is so supportive of the United States of Europe

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Angela Merkel (and Adolf Hitler) would be proud

> that the EDF is so supportive of the United States

> of Europe.

Yeah, and same goes for the trendy lefty limpwristed yellow-bellied surrender monkey tosser who said this:

?We must build a kind of United States of Europe.. The structure of the United States of Europe, if well and truly built, will be such as to make the material strength of a single state less important.. If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can.?

What was his name? It's on the tip of my tongue...oh yes, Sir Winston Churchill.

titch - do you feel like starting another thread now :)

my lowlight - this was the first year where it became apparent that i need to look after myself as i head into early middle age. i used to be proud of my ability to treat my body like a temple of sin and still get up in the morning and play football - no longer.

rendelharris Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Angela Merkel (and Adolf Hitler) would be proud

> > that the EDF is so supportive of the United

> States

> > of Europe.

>

> Yeah, and same goes for the trendy lefty

> limpwristed yellow-bellied surrender monkey tosser

> who said this:

>

> ?We must build a kind of United States of Europe..

> The structure of the United States of Europe, if

> well and truly built, will be such as to make the

> material strength of a single state less

> important.. If at first all the States of Europe

> are not willing or able to join the Union, we must

> nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those

> who will and those who can.?

>

> What was his name? It's on the tip of my

> tongue...oh yes, Sir Winston Churchill.

Sky talking about divisions in the UK this morning.

They interviewed some girl who works down the chip shop in

Burnley and she said there's going to be civil war.

JohnL Wrote:

> Sky talking about divisions in the UK this

> morning.

>

> They interviewed some girl who works down the chip

> shop in

> Burnley and she said there's going to be civil

> war.

I love it when they do this on TV news. Let's talk to Sandra in Maidstone to get her view on the prospects of the world economy. Yes, let's go that I'm sure it will be highly enlightening @_@

It really hasn't (70 years since end of WWII by the way), or at least not since the Romans - check out the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe#21st_century. (Of course it's arguable - were the Troubles in Ireland a war or an insurrection, for example - but no nation states have gone to war)

No, peace was hardly mentioned during the campaign which is another black mark against the incompetence of the Remain side, it being one of the strongest pro-Europe points, surely? I recall that Helmut Kohl was once asked why he was so keen for the EU to succeed: "We need it to stop Germany starting another war," he replied. An extraordinary thing for a leader to say about his own country, but revealing.

absolutely agree rendel. hugely enlightening talk by Chris Patten on Heath's motivations on bbc Parliament yesterday: why he went the second mile to persuade de Gaulle and the rest of the EU in the early 1970s. Primary motivation: a distrust of the USA (one that stands in marked contrast to the later narcissism and stupidity of Blair) and the direct personal and tragic memory (shared with other cabinet members) of intra-European destruction in WW2.

Indeed - Harold Macmillan also, who suffered terribly in WW1 (fought at the Somme, wounded three times and suffered pain and incapacity for the rest of his life), recognised the dangers of being isolated from Europe and fought hard to get the UK into the EEC (the French vetoed us, hmm...). It's a truism that as time passes and we move further away from the appalling horrors of pan-European warfare successive generations grow more and more blas? about policies which could lead us back down that awful path. Those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them...that's why even Churchill, as above, hardly a pacifist, recognised that European unity was the best way to ward off the awful nightmare, and by and large it worked for seventy years. As to whether the fragmented Europe so earnestly desired by leavers from all nations will be as lucky as our generations...

uncleglen Wrote:

> Brian Eno is 68; 19 years ago he would have been

> 49- old enough to know what he was doing with

> regards to his taxes.

> Yu can say what you like about me- I have personal

> experience of the loony left and its fascist

> attitude to the people of the this world who

> create wealth and jobs. The way that the educated

> left have crapped over the real dispossessed

> working class of the UK whilst persuading them to

> vote labour. And it is interesting to note that

> the ONLY people who support open door policies are

> people who,like Brian Eno and all his cleb pals,

> have made their money and are totally insulated

> against the negative aspects of the ridiculous

> policies of the EU.

> Angela Merkel (and Adolf Hitler) would be proud

> that the EDF is so supportive of the United States

> of Europe

There's a lot of dislike in many of your posts UG

CAPITAL letters and dismissive language. I wonder what's happened in your life to make the apparent bitterness show through, what was so out of your hands that it still stings so.

Im curious, you seem to say your 'don't care' about this and that. But most people care about something, and you've chosen to engage in what is a pretty liberal centralist view forum. I wonder what you're hoping to achieve by being the way you are.

Conversation, conversion, sticking it to the people. I'm not sure, maybe you could explain, i'm interested.

Thanks