Advice on Duvets

I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. They have all-seasons duvets so i can swap them from a thin one in summer. to a thicker one in autumn and then put them both together if it gets really cold. Think they're 4.5 tog and 9 tog. Currently got the 9 tog on and its about right as our heating isn't on at all yet.

My mum is a bit of a duvet expert and always swears by fogarty. Debenhams have a sale section where you can usually pick up some bargains. Think I got ours at half price.

Think Ikea do a good childrens duvet if you can bear going to get it?

Our eldest (now 6) has always been a really hot sleeper - regularly bathed in sweat when I go to check on her at 10/11pm, no matter what the time of year, so I've always gone for a light duvet for her, and she has a blanket which can be added if required. I think most children tend to be quite warm at night don't they? Or is my girl a bit odd?!

Molly

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think most children tend to be quite

> warm at night don't they? Or is my girl a bit

> odd?!

>

My daughter is exactly the same - sleeps completely naked and has done for some time now - she has a 4.5tog duvet which unless its chilly ends on getting kicked off too - think her body temperature is set to Northern, just like her Mammy ;)....

This is digressing slightly but I have a good tip for stopping duvets getting kicked off when they are little. A friend suggested it and it works brilliantly. Put the duvet widthways across the bed and tuck both ends under the mattress. Also stops them falling out of the bed in the early days.

On topic, I would agree with others that its best to go for a light tog. In the summer, we just take the duvet out and they sleep with just the duvet cover. In the winter, a blanket on top works.

Have fun shopping.

We recently bought our 3 yo his first duvet, and were interested to read c/o John Lewis that 'When choosing a full-sized duvet for a child, unless their bedroom is very cold, it's best to stick with a lighter weight duvet between 4.5 and 9 tog. As children are smaller it means that their duvet traps more air and increases the level of warmth over and above that experienced by most adults. A heavier 13.5 tog duvet may well prove uncomfortable, and is not recommended'

No idea what research that's based on but in general my son still seems to like and be happily warm in lighter bedding than his parents.

I bought my son an all-seasons wool duvet and it's really fantastic. He tends to be on the hot side at night and never overheats in it because it's very breathable and light. They work by weight rather than tog. Most of the time he uses the summer weight one. We bought one for ourselves too and I love it. I don't feel like i'm vacumn-packed to the bed.

I got an all seasons which is a 4.5 tog and a 9 tog which you can use separately or button together. Little ones definitely don't need the same tog rating as adults. As it was for a single bed, and we wanted it to last for years to come (assuming it's the same bed now that she'll sleep in for years), we got ours from John Lewis, but I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives out there too. Currently, she's in the 9 tog but her room is like the Arctic overnight.